You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-26 15:55:18

FathisAeril

Battery won't charge

Nice little story from the 'what the hell?' category for the week lol..

So I've got a Dell XPS 13z Ultrabook. As far as I know, yesterday the battery charged fine (i was plugged in most of the day, so maybe I just didnt notice that it wasn't), Today? It doesnt.

Title really does say it all though... laptop is plugged in. ACPI detects that is on AC power (battery monitor changes appropriately) battery won't drain. But battery won't charge either. Whatever the battery % is at, it stays at that level and wont charge higher. The XPS 13z has a nice hardware button on the side of the machine that queries the state of the battery via a set of 5 lights (1 light on for every 20% of battery power) I'm pretty sure it does it at that the hardware level, and the switch also says that the battery is at 40% charge (which is what the kde battery monitor says)

SO I guess this is a multipart question....

1) What the hell happened?
2) Anyway to query pacman for a list of recently updated packages? I know the packages that got updated from the last update, but I don't remember what got updated in the last few days.
3) What could cause this? Only recent update that I know of was a kernel upgrade from 3.8rc6 to 3.8 stable (AUR package) and the battery was charging fine while i was still on 3.8 so im finding it a little hard to believe that a bug of this magnitude snuck its way into rc7 that im now being hit by

It doesn't matter how much training you have. A broken rib is still a broken rib.

#2 2013-02-26 16:02:48

FathisAeril

Re: Battery won't charge

Topic can be closed.

As soon as I posted this I did a reboot and hopped into BIOS. I saw the "AC Type:" was marked as "Unknown" was made me think of the adapter (i knew it could have been the adapter but I didnt want to jump to "broken hardware!' immediately.) Played around with plug a little bit and the unknown changed to the proper "45 Watts" that it should be. The plug must've gotten jammed or bent a little when I put it into my backpack yesterday for college

It doesn't matter how much training you have. A broken rib is still a broken rib.

#3 2013-02-26 17:27:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Battery won't charge

FathisAeril wrote:

2) Anyway to query pacman for a list of recently updated packages? I know the packages that got updated from the last update, but I don't remember what got updated in the last few days.

tail -n50 /var/log/pacman.log

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer