You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-20 11:02:57

smsware
Website

[more problems appeared] ManyTrack - how to make my own PKGBUILD?

I really need this application up and running tomorrow:
http://www.bio-tracking.org/category/software

There is this Wiki page about how to compile it from source:
http://wiki.bio-tracking.org/wiki/Insta … rom_Source

But I don't really get it... never compiled anything.

1. I've installed git and subversion, also the gstreamer0.10 and qtcreator.
2. Cloned git folder.
3. Now I tried to satisfy the dependences but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right...
I've transformed

sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff4-dev libjasper-dev libopenexr-dev cmake python-dev python-numpy python-tk libtbb-dev libeigen2-dev yasm libfaac-dev \
libopencore-amrnb-dev libopencore-amrwb-dev libtheora-dev libvorbis-dev libxvidcore-dev libx264-dev libqt4-dev libqt4-opengl-dev sphinx-common texlive-latex-extra libv4l-dev \
libdc1394-22-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libswscale-dev

into

sudo pacman -S base-devel gtk2 libjpeg libtiff jasper openexr cmake python python-numpy tk intel-tbb eigen2 yasm faac opencore-amr libtheora libvorbis xvidcore x264 qt gambas3-gb-qt4-opengl python-sphinx texlive-latexextra libv4l libdc1394 libavc1394

but as you can see:
a) we have opencore-amr, Ubuntu has -amrwd and -armnb - was it mixed together in Arch?
b) is gambas3-gb-gt4-opengl the same what libqt4-opengl-dev is? I'm not sure... still, it's out of date.
c) is python-sphinx the same what sphinx-common? Sounds like not but it's only sphinx in Arch.
d) our libdc1394 isn't -22, it's -21 and out of date... it's specified there that it has to be -22 so I feel like I can be a problem.
e) couldn't find libavformat-dev and libswscale-dev - I guess the first could be merged with libavc1934 but what's the second?
4. Also, after compiling OpenCV, there is nothing about doing anything with this soce I've downloaded via git so I'm lost... -_-'

Looking at my problems - can I handle that or should I just install Ubuntu on VM? tongue

Last edited by smsware (2013-05-31 16:11:23)

#2 2013-02-20 11:55:44

Lone_Wolf

Re: [more problems appeared] ManyTrack - how to make my own PKGBUILD?

opencv is available in the repos, https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/opencv/ , so you don't need to build that yourself.

PCL (point cloud library) is present in the aur, you'll have to build that yourself.

Once opencv and pcl are installed, you should look into the source code you downloaded, there should be text-files explaining how to build it.
In short, it seems doable to build manytrack on archlinux, but it will require some work and time.

Since you need this application fast, i advise to run ubuntu in a VM and use the prebuilt package.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2013-02-20 11:59:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

For the dependencies, first you don't need to list base-devel in a PKGBUILD - that is assumed.

For compiling, their is a qmake .pro file in the MultiTrack source directory.  I just tried it out, and it seems it would work once the depenencies are satisfied.  PCL seems to only be in the AUR, and itself has dependencies that are only in the AUR.

You don't need all the depenencies for the tools you are not going to use though, just for MultiTrack.  Navigate to the MultiTrack folder, run qmake.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-02-20 12:32:12

smsware
Website

PCL's dependency (flann) wants me to install some nvidia package (opencl-nvidia) while I'm using Intel graphics... can it be like that? Or won't it work?

Edit: well, it looks like I actually need cuda to run this application and it's Nvidia technology... well... I'm marking the thread as solved but I don;t know what to do now... -_-'

Last edited by smsware (2013-02-20 13:02:43)

#5 2013-02-20 13:12:58

Lone_Wolf

smsware,
i'm 99% sure cuda/opencl-nivida have a fallback mode that uses the cpu if an nvidia gpu is not present.

It should work, although computations might be slower then on a system with an nivida card.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2013-02-20 20:35:09

deepsoul
Website

smsware wrote:

well, it looks like I actually need cuda to run this application

Try removing "cuda-toolkit" from the makedepends array of the PKGBUILD.  I just built flann successfully without CUDA that way.  That would be the fallback Lone_Wolf suggested (a fallback of flann, though; CUDA is NVidia specific and GPU-only).

I do not quite understand the way dependencies are set for the flann package - cuda is a build dependency and an optional runtime dependency... why?

Edit: smsware. did you actually try to compile the PKGBUILD, or did you give up when you saw the CUDA dependency?  When I wrote this above, I thought installing CUDA required having nvidia drivers and hence an NVidia card, but now I am not sure that is true.

Last edited by deepsoul (2013-02-20 20:56:27)

Officer, I had to drive home - I was way too drunk to teleport!

#7 2013-02-20 20:47:38

tdy

deepsoul wrote:

I do not quite understand the way dependencies are set for the flann package - cuda is a build dependency and an optional runtime dependency... why?

I can't speak for this package specifically, but in general this is facilitated by dynamic linking.

i.e., during compile time, you build it with foo support. During runtime, if foo is detected, foo is used. If foo is not detected, foo is not used (and does not break the app).

Last edited by tdy (2013-02-20 20:49:50)

#8 2013-02-20 21:05:33

deepsoul
Website

Thank you, tdy, I get the idea now.  This is much more obviously useful for binary packages, where only the maintainer has to have the build dependencies installed.  In this case, having to install the huge CUDA package for building is a pointless hassle for someone without an NVidia GPU.

Officer, I had to drive home - I was way too drunk to teleport!

#9 2013-05-31 16:10:21

smsware
Website

Okay, after some time I've decided to try to run the software on Arch Linux again. I've built flann without cuda and it's working. Then I've built pcl-git (it's 1.7 and pcl package (not -git one) is 1.6 so I could try it also but it seems like 1.6 can't be built without cuda-toolkit) which took me the whole day... but there is pcl_io-1.7.pc, libpcl_io.so.1.7 and libpcl_io.so packages in my /usr/lib which is basically all I need. Still, when I'm in *.pro file of the software (it's qt-based and told to be build under qtcreator) it gives me error "package pcl_io-1.7 not found" under:

linux-* {
        CONFIG += link_pkgconfig

PKGCONFIG += opencv
        PKGCONFIG += pcl_io-1.7
       LIBS+= lboost_system

Opencv is seen by the qmake, only pcl_io-1.7 is not.

Any advices? I've even created the question on stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1684 … rom-source
but no answers were given...

Board footer