You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-24 19:23:42

rubick

[Solved] Disable Thunar daemon at startup

Hi,
I have noticed that something in my system starts Thunar daemon on startup. Since I don't want the daemon to be running, i would like to disable it. I tried to search what could start it with no luck so far.

First of all I looked what is the parent of the daemon

[ondra@dell ~]$ pstree
systemd─┬─Thunar
        ├─agetty

So it looks like systemd is launching it. I explored /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ but there is no mention about Thunar. I also issued systemctl command to see loaded units - nothing.

I also noticed that it is launched after I login in SLiM login manager. I have searched SLiM config file with no luck. I also searched startxfce4 scritpt, which is in my ~/.xinitrc - no luck.
Does anybody have an idea how is Thunar daemon started? Thanks

Last edited by rubick (2013-02-25 11:25:30)

#2 2013-02-25 04:58:49

cris9288

Re: [Solved] Disable Thunar daemon at startup

xfce should have it's own menu where you can tell it what to start automatically at login. I believe it's under Settings Manager >> Session & Startup or something to that effect.

#3 2013-02-25 06:33:57

swanson

Don't you use Thunar?

#4 2013-02-25 09:53:14

rubick

cris9288: I've explored Application autostart in Session and Startup settings, but Thunar entry is not there.

swanson: I use it, but I want to play with it's source code, so I have a system version of Thunar and local version compiled from GIT in my home directory. But when Thunar daemon is running, no matter which version I launch, it proably connects to daemon (of system Thunar) and tells it to display it's window (or something in that way). If I kill the daemon with

killall Thunar

then I am able to run local version of Thunar. So I would like to disable Thunar daemon, so I don't need to do it manually every time. The second reason is that I am really curious what is starting it.

#5 2013-02-25 10:37:08

swanson

I see. I'm a heavy Thunar user since a long time but not Xfce, I'm afraid. But as I remember Xfce relies on config files in /etc/X11/xinit/ and/or /etc/xdg/* (autoopen and others). Take a look in those directories, might give what you need.

PS Did you try the Thunar extended version from AUR? It rocks! (It's not light but got some nice extra goodies)

#6 2013-02-25 11:24:44

rubick

I have found it. It's in /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

<property name="Client3_Command" type="array">
        <value type="string" value="Thunar"/>
        <value type="string" value="--daemon"/>
</property>
<property name="Client3_PerScreen" type="bool" value="false"/>

It's strange, that I was unable to find this option in Xfce settings. It would be better to set these things in user config instead of system wide. But at least now I know what is starting it and how to disable it. Thank you.

As for extended version of Thunar, I didn't know about it. I think I will try it, thanks for suggestion :-)

#7 2013-02-25 20:18:42

samuvuo

rubick wrote:

It's strange, that I was unable to find this option in Xfce settings. It would be better to set these things in user config instead of system wide.

But they are. Check out  ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml which gets updated when you make changes to Settings -> Sessions & Startup (as cris9288 already pointed out).

#8 2013-02-26 11:52:34

rubick

samuvuo wrote:
rubick wrote:

It's strange, that I was unable to find this option in Xfce settings. It would be better to set these things in user config instead of system wide.

But they are. Check out  ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml which gets updated when you make changes to Settings -> Sessions & Startup (as cris9288 already pointed out).

But Thunar is not listed in "Application autostart" tab. The only way how I managed to disable it upon next login was to kill it with killall command, then save the session. Is this the way how it's supposed to be disabled?

Board footer