You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-13 23:23:17

Cotton

LVM partitions not available at boot

Following installation from the latest 0.7.1 disc (ie using the 2.6.14 kernel), I'm having problems getting my LVM volumes (/usr, /opt, /var & /home) on the LVM partition /dev/hdb4 from being recognised on booting.

The USELVM="yes" option is set in /etc/rc.conf, and /etc/fstab contains the following:

/dev/vg1/homelv /home reiserfs defaults 0 0
/dev/vg1/optlv /opt reiserfs defaults 0 0
/dev/vg1/usrlv /usr reiserfs defaults 0 0
/dev/vg1/varlv /var reiserfs defaults 0 0

The error message on boot following the Activating LVM2 Groups"  message is:
"/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found.  Is device-mapper missing from the kernel?".

The problem previously prevented me upgrading to the 2.6.13 kernel, so I assumed a fresh installation should sort it.

Ironically, logging on to the crippled system then allows the partitions to be recognised and mounted by manually running:

modprobe dm-mod
vgchange -a y
mount -a

I don't understand why it works at this stage but not on boot.  I have another PC that is set up identically with no problem.  The only difference being that the failure occurs on the PC with / on hdb3 (as opposed to hda3).

The relevant grub menu.1st contains:
root   (hd1,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 vga=773 ro
initrd /boot/initrd26.img

Is there now some limitation on which disk can be used for LVM?  What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated as this has taken up much time and  obviously the system is still not properly functional.

#2 2005-11-14 23:01:57

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: LVM partitions not available at boot

This entry in the blog might help :

http://www.archlinux.org/blog/2005/11/1 … d-changes/

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer