You are not logged in.

#3001 2013-02-16 07:25:57

WretchedEgg

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello Archers.
My name is Jonathan and I'm from Monterrey. México. I'm a 17 years old student, and almost 2 years old in Linux. I like anime (but don't consider myself an otaku), physics and math. Used to be a distohopper and a desktophopper but now I am rehabilitated. Now I only use Arch in my desktop and Manjaro in the netbook, both with Xfce, My english is not very good so forgive me if I make some mistakes.

Last edited by WretchedEgg (2013-02-16 07:30:37)

#3002 2013-02-16 08:05:12

WonderWoofy

Welcome to the forums WretchedEgg. Rest assured, your English is just fine. Perfectly parsable by this native Californian.

#3003 2013-02-17 02:15:09

surya
Website

Hallo all,
I'm from Indonesia, and it's my first time use arch linux, smile
Nice to meet you all..

#3004 2013-02-17 02:20:43

cdx8664

Hi everyone,
My GNU/Linux experience includes Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu.  I've been using Arch as my main since early November.

Today, I registered my nick on freenode and subscribed to arch-announce, arch-general and aur-general, and, of course, here on the forum.

There's a lot I don't yet know; but that's an ongoing learning process.  I'm looking forward to helping others in the process.

Edit(Sun 02:22:09): Hi surya.  Good to meet you too.

Edit: Fixed spelling of 'forum'.

Last edited by cdx8664 (2013-02-18 07:06:06)

#3005 2013-02-18 17:15:49

Malsasa
Website

Hello, I came from Indonesia.

I interested so much in crowded community, up to date user forum, and innovative technology. I think this BBS has it smile So I join.

I don't use Arch yet, but wanna do it someday.

I wanna feel the rolling release... until now I don't understand with that (I never update my Ubuntu)...

smile thank you...

Last edited by Malsasa (2013-02-18 17:16:11)

#3006 2013-02-18 19:42:43

mlan

Hi.

Finding my way back to Arch after being in the Ubuntu world for a while. I found the whole Unity thing quite annoying (using gnome shell now). But I found the installation procedure way different now since the last time I last installed Arch (2010) and a bit more difficult and time consuming.  I actually had to read the beginner guide this time smile

Last edited by mlan (2013-02-18 19:44:07)

#3007 2013-02-18 21:08:02

WhiteHatHacker1

Hi! I've been usin' Arch since the beginning of January, this year, and just decided to say hi.

#3008 2013-02-19 06:04:15

ViperDVMan

Hello everyone. I finally got into exploring the world of Arch Linux back in December. And no, I did not try the arch-based distros like Bridge Linux, Manjaro, Cinnarch, or ArchBang beforehand. I went straight into installing vanilla Linux.

Now I have a friend in a video game themed IRC chat who helped me out with installing Arch on my desktop, though his method differed slightly from the Beginners' guide (it was mostly the same steps, just slightly out of order) . But I have a working Arch. So call me a new Arch user. Like a number of Arch users, I started with Ubuntu, and then played with all kinds of Ubuntu and Debian based distros before I decided to try out Arch. Mind you, it's not a complete system, as I could use some assistance on getting a few little nagging issues worked out (all of minor nature, not get in the way or take from the experience). And on top of it, I run the KDE desktop.

So far, I love running Arch. Pacman's become just as much second nature to me as running APT. I actually prefer installing stuff from the AUR over using PPA's in Ubuntu (and distros based on it). And I never have to install a new one every 6 to 18 months. Arch started out as more of a toy for me, now it's become a sort of secondary Linux, and possibly will become my primary while I relegate Kubuntu to secondary.

#3009 2013-02-21 21:57:47

Joehs

Hello all!

Totally newbie to the linux world, but stumbled upon this great distro the other day.  I've messed around with Ubuntu a few times previously, but never committed to learning anything about linux. 

As of about an hour ago, I have a full arch setup done on a VirtualMachine running KDE.  It's nothing fancy, but it seems to run, and I've been able to follow along with the manuals and informational guides posted around here.  Kudos for having a great community that keeps everything up to date!

This time around, I'm going to commit to learning Linux, and this distro specifically.  My home box is a windows 7 setup, that has all my music/movies/games on it.  Unfortunately, it's set up with a boot/OS drive (one hard drive with windows files only) and a raid0 array for data storage.  From the reading I've done, Raid isn't easy to get arch to recognize, and it seems like it's going to be just a general pain.  My tentative plan is to just grab one of my idle/empty hard drives, and hook it up on it's own.  That way, I can dedicate a whole drive to Arch, and still retain the full setup I currently have for windows.  I have a fair amount of faith in my abilities to get this done, but you may see me throw a question out there.

So far, I love Arch and I feel like it'll be a great asset for me to learn and love. 

+1 for the Linux guys.

#3010 2013-02-22 14:14:50

s1ln7m4s7r

Hi,new forum user. I'm Portuguese, so, sorry if my english is not very good!

I've been a linux entusiast for some time now. I tried a lot of linux distros, from debian based to redhat derivates. But something is different about arch, because everytime i decide to try another one, i allways fallback to it.

Love your Distro!!!

#3011 2013-02-23 08:36:56

5torme

Hello! Long time Arch/Linux user/lurker, thought it was about time I registered!

Arch++

#3012 2013-02-23 14:12:29

TheFlyingFrenchman

Hello everyone!

I am from France and I did my first step with Arch a month ago.
I have been trying to migrate away from Windows of which I was getting tired  for many reasons for some years now. I have been looking and trying many distros and, being a newbie I naturally began with the so called "user-friendly" distributions like Ubuntu, Mint, PCBSD or openSuse. But because I use a laptop, hardware support can be sensitive and these all pre-configured distributions quickly become a gigantic maze in which the newbie whose OS does not work out-of-the-box easily gets lost. Especially when the documentation is not very extensive. While going through many forums looking for solutions to the issues I was confronted to, I always wondered, reading the answers, how did the guys know that these particular tweaks would make it?
I soon realized that these distributions are the result of a huge configuration work, which you have to be able to understand if it does not suit exactly your system configuration (which in my opinion makes these distributions not "user-friendly" at all...). And there is only one way to learn how to configure a system: configure it yourself at least once.
So I looked for something more "basic" (which is not really appropriate). I tried freeBSD, as the heavy Linux distributions had made Linux scare me, but my laptop has a stupid Optimus video card and Bumblebee is not ported to freeBSD, so I had to look back for a Linux distribution.
And then I found Archlinux, and its fabulous wiki.
And I realized Arch matches exactly the way I think an OS has to be.

My opinion is all Linux beginners should start with Archlinux because (and this is sufficiently rare for being worth mentioning it): when you follow the wiki, what happens on your computer is what the wiki says should happen, and believe me, this has not often been the impression given to me by other documentations (when my issues where covered by it...).

#3013 2013-02-23 15:51:33

SanskritFritz
Website

TheFlyingFrenchman wrote:

I soon realized that these distributions are the result of a huge configuration work, which you have to be able to understand if it does not suit exactly your system configuration (which in my opinion makes these distributions not "user-friendly" at all...). And there is only one way to learn how to configure a system: configure it yourself at least once.

Very well put! Welcome to Archlinux!

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#3014 2013-02-23 22:13:10

nomorewindows

TheFlyingFrenchman wrote:

Hello everyone!

I am from France and I did my first step with Arch a month ago.
I have been trying to migrate away from Windows of which I was getting tired  for many reasons for some years now. I have been looking and trying many distros and, being a newbie I naturally began with the so called "user-friendly" distributions like Ubuntu, Mint, PCBSD or openSuse. But because I use a laptop, hardware support can be sensitive and these all pre-configured distributions quickly become a gigantic maze in which the newbie whose OS does not work out-of-the-box easily gets lost. Especially when the documentation is not very extensive. While going through many forums looking for solutions to the issues I was confronted to, I always wondered, reading the answers, how did the guys know that these particular tweaks would make it?
So I looked for something more "basic" (which is not really appropriate). I tried freeBSD, as the heavy Linux distributions had made Linux scare me, but my laptop has a stupid Optimus video card and Bumblebee is not ported to freeBSD, so I had to look back for a Linux distribution.
And then I found Archlinux, and its fabulous wiki.
And I realized Arch matches exactly the way I think an OS has to be.

My opinion is all Linux beginners should start with Archlinux because (and this is sufficiently rare for being worth mentioning it): when you follow the wiki, what happens on your computer is what the wiki says should happen, and believe me, this has not often been the impression given to me by other documentations (when my issues where covered by it...).

This could double as an Arch is best!

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#3015 2013-02-24 17:25:15

matchs

Hello Fellows of The Fellowship of The Arch Linux!

I'm Mateus, from Brazil.
Now I'm a Slackware user.
I've been using Ubuntu at work and I'm really displeased with the way it tries to handle every single aspect of the configuration (and often fails), despite that, the amount of packages available in the repositories is huge, the dependency resolution works and I really admire the way they are conducting it to be "user-friendly". Ubuntu for smartphones and tablets made think about giving them another chance (but No).
Concerning Slack, it works, and I really love it (I've been using it since 12.0), however, lately, I noticed that the programs in slackware have this trend to become a little outdated (at least in my case. Or I may be doing something wrong), and sometimes it's very tiresome to update them and resolve all dependencies issues (even if I use slapt-get or gslapt).
That's why I'm giving Arch Linux a chance. People told me it's hard, and that you have to do everything all by yourself (what is not a big problem, since Slack is not much different from that), but they didn't told me that it has a nice automatic dependency resolution system and also an automatic upgrade system.
I expect that Arch may join together some of the aspects I like of Slack and Ubuntu (not the "user-friendly" thing, of course). And after I saw that the community is also working on a version of STEAM, I had to give it a try.
I'm installing it on a VM right now. I hope it can meet at least a few of my expectations, that would make me a very very happy nerd.

(EDIT)
Went through the installation process without any problems. Very impressed. I think I`m gonna like Arch!

Last edited by matchs (2013-02-24 20:52:32)

#3016 2013-02-25 12:51:55

Lordii

Hi all , I'm from Argentina , so sorry for my english .
I am user of archlinux since 3 months ago and always liked the arch philosophy.

Regards to all .

PD : if i make errors of writing , let me know smile

#3017 2013-02-26 23:54:42

watoomb

Hi,

I'm Rick from Sydney, Australia. I'm a newbie to world of Linux and forums. I got sick and tired of MS OS and decided to make the change. I running Ubuntu on an old laptop and loving it. But I wanted more. I always built my own PC's and so I decided to build my new PC completed dedicated to Arch Linux.

I have two motherboards in my hands to start with: Gigabyte H61M-S2PV and Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3.

None of these are on the Arch linux friendly motherboard lists...

Need some advice... What to build an above average system that can take full advantage of Arch Linux and make the move into Arch linux and never look back... Excelsior.

#3018 2013-02-27 18:04:35

Kalrish

Hello everyone!

My name's Kalrish. I switched to Debian more than a year ago, and I fell in love of Linux. After this time of issues&solutions (always learning), I want a change in the way "I don't want things I won't use. I want things my way", so, I've come across Arch.

As a summary, I like programming -but am not good!-, Warcraft & its universe, and I hate too complex things.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

#3019 2013-02-28 08:16:10

parcival

Hello everyone,

I started with Linux in 2001 with SuSE (now openSuSE) since it used to be the most popular distro in the German realm at that time. I then tried various other distros such as RedHat, Mandrake (now Mandriva), plain Debian, Ubuntu, and Gentoo. I loved Gentoo as it let me learn a lot about the structure of an OS in general, but it was a whole lot of work.
In 2004 I got intrigued with an increasing number of people in my LUG using Mac OS X, it basically had the simplicity to be efficient (more work, less messing around) yet the advantages of a *nix system, so I did Mac OS X from 2004 to 2013.
Lately, Mac OS X started to increasingly feel "too limited" and "too simple". Switching over from iPhone and iPad to Nexus devices I realized I want a Linux box again and Arch seems to have the advantages of Gentoo minus the compilation time, so here I am. big_smile

What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence.

- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

#3020 2013-02-28 12:00:30

lowprize

hello, hop and im here again

#3021 2013-02-28 13:04:53

SanskritFritz
Website

lowprize wrote:

hello, hop and im here again

With a brand new nickname, so no one would know who is here "again" tongue

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#3022 2013-02-28 22:22:39

surd1618

Hey. I am in rainy rainy Olympia, WA. I got Arch to work. I came from Kubuntu. I could not figure out how to configure Ubuntu to do some really basic things, so I decided to start from a simpler system to force myself to learn more. So far, it works fast. I think Pacman is great.

Last edited by surd1618 (2013-02-28 22:24:07)

#3023 2013-03-01 16:32:33

vedearduff

Hello World!

I just recently discovered Arch.  I've been dual booting Linux/windows since 1998, most recently SuSE/XP.  The reason for keeping MS on my systems no longer applies and I will soon be windows free.

At this point, I'm planning on installing Arch on two laptops and a desktop.

What appeals to me about Arch is the lack of bloat that seems to come with more main stream distributions.

I look forward to being an active member here.

PS: I have 10 of the Arch Linux badges on order, any idea of the wait time?

Vernon in Indiana, USA

#3024 2013-03-01 18:06:34

ali_archi

Hello World:

I've been playing with linux since the late 90's. My home is still Windows free with one iMac, one Raspberry Pi running wheezy debian or XBMC and one Dell Mini 10 that has been first hackintoshed, then converted to JoliOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Crunchbang, etc for the past two years. Recently, I discovered Arch, and the Mini is first in line for conversion, before I switch the RPi over and eventually the iMac when it gets too memory limited to run modern software on Mac OS X.

While my knowledge of linux has been expanding very gradually, I feel now that I need to take the next step and advance my knowledge by trial and error, so, in the end, I can build my own flavour of Linux, while keeping in mind what SJ used to say: "The journey is the reward."

That is what I hope to achieve, eventually, with the help of this community.

Alex

#3025 2013-03-02 01:32:33

Longriver

Hello all!
I'm coming.

Board footer