You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-28 20:25:28

KenjiTakahashi
Website

pacmixer - an alsamixer alike for PulseAudio.

I guess that title says it all, so just a screenshot to see:
pacmixer2-thumb.png

And important URLs: github project page and a package in AUR.

I decided to put it here too:
For bug reports, please see this note.

Enjoy! smile

Last edited by KenjiTakahashi (2012-11-24 22:14:52)

#2 2012-10-28 20:39:34

zeltak

Re: pacmixer - an alsamixer alike for PulseAudio.

thx

looks promising!

Z

#3 2012-10-28 20:53:52

Diaz

Nice work smile

Bug: Somehow when I press the keys from F1 to F4 the program exits :s

Feature request: Add a percentage view to the bottom or top of each column tongue

Last edited by Diaz (2012-10-28 20:56:36)

#4 2012-10-28 21:12:50

KenjiTakahashi
Website

Diaz wrote:

Bug: Somehow when I press the keys from F1 to F4 the program exits :s

Does it work with 1-4 keys? Maybe your terminal is doing something strange (that's why 1-5 aliases where added after all wink ).

Diaz wrote:

Feature request: Add a percentage view to the bottom or top of each column tongue

I have a plan on adding a "status line" with additional info about controls. Those columns are 1 row wide, so it wouldn't look good straight above/below. Terminal is quite limited when it comes to space management.

#5 2012-10-28 22:11:08

Diaz

Well the numbers work. If there's problems maybe those keys should be the default.

I was pretty sure that those keys worked fine in xfce terminal, but I just tested with alsamixer and they also quit it. Strange, maybe I changed something and I don't know tongue

#6 2012-10-29 12:41:59

zeltak

Hi again

So i think that there are some weird issues after using it a few hours. first, it seems like pacmixer unlocks the channel volumes somehow. the j/k and up/down keys change both (L/R) but seperatly. see video comparing to pauvcontrol as an example:

http://paste.xinu.at/NaXJ/

also why is there 4 streams in pacmixer 'playback' while only 2 in pauvcontrol ? (gosh just for the name pacmixer is such a blessing....pauvcontrol is the worst name ever..lol ;-))

http://paste.xinu.at/clR/

finally a feature request. would be cool to add with pacmixer some command line swithces so one could assign vol+/vol- etc to keybinds smile

thx alot, i have waited for something like pacmixer for a long time

best

Z

#7 2012-10-29 22:54:47

KenjiTakahashi
Website

Diaz wrote:

Well the numbers work. If there's problems maybe those keys should be the default.

Well, I chose Function Keys, because most people are used to them. 1-5 aliases were added later.

zeltak wrote:

So i think that there are some weird issues after using it a few hours. first, it seems like pacmixer unlocks the channel volumes somehow. the j/k and up/down keys change both (L/R) but seperatly. see video comparing to pauvcontrol as an example:

http://paste.xinu.at/NaXJ/

I think I know where the problem is. I'll try to fix it ASAP.

zeltak wrote:

also why is there 4 streams in pacmixer 'playback' while only 2 in pauvcontrol ? (gosh just for the name pacmixer is such a blessing....pauvcontrol is the worst name ever..lol ;-))

http://paste.xinu.at/clR/

These are some kind of PA internal pipes. Pavucontrol hides them by default (or even permanently? I can't say for sure now), pacmixer doesn't. There will be an option in the future to filter such controls out.

zeltak wrote:

finally a feature request. would be cool to add with pacmixer some command line swithces so one could assign vol+/vol- etc to keybinds smile

This will be added, but not any time soon. There are still more important things to implement smile. For now, you'll just have to use an other app for keybinds, sorry.

zeltak wrote:

thx alot, i have waited for something like pacmixer for a long time

Glad U like it, thx smile.

#8 2012-11-24 22:14:04

KenjiTakahashi
Website

Well, It took me a bit more time than I thought it would, but here comes a new release. It should solve all the bugs spotted so far.

Also, for future bug reports, please see this note. It will speed up the fixes smile.

#9 2012-11-25 01:00:58

zeltak

hya

thx for the update

i have a question.

in the gui for pulse:

http://paste.xinu.at/OyHl/

there is the option to change the output device for the stream. is that possible with pacmixer? if not is it planned?

thx

Z

#10 2012-11-27 01:09:37

KenjiTakahashi
Website

Support for options is on the todo list already.
I'm still thinking where is the best place to put them on the screen, though. If I put them above or below, it will only show small piece of the name, but I can't think of a better place now...

#11 2012-11-27 03:22:19

ZekeSulastin

You might be better off doing horizontal bars instead of vertical if you plan on adding more information to the thing - that way you'll have an entire line or two to work with >.>

#12 2012-11-27 03:53:58

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ZekeSulastin wrote:

You might be better off doing horizontal bars instead of vertical if you plan on adding more information to the thing - that way you'll have an entire line or two to work with >.>

Though then it wouldn't look like alsamixer =p.

In fact, it'd look more like... a CLI version of pavucontrol!

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2012-11-27 17:05:44

maattd
Website

ZekeSulastin wrote:

That would make sense, because the column are already too short to support some names.

#14 2012-12-01 09:09:42

KenjiTakahashi
Website

I thought about doing horizontal controls even before coding anything, but I don't like that idea. It just doesn't feel "natural" to me. So I'd really like to keep them vertical :-).

#15 2013-02-05 15:59:08

KenjiTakahashi
Website

So, it's time for an update smile.
The 0.2 version is here, bringing some new features.
Mainly the SETTINGS tab, where you can choose to filter out PA internals (mentioned somewhere above) and/or Monitor controls, as well as set card-wise options (profiles).
Other than that, it should properly wait for PA server when it's gone/not available.
I've also made some code refactors and clean-ups to make further development easier.
And fixed few bugs, as always smile.

#16 2013-02-24 14:58:42

KenjiTakahashi
Website

A new version is out, adding settings mode used to change control settings (e.g. ports).
In normal (outside) mode, they're shown below the control (which cuts off most of their names, of course) and in settings mode, a bigger panel (kinda like combobox) is opened, allowing to see whole names and change active option.

Board footer