You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-17 04:54:49

imnotfred

[SLVD]Stuck at SLiM display manager: "Failed to execute login command"

I installed arch on a VM and decided to install the SLiM display manager (desktop environment is xfce). Now when it starts up, after I enter my username and password it gives the error "Failed to execute login command" and then returns to the login screen again. I looked up this issue but none of the solutions help me, as I seem to be stuck and don't even know how to get back to the terminal.

I don't even want SLiM anymore. How can I get back to the terminal so that I can follow the solutions that have been posted elsewhere?

Last edited by imnotfred (2013-02-18 22:27:06)

#2 2013-02-17 06:45:55

WonderWoofy

Re: [SLVD]Stuck at SLiM display manager: "Failed to execute login command"

Do you have ~/.xinitrc? And the $HOME of your actual user you are trying to log in. If you look at slim's configuration file, you will see that it is actually just calling your xinitrc in the home folder of the user you are trying to log in.

When I first set up Arch Linux, I was a bit GUI crazy (as I guess is the way mist other operating systems teach you to be), so I set up slim. But I find it easier to simply either use startx (or xinit) or use systemd user sessions and just call my window manager up automatically without the username/password necessities. I have also seen numerous reports that slim has some issues with systemd that have yet to be resolved, but it has been a while since I have used it, so maybe there has been progress. If I remember correctly, it has something to do with logind.

#3 2013-02-17 06:56:51

imnotfred

This sounds like a great suggestion, but I don't know how to get back to the terminal.

#4 2013-02-17 07:16:42

WonderWoofy

from where? slim? ctrl alt f1 if so.

#5 2013-02-17 11:45:07

NoSavvy

Type 'exit' in the name box on the slim login screen or Ctrl alt F1.

Board footer