You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-11 21:15:01

timm

mythfrontend logging - unable to initialize video output

I've fixed some console display problems I have had, and now have the nouveau drivers installed and can start mythfrontend.  When I try to play anything back, I get an error about an inability to initialize the video output.

I'm looking for some mythfrontend logging to help me figure out what is going on.  I have two files named mythfrontend.log, both are several months old and apparently not being updated.

I read the information on the mythtv wiki about logging.  This was a good exercise in feeling stupid.  I read it 3 times and still have no idea what it says.

How do I get mythfrontend to output information to a log file so that I can see what's up?

I tried

mythfrontend -v playback

, which runs mythfrontend but I have no idea where any output is going;
I tried

mythfrontend -v playback -l   /home/user/mythfrontend.log

but that doesn't work, and if I understand it the new version of mythfrontend doesn't use this -l option, even though it is still in the help file.  There is no man file for mythfrontend.

#2 2013-02-21 19:43:37

fphillips

Re: mythfrontend logging - unable to initialize video output

"Scripts used to start MythTV programs (e.g. mythbackend) will fail to start if they use the -l or --logfile argument. The --logpath argument replaces them. See Logging for additional options. [fd1800a]" from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25

What does mythfrontend --version say compared to what you have installed? Something is off if --help still mentions the -l option - that hasn't been present since 0.24!

To answer your question, I use --logpath <dir> --nodblog. You can't specify a file AFAIK, so give it its' own empty directory, and it will log into the DB by default, which I don't want. I add these options to /etc/systemd/system/mythbackend.service (copied from /usr/lib/systemd/system/mythbackend.service to be persistent). On 0.26 mythlogserver creates a log file for each process (mythfrontend/mythwelcome/mythbackend/etc) and they are named according to when the process started (in UTC): mythfrontend.20130221193332.13951.log

Board footer