You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-14 06:14:03

blankego

Firefox: screen frozen

After the last system update, every time I launch firefox or chromium the screen freezes, i.e. a swath of the image of the screen before the starting of firefox repeats in diagonal direction, fills up the whole screen, and the whole system hangs, I have to press the reset to reboot. I thought the video card driver, for which I installed nouveau, is broken. I reinstalled it, but it fixes nothing. Only if I open up opera first and keep it alive, then magically  firefox and chromium can be started and run normally. I'm running out of ideas, couldn't think of anything that might cause this problem. As for the window manager, I installed xfce and lxde, they both suffer the same problem.  The boot log is fine, all modules loaded successfully. I also tried rebuilding the ramdisk image with mkinitcpio, no error, yet it solves nothing. So, please help me out of this!

#2 2013-02-15 23:33:10

the sad clown

Re: Firefox: screen frozen

I would look into differences between Opera and the other two browsers.  Off the top of my head, the first two use gtk2 while Opera doesn't.  That isn't a solution so much as a suggestion of where to look.  Other than that, I would try relocating the browsers profiles and checking if you have any misbehaving plugins.

Edit: Regarding gtk2, I you could check that by changing themes and seeing if that helps.

Last edited by the sad clown (2013-02-15 23:33:58)

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2013-02-16 00:52:13

thisoldman

I can sympathize, I had exactly the same symptoms using Openbox with no DE.  After the hard freezes and untimely restarts caused a few too many filesystem fscks, I gave up trying to diagnose the cause and went to nvidia-304xx.  Switching to an nvidia driver isn't a true solution but it is a work-around.

I also had some success by opening firefox in safe-mode first, shutting it down, and then reopening it in a normal mode.

#4 2013-02-18 02:57:45

emegeve
Website

Firefox and Thunderbird causes the crash for me, exactly the same way that user blankego describes. Chromium, Opera and Midori runs normally.

I'm using the x86-64 architecture, XFCE, onboard GeForce 7025 with Nouveau driver and latest updates applied (at the time of writing this).

The crash does not always happens. Sometimes I can launch Firefox and use it until the end of my session. I've not yet determined what conditions triggers this bug.

Last edited by emegeve (2013-02-18 02:58:31)

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".

Voltaire.

#5 2013-03-05 21:29:52

blakedev

I have the same problem but only when I try to open a pdf or with some flash videos, which leads me to think it may be a plugin problem. I think there were a couple of instances when it would crash with just facebook or gmail though.

#6 2013-03-05 21:52:56

emegeve
Website

thisoldman wrote:

I also had some success by opening firefox in safe-mode first, shutting it down, and then reopening it in a normal mode.

Starting Firefox in Safe Mode does not solve the problem for me.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it".

Voltaire.

#7 2013-03-05 22:02:16

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

I experienced crashes like this with Midori in a plain Openbox system, too. Twice at least the last few days: a complete system freeze.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer