Newest edit: everything works in a root login. it doesn't have to do with the wm/de. Nothing to do wtih browsers. Nothing do do with skype. Nothing to do with music players.
Edit: this is very likely a problem with awesome window manager.
So, since the new kernel update, I rebooted and had to manually boot the kernel for some reason. (was originally using syslinux)
It also took quite some time at loading "Reached Target Sound Card".
When I start x, the sound and speed are temporarily normal.
After a sleight amount of time (around 3 minutes), the sound stops working completely and everything seems to be at some kind of supersonic speed.
Video, music players, everything.
I am on AwesomeWM
My music player(s) are amarok and cmus.
NVIDIA Corporation MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio (rev a1)
Last edited by engraze (2013-02-21 19:38:01)
Nope I don't have this problem here. But I have another problem: You don't really provide much information about your system. What DE do you use? What soundcard? What music player? ...
Updated the first post with more information on it.
Sorry about that.
I remember experiencing this in the past. I can't remember what I did to fix it. Whatever it was was simple... Like, rebooting again. Or unplugging a naughty USB device, like my webcam, and rebooting.
Also, are you using HDMI audio like I am? I use regular audio jack speakers, except when I watch videos from my computer on my TV with HDMI.
Yes, I am using HDMI audio. And, I rebooted at least 15 times already.
And, I have nothing connected there other than my keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor.
Also, when you're booting arch, do/did you wait long when it said "Reached target sound card"?
Cause, that's been happening to me ever since I've installed arch.
Edit: I realized it might be skype that's doing the dirty work here.
Edit2: Not at all...
Last edited by engraze (2013-02-21 18:58:30)
Well, after trying a bunch of shit and not getting any results, I logged in as root and it all works smoothly here. Perhaps it's because it's on openbox?
Conclusion: very possibly a problem with awesomewm.
Ok in that case it might be a config problem. Logging in as root isn't the best idea on the long term. Instead, create a new user and log in. If everything's fine there, you know that there must be something in your ~ that causes this. Maybe a buggy asound.conf?
Well, I tried everything and it didn't work so I re made the user and kept the more important files.
I remember experiencing this in the past. I can't remember what I did to fix it.
AHHHHHHHHH! I think I just remembered what I did to fix it! I added myself to the audio group.
See, I was messing around with groups because the Users and Groups wiki page says "None of these groups is needed for standard desktop permissions like sound". Well, that page is full of snot! After removing myself from the "audio" group my HDMI audio sounded like chipmunk voices.
...and just to be safe, here are all the groups I'm in: wheel audio optical storage power users
@drcouzelis, you can always check out what group functionality the "uaccess" tag actually provides by looking at the file located at /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/70-uaccess.rules