You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-22 00:36:47

jQuerulous

Awesome WM and phpstorm -- SOLVED (sort of)

Hi all,

I love Awesome WM and I use phpstorm for development. However, a problem has cropped up (perhaps with the latest version of Awesome... I'm not sure.)

When I start phpstorm, I get the dreaded gray screen of nothingness. Now, okay, I've had this issue before, back when I first started using Awesome. As I recall, in the past, it was enough to use "wmname LG3D" somewhere. In this case, I've tried putting it in my rc.lua file and in the phpstorm start script in /usr/bin. At the top of the phpstorm script, for example, I have this:

export _JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1

export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit

if [ -n "`which wmname`" ]; then
        wmname LG3D
fi

... which, as far as I am aware, should apply every possible fix that is out there to fix the darn Java nonreparenting window manager issue. None of it works. I also have a wmname call in rc.lua, as mentioned, so I don't think the problem is that it is not getting called. I've also tried wmname from the command line, followed by phpstorm, and that hasn't worked either.

Phpstorm works fine in Gnome. So this is almost certainly related to the nonreparenting issue. It's just that the fixes don't seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jQuerulous (2013-02-22 03:28:41)

#2 2013-02-22 01:26:05

doug piston
Website

Re: Awesome WM and phpstorm -- SOLVED (sort of)

Per the wiki I just have it in my ~/.xinitrc. Never had an issue.

#3 2013-02-22 03:27:41

jQuerulous

Re: Awesome WM and phpstorm -- SOLVED (sort of)

Thanks, Doug. I've tried that, too, and for some reason it doesn't work. Hm.

I DID discover this, however. The phpstorm window starts grey, but if I full screen it (Mod + F), it gets redrawn (I think) and becomes visible. The screen I was running the application on was using the floating layout, so nothing started maximized. The window would just show up at the center of the screen.

This is sort of a solution, but still a little odd.

Board footer