You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-22 14:17:49

kcirick

Dual boot on macbook. rEFIt or Bootcamp?

Hello,

I would like to install Linux (Arch, of course) alongside with OS-X on my macbook. I have done it before using rEFIt, but I've been reading about doing this through Bootcamp without rEFIt. Are they essentially the same thing? If so, why do most people recommend using rEFIt? I haven't read too many articles on dualbooting with bootcamp without rEFIt (an example is here.

What's the pro/con using bootcamp or rEFIt? Thanks in advance!

Side note: I wasn't sure where to put this, so if you (mod) think it should be somewhere else, please move it.

#2 2010-12-22 17:38:53

hellomynameisphil
Website

Re: Dual boot on macbook. rEFIt or Bootcamp?

Last I checked you could only use Bootcamp with Windows. Has this changed?

#3 2010-12-22 22:07:55

kcirick

Since there are no response, I will rephrase my question:

Do I need rEFIt in order to dual boot?

Most of the internet says yes, but I'm not quite convinced. Doesn't Bootcamp take care of this if you create the windows partition, then install linux on that windows partition? What would happen if, after the installation, I pressed option+power button (how you would normally go into windows with bootcamp)?

Last edited by kcirick (2010-12-22 22:08:20)

#4 2010-12-23 02:41:33

kcirick

Found the answer [uri=https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation#Dual-Boot: Mac OSX and Ubuntu]here[/uri].

Basically, you need rEFIt to synchronize the harddrive partitions. The article above says you can uninstall it after the harddrive has been synchronized (I loathe the rEFIt boot screen - The icons are too big and ugly)

#5 2013-02-22 05:08:52

senses3

Hey kcirick, thanks for the info! I'm just posting here because I'm planning on doing the same as you and am trying to figure out what to do. Since this post was made in 2010, i decided to make this post to ask anyone if they happen to know any new ways of doing this. I'm assuming that in the past 3 years something else must have come along to solve this issue.

Thanks

#6 2013-02-22 06:52:57

WonderWoofy

senses3, you should not necrobump.  Create a new post instead and link to this one if necessary. 

A quick word about your issue though so you don't go using an outdated crappy tool... avoid gptsync (what is included with refit).  If you want more info about hybrid MBRs you should look at Rod Smith's web page of amazing UEFI info.

#7 2013-02-22 07:54:17

ewaller
Administrator

Senses3,
I think wonderWoofy is correct.  I know you acknowledged that this is an ancient thread and are looking to see if things have changed.

I am going to say (without proof) that they probably have.  On the chance that someone does have an answer and things have, it will create a confusing thread of old and new stuff.  I am going to go ahead and close this thread and invite you to create a new thread that links back to this one.

Thanks for your understanding.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer