You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-20 04:44:13

nticompass
Website

Opening files from SSH in PCManFM

I'm using Fluxbox, and I'm using PCManFM (launched via "dbus-launch pcmanfm") as my file manager.

I opened an SSH folder, and when I double clicked on a file to open it, nothing happened.  For example, on a .txt file, gvim opened, but it didn't load the file.  Where does PCManFS mount SSH folder, and how can I have it open files correctly when I double click on them?

#2 2013-02-20 11:16:27

AndrzejL

Re: Opening files from SSH in PCManFM

As far as I know You can only manage files (move, copy, delete etc.) the way You are trying to do it as they are not "local". It may not be the greatest advice but I feel like it may sort You out - use SSHFS to mount the ssh share and then just add it to the Pane in PCManFM? This way the files and folder will act like a local files and folders. This will allow You to play with them (edit, play etc.) just like they are on the hdd of the machine that You are currently sitting next to.

Regards.

Andrzej

P.S. Instead of sshfs-fuse package You will need sshfs as the howto was written when I was using PCLinuxOS. I am using the same method with ArchLinux without any issues on LXDE and KDE4 machines here.

Last edited by AndrzejL (2013-02-20 11:20:47)

The worst thing about censorship is ██████ ██ ████ ████████████ and ██████ ███████ ███ ███████████.

#3 2013-02-20 14:41:51

nticompass
Website

I was just used to how Nautilus (or rather Caja, since I'm using MATE) handles remote mounts.  When Caja mounts SSH (and even SMB), it mounts it to a folder on my local filesystem (it used to be in ~/.gvfs, but I think it's in /var/run/ somewhere now) so I can open files directly.  I was expecting PCManFS to do that for me.  Is there anyway to have PCManFS run the "sshfs server /mount/point" command for me?

#4 2013-02-20 17:47:41

AndrzejL

nticompass wrote:

I was just used to how Nautilus (or rather Caja, since I'm using MATE) handles remote mounts.  When Caja mounts SSH (and even SMB), it mounts it to a folder on my local filesystem (it used to be in ~/.gvfs, but I think it's in /var/run/ somewhere now) so I can open files directly.  I was expecting PCManFS to do that for me.  Is there anyway to have PCManFS run the "sshfs server /mount/point" command for me?

There might be altho I have no idea. Someone smarter will have to join the thread and sort You out. Sorry.

Regards.

Andrzej

The worst thing about censorship is ██████ ██ ████ ████████████ and ██████ ███████ ███ ███████████.

#5 2013-02-20 18:32:06

tomk
Forum Fellow

FYI you can still use Caja with Fluxbox - you don't have to change file manager just because you changed window manager.

#6 2013-02-20 18:35:47

chris_l

Yeah, like tomk said, you can use the same fm on your new wm.

And if you like pcmanfm but you are willing to change to something similar, spacefm (spacefm is inspired on pcmanfm and it uses some code from it), then you could check it's wiki:
https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/wiki/Plugins
The trile7's Mount Tools Plugin may be what you are looking for.
Good luck.

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

Board footer