You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-06 00:22:30

brainlesspinkey

pcmcia bugs?

Hi,
I'm new to arch and I have been trying to get my pcmcia network card to work with arch.  I've run into a couple problems, which may be bugs.

First, there is no pcnet_cs driver on the installation disc.  This prevents me from doing an ftp install (Which would be super nice and may solve my next problem:)

I finally got everything working.  But then, I tried to upgrade the kernel, from 2.6.10 to 2.6.13.  This made the pcmcia network card stop working correctly.    Although the drivers load, when I try to run cardmgr, it reports, "no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices"

ugh

Has anyone else ran into these problems?

Thanks.

#2 2005-11-06 05:16:59

rayjgu3

Re: pcmcia bugs?

im sure there was a warning of

>>> IMPORTANT KERNEL UPGRADE NOTICE
>>> -------------------------------
>>> As of kernel 2.6.13, DevFS is NO LONGER AVAILABLE!
>>> If you still use DevFS, please make the transition to uDev before
>>> rebooting.  If you really need to stay with DevFS for some reason,
>>> then you can manually downgrade to an older version:
>>>
>>> # pacman -U http://archlinux.org/~judd/kernel/kernel26-scsi-2.6.12.2-1.pkg.tar.gz
>>>
>>> If you choose to downgrade, don't forget to add kernel26-scsi to your
>>> IgnorePkg list in /etc/pacman.conf
>>>
>>> (NOTE: The following portion applies to uDev users as well!)
>>>
>>> If you use any DevFS paths in your GRUB menu.lst, then you will not
>>> be able to boot!  Change your root= parameter to use the classic
>>> naming scheme.
>>>
>>> EXAMPLES:
>>> - change root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3 to root=/dev/sda3
>>> - change root=/dev/md/0 to root=/dev/md0
>>>

you may not have noticed it
you could also try kernel26-scsi or kernel24 or some other kernel in the repository or roll your own kernel

#3 2005-11-07 06:22:10

brainlesspinkey

hmm, I did notice that message, and changed grub, but I didn't know it would influence pcmcia.  Do you need devfs or something in order to use pcmcia cards?

#4 2005-11-12 18:28:18

Largon
Website

I think you don't have PCMCIA control ioctl in your kernel because it's obsolete now. You can read in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes:

PCMCIAutils
PCMCIAutils replaces pcmcia-cs (see below). It properly sets up PCMCIA sockets at system startup and loads the appropriate modules for 16-bit PCMCIA devices if the kernel is modularized and the hotplug subsystem is used.

Pcmcia-cs
PCMCIA (PC Card) support is now partially implemented in the main kernel souce. The "pcmciautils" package (see above) replaces pcmcia-cs for newest kernels.

/etc/rc.d/pcmcia still uses pcmcia-cs, but you can try to install pcmciautils package and run it manually.

Board footer