You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-24 21:36:13

goakley
Website

Choice of VNC Software

I have Arch installed on an older machine that I no longer really use; it's going to sit around as a server.  However, I want to be able to run a desktop environment on it.  I've installed LXDE (and LXDM) and configured them to work on the machine.  But for remote xorg access purposes, I'm not sure what to do.  I've seen many tutorials on using TigerVNC, but I see that Tiger is just an offshoot of TightVNC, and there's another package called x11vnc!  Is there a major difference between these?  Does one offer certain advantages over another?  Is one best for a low-powered system?

\o/

#2 2013-02-24 21:40:34

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Choice of VNC Software

The wiki knows the answers to your questions.  Once you read it, you too will.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vncserver

Last edited by graysky (2013-02-24 21:41:10)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2013-02-24 21:54:37

Gusar

TightVNC is ooooooooooold, you sholdn't use it anymore. Because TigerVNC is better, it has quite a few performance enhancements over TightVNC.

x11vnc is to export an existing X server, instead of creating a virtual X display. TigerVNC can do that too, by creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-vnc.conf:

Section "Module"
	Load		"vnc"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Option		"PasswordFile"		"/home/yourusername/.vnc/passwd"
EndSection

As to which is faster for exporting an existing X, x11vnc or TigerVNC, I don't know. I'd say TigerVNC, especially tigervnc-svn from AUR, but I haven't actually measured.

Basically, if you want to configure a virtual X display, that link graysky gave has plenty of info. If you want to export your existing X server, I've shown you how to do that with TigerVNC.

#4 2013-02-24 22:11:58

goakley
Website

Ah, that makes sense!  I didn't fully realize what the virtual/physical X display stuff was, but I think I understand.  "Exporting" will connect to an existing X session, such as one that is loaded by a display manager, while virtual X displays are entirely new instances of an X server (that happen to perpetuate across sessions)?  In that case, I think X11vnc more suits my personal needs.

\o/

#5 2013-02-24 22:31:28

Gusar

Yes, virtual X displays are a separate server (Xvnc), only accessible with a vnc viewer. You don't need to have the usual xorg-server installed for this to work. x11vnc, or using TigerVNC as in my example, exports what you actually see on the screen where the X server is running. This requires the usual xorg-server to be installed and running.

The advantage of Xvnc is that you don't need a monitor attached to the computer, you don't even need a graphic card in it. This saves power. It's also faster than exporting an existing X.

Last edited by Gusar (2013-02-24 22:33:37)

Board footer