You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-17 20:55:18

frank604

Donation through click & pledge raises alarm with visa credit card

So I made a recurring donation today through the link https://www.archlinux.org/donate/
Immediately after, my visa called me since this was a flagged transaction.  In order to evade suspending my account, I had to phone them.  It didn't effect me negatively, just caught me off guard when they called me at work just now.  Just wanted to toss out my ramblings.  Maybe a "if you are donating from outside the United States, this transaction may be flagged by your credit card company" would alleviate some confusion.  Not necessary but never hurts to voice opinions.  To be honest, it is the first time an online donation got flagged (for me) by my credit card.  Gave me a jolt.

#2 2013-02-17 22:42:22

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Donation through click & pledge raises alarm with visa credit card

This is better suited to Arch discussion, moving there...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-02-17 23:11:41

ewaller
Administrator

Actually, I would say they did a great job of protecting you. There still exists significant problems with "Card not Present" transactions; now that Canada has switched over to EMV cards like the rest of the civilized world tongue they are cautious about accepting non-PIN transactions.  On the other hand, now that the financial institutions have succeeded in shifting liability to card holders for PIN transactions, why would they want to take it back?

Last edited by ewaller (2013-02-17 23:12:01)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2013-02-17 23:25:07

WonderWoofy

Makes me wonder why stuff like EMV is so damn slow to be put in place in the united states.

#5 2013-02-17 23:39:10

frank604

I do agree, they did a swell job at protecting my card.  They sent out automated messages to my work and cell within a minute of hitting the pay button.  When I spoke to the security department, I had to say 1) this charge was made by me and 2) this will be a recurring charge.  I was just taken aback.  Been shopping online for years and never had Visa alert me.  I found it a bit strange overall.

#6 2013-02-17 23:44:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Must be different over there, in Malaysia as long as there's any online transactions (which you have not specifically permitted beforehand) the bank will be giving you a call.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2013-02-17 23:49:32

ewaller
Administrator

WonderWoofy wrote:

Makes me wonder why stuff like EMV is so damn slow to be put in place in the united states.

Traditionally, the US has enjoyed relatively low fraud rates.  It has been less costly to just absorb the cost of fraud than incur the cost of changing the infrastructure.  The US has a couple more orders of magnitudes of providers than other markets have had.

Of course, as fraud becomes more difficult in the rest of the world, more and more of it comes here. 
Full disclosure:  My line of work is designing credit card terminals used globally.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2013-02-18 00:29:32

WonderWoofy

Wow, that is really enlightening information. Thanks ewaller. I guess that that would explain you crazy knowledge of electrical engineering.

#9 2013-02-18 05:36:52

frank604

I guess this explains why americans have chips on their card but don't have them activated.  In Canada, if it has a chip, it has a pin.  When I check-in guests at my business, they look so surprised when I pop their chip in.  A little bit awkward.

#10 2013-02-18 13:48:23

KamranRazvan

I am with Click & Pledge and wanted to drop a line and provide a little background on this.  Hopefully you don't mind but since our company's name was mentioned here it will help with understanding why the warning has been issued.

Click & Pledge provides processing for organizations worldwide and the warning you received has nothing to do with inside US or outside US - it has to do with your past behavior.  I receive such calls a lot especially when I am travelling.  When travelling if I purchase from many areas in one day I always get an alert and a call asking if I am making the transactions.  It has nothing to do from whom I am purchasing something it has to do with my pattern of purchase.

If you have never or recently done a transaction in another country you may get a call from your card company to verify.  Of course it is a great service being done these days by the card companies to protect us and I always welcome the call.  This has nothing to do with Click & Pledge or other provides.  Fraud patterns are quite elaborate and thieves go to great extend to cover their tracks and unfortunately nonprofits fall victims to these people since there is nothing to purchase and one gets instant approval / decline.  No need to elaborate on this.

So adding a comment such as "you may get call if outside US" is really not a valid statement.  Card companies call you if the pattern does not match your history.  You may get a call even if in US and the pattern does not match your history.

I just wanted to drop a line and hopefully explain the issue.  Please feel free to email me if I can answer any other questions you may regarding Click & Pledge.

Last edited by KamranRazvan (2013-02-18 13:55:07)

#11 2013-02-18 18:29:21

frank604

Wow, that's some great service Kamran.  Thanks for the clarification and going through the troubles of hopping on the board.  I didn't mean to imply click & pledge as untrustworthy or problematic or shed any negative connotation to the name. 

All I was looking to do was share my experience, which is neutral.  Just expressing my surprise and from reading all the responses, I retract my thoughts in adding a warning.

Board footer