You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-17 21:14:12

Rapscallion

Firefox does not inherit GTK+ font settings

The Nvidia drivers for the GTX 660ti gpu seem to be breaking the font rendering in Firefox' UI. I doubt this issue can be resolved here but in the meantime if anyone is experiencing the same problems their input would be valuable.

Last edited by Rapscallion (2013-02-20 14:21:05)

#2 2013-02-18 09:19:02

berbae

Re: Firefox does not inherit GTK+ font settings

The font size of the gtk2 appli UI is normally set in a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.
Have you one and what do you have in it?

#3 2013-02-19 02:11:28

Rapscallion

berbae wrote:

The font size of the gtk2 appli UI is normally set in a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.
Have you one and what do you have in it?

What would be the proper line to add? gtk-application-font?

I did try something similar but reverted the change after it failed to work. Maybe I've gotten the syntax wrong.

Edit: There does not seem to be anything of the sort according to http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/ … properties

As I said in the OP, the problem is with Firefox and not GTK+. Every other GTK2 application works perfectly fine.

Last edited by Rapscallion (2013-02-19 04:25:11)

#4 2013-02-19 09:18:09

berbae

You marked the thread as fixed, but I don't understand how exactly you fixed the issue. It could be useful to give infos for those who may search the forums.

And you shouldn't have deleted the opening post original text, but added an edit to it instead.

The font size is included in the font name; I have in .gtkrc-2.0:

style "user-font" {
        font_name = "DejaVu Sans 10"
}

widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 10"

I use firefox with the nvidia driver and I don't see any problem with the font size.

#5 2013-02-19 10:51:18

Rapscallion

berbae wrote:

You marked the thread as fixed, but I don't understand how exactly you fixed the issue. It could be useful to give infos for those who may search the forums.

And you shouldn't have deleted the opening post original text, but added an edit to it instead.

The font size is included in the font name; I have in .gtkrc-2.0:

style "user-font" {
        font_name = "DejaVu Sans 10"
}

widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 10"

I use firefox with the nvidia driver and I don't see any problem with the font size.

I appreciate the help but I hope you'll understand that I would not have posted here if the fix was that simple.

I know now the issue is neither with GTK nor with Firefox.

So that either leaves pango or the drivers for this particular GPU, and unless you're using a 660ti right now then that doesn't help either.

Sorry if I sound unappreciative.

#6 2013-02-19 15:31:32

berbae

Rapscallion wrote:

I would not have posted here if the fix was that simple

It's how it works on my machine: declaring the font size in a .gtkrc-2.0 file.

unless you're using a 660ti right now...

You didn't give that info about your GPU in your OP original text, which furthermore you now deleted.

And I still don't see why you mark that thread fixed, as it appears not fixed for you.

What useful thing will that thread bring out, if showing in a search for font problem?

#7 2013-02-20 09:14:45

Rapscallion

berbae wrote:
Rapscallion wrote:

I would not have posted here if the fix was that simple

It's how it works on my machine: declaring the font size in a .gtkrc-2.0 file.

unless you're using a 660ti right now...

You didn't give that info about your GPU in your OP original text, which furthermore you now deleted.

And I still don't see why you mark that thread fixed, as it appears not fixed for you.

What useful thing will that thread bring out, if showing in a search for font problem?

To put it short, I realized that the likelyhood of someone in the Arch community providing a fix would be very low and that the best I can do for now is cross my fingers and hope for a driver update to fix it.

Also, no the problem is not with gtkrc-2.0 and if it was I would have gotten that out of the way in seconds. No offense.

I edited it to [fixed] so people would skim over it.

#8 2013-02-20 10:25:50

berbae

Rapscallion wrote:

I realized that the likelyhood of someone in the Arch community providing a fix would be very low

It is even lower when you remove the first description you gave of the problem, with the screenshot you provided then.
I answered what I thought was the problem in the .gtkrc-2.0 file; you could have just quietly said it is not the solution in your case, showing what you have already in the file. No need to use an unpleasant tone.

the best I can do for now is cross my fingers and hope for a driver update to fix it

It would be better to file a bug report at the nvidia driver site, and at Mozilla bug report site, as you told that it concerns only firefox.

I edited it to [fixed] so people would skim over it

But those seeing the thread title could think that it provides a real fix, which it does not.

I will now leave you with your hope for a satisfying fix from more qualified guys than me.
Bye.

Last edited by berbae (2013-02-20 10:26:43)

#9 2013-02-20 11:25:32

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Rapscallion don't do this again! As berbae said, this thread is almost useless now.
Read our forum etiquette, esp. this: Life is a Two-way Street

This is a warning. You'll risk a ban next time.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#10 2013-02-20 14:18:24

Rapscallion

berbae wrote:
Rapscallion wrote:

I realized that the likelyhood of someone in the Arch community providing a fix would be very low

It is even lower when you remove the first description you gave of the problem, with the screenshot you provided then.
I answered what I thought was the problem in the .gtkrc-2.0 file; you could have just quietly said it is not the solution in your case, showing what you have already in the file. No need to use an unpleasant tone.

the best I can do for now is cross my fingers and hope for a driver update to fix it

It would be better to file a bug report at the nvidia driver site, and at Mozilla bug report site, as you told that it concerns only firefox.

I edited it to [fixed] so people would skim over it

But those seeing the thread title could think that it provides a real fix, which it does not.

I will now leave you with your hope for a satisfying fix from more qualified guys than me.
Bye.

Sorry about that, I've spent roughly 5 hours non stop trying to fix this issue, the most recent one leading me to believe the issue is not with Pango either. I hate to be walking on eggs so I hope you'll understand I did not mean to be condescending at all.

Board footer