You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-22 17:56:45

CabronDeOz

GDM with Mate

I have been having the worst time getting GDM working with Mate. To replicate, simply install both, and use GDM as your display manager.

The first time, it logs into Mate ok, but the options to shut down and restart the computer aren't present. Then, when you log out and attempt to log in as a different user, it just hangs on the GDM login screen with a green checkmark that says "logged in", and no one is able to log in again unless you Alt+Fx to enter a different TTY and disable GDM.

I've looked everywhere for a possible solution to this last hurdle to having a fully functional Arch desktop.

Last edited by CabronDeOz (2013-02-22 17:57:13)

#2 2013-02-22 18:17:59

AurosGamma

Re: GDM with Mate

Why not use SLiM? It's light-weight and can be themed pretty cool. If you don't like SLiM, you could try to install gdm-old from AUR.

Best regards.

#3 2013-02-24 06:08:41

CabronDeOz

I'm using SLiM presently because GDM doesn't work. My problem is that GDM doesn't work as it should, as I have seen it work in other distros. If SLiM would have been a satisfactory solution, I would not have posted in the first place.

I have done a fair amount of reading, and it seems like there's a missing piece somewhere, perhaps because systemd handles operations that ConsoleKit did previously. Any suggestions or pointing me in the right direction would be helpful.

#4 2013-02-24 20:56:39

AurosGamma

Remember that Mate is a fork of Gnome 2. Maybe, the new GDM is not backwards compatible and that's why you're getting that kind of issues. You should to install gdm-old from AUR and check the results. Read the wiki for more information.

Best regards.

Edit: As you can see in the wiki, user-switch is disabled if you're not using MDM, maybe it's related with one of your issues.

Last edited by AurosGamma (2013-02-24 21:02:17)

#5 2013-02-25 14:43:35

superchango

Yeah, the first issue is because Arch dropped consolekit that it's used in Mate for those operations (shutdown & reboot). Mate in other distros doesn't have this problem because they have still consolekit running.

The "solution" is just use some script to shutdown, there are severals options posted in the forum. In my Mate i have a little script that uses zenity.

"Yo creo que los muertos son tiernos. ¿Nos besamos?"

Board footer