You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-25 20:05:15

SomeoneE1se

Install from existing (Ubuntu on Acer C7 Chromebook)

I'm trying to install archlinux onto an acer C7 cromebook ubuntu install, via https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … on_scripts

I'm at the very last step of the script, trying to chroot to the new chroot

chroot archinstall-chroot /usr/bin/pacman -Sy works

but chroot . /bin/bash does not; no such file

lib is already a symlink to usr/lib and that got the pacman command to work. But nojoy on bin/bash Any ideas?

Once I can get arch installed I'll add a wiki how to entry for this chromebook.

#2 2013-02-25 21:38:13

olive

Re: Install from existing (Ubuntu on Acer C7 Chromebook)

Does /bin/bash exists in the chroot? I have not studied these unofficial scripts available here and there. But to install arch the only thing to do is to install the base group and then configure your system. If you have access to pacman this is relatively easy (look at the --root option). You can also use the official method with the arch install scripts. Blindly relying of unofficial scripts is error prone.

#3 2013-02-25 22:42:53

SomeoneE1se

It does exist, the problem is I don't have an extra partition to work from; the partition I have to install too is the linux partition that boots. I haven't been able to boot USB drive yet (that's what I'm going to try tonight by making a UEFI thumb drive)

What would happen if I chroot to a different partition then rm -rf the partition I came from?

e.g.
boot to sda7
chroot to sda4
mount sda7 /mnt
rm -rf /mnt
install arch to /mnt

or is there a way to install a base system on above /mnt overwriting everything that exists and then rm the extra files left over?

Last edited by SomeoneE1se (2013-02-25 22:44:46)

#4 2013-02-25 23:28:46

chris_l

@olive, that script what it does is to download the minimal files to enter a chroot environment able to execute the arch install scripts. In another words, the actual installation is done using the arch install scripts.

@SomeoneE1se:

If it can't execute bash, it means it wasn't downloaded. The script includes bash on the PACKAGES array (array of packages to be downloaded) but if it can't enter, sounds like it wasn't downloaded for some reason.
I would rm -Rf archinstall-chroot and then, check if I have enough disk space, and if I do, re-execute the script.

Now assuming you get inside the chroot:

SomeoneE1se wrote:

boot to sda7
chroot to sda4
mount sda7 /mnt
rm -rf /mnt
install arch to /mnt

In that example, you can't delete the sda7.

Ok, let me see if I get it.

You have sda7 and sda4. Your current linux system boots from sda7. You want your new arch system to be on sda7 and replace your current system.
You can use sda4 as a temporal medium for all this installation things.
I am correct?

So, I would boot on sda7, and execute the archinstall-bootstrap.sh script. And assuming that it now enters the chroot works correctly, I would mount my /dev/sda4 on the /mnt of that chroot, and use the arch-install scripts to install everything on sda4.
Then I would install & configure grub to start from sda4, and then I would reboot the machine.

Now inside this arch system booted from sda4, I would install the arch-install-scripts and do the installation on the sda7.
Sounds difficult? well, is always easier and better just to use the live cd, but if you are doing it like this, means you can't use it for some reason.

If the bash thing fail again, you could also try method 4; is not that hard actually.

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#5 2013-02-25 23:48:16

SomeoneE1se

chris_l wrote:

If it can't execute bash, it means it wasn't downloaded.

I'm sure it was, archinstall-chroot/bin/bash does work

chris_l wrote:

The script includes bash on the PACKAGES array (array of packages to be downloaded) but if it can't enter, sounds like it wasn't downloaded for some reason.
I would rm -Rf archinstall-chroot and then, check if I have enough disk space, and if I do, re-execute the script.

I think I did this but I'll try again

chris_l wrote:

Now assuming you get inside the chroot:

SomeoneE1se wrote:

boot to sda7
chroot to sda4
mount sda7 /mnt
rm -rf /mnt
install arch to /mnt

In that example, you can't delete the sda7.

bummer

chris_l wrote:

Ok, let me see if I get it.

You have sda7 and sda4. Your current linux system boots from sda7. You want your new arch system to be on sda7 and replace your current system.
You can use sda4 as a temporal medium for all this installation things.
I am correct?

Yes, but I can't boot to it. (yet, I'm l trying to figure out how chromebooks actually boot)

chris_l wrote:

So, I would boot on sda7, and execute the archinstall-bootstrap.sh script. And assuming that it now enters the chroot works correctly, I would mount my /dev/sda4 on the /mnt of that chroot, and use the arch-install scripts to install everything on sda4.
Then I would install & configure grub to start from sda4, and then I would reboot the machine.

I never thought I would miss grub, but no joy, it doesn't use grub as far as I can tell.

chris_l wrote:

Now inside this arch system booted from sda4, I would install the arch-install-scripts and do the installation on the sda7.
Sounds difficult? well, is always easier and better just to use the live cd, but if you are doing it like this, means you can't use it for some reason.

I'm going to try to get an UEFI drive to boot tonight. Hopefully that will work...

Because I can boot sda4 as ChromeOS, could I boot to CrOS (on sda4) and then install arch to sda7 from there? How (do I get the files I need to install arch)?

chris_l wrote:

If the bash thing fail again, you could also try method 4; is not that hard actually.

if I do get that to work, how hard would it be to remove everything ubuntu and leave only arch?

#6 2013-02-26 17:04:18

chris_l

SomeoneE1se wrote:

I never thought I would miss grub, but no joy, it doesn't use grub as far as I can tell.

It does not matter, if you get to that point, (that is, be able to enter the chroot where you can execute the archinstall scripts, mount /dev/sda4 on /mnt and use pacstrap /mnt base to install arch under /mnt)
then you can do pacstrap /mnt grub-efi-x86_64 (or grub-efi-i386) and follow the wiki to install grub on /dev/sda

SomeoneE1se wrote:

Because I can boot sda4 as ChromeOS, could I boot to CrOS (on sda4) and then install arch to sda7 from there? How (do I get the files I need to install arch)?

I'm a bit lost now. You can or cannot boot from sda4?

SomeoneE1se wrote:

if I do get that to work, how hard would it be to remove everything ubuntu and leave only arch?

If you get to the point to be able to install and boot arch on any of the partitions, removing the content of the other partition (and optionally, installing arch there) is easy.

I haven't ever used a chromebook, or used chromeos, so unfortunally, I can't give you detailed instructions. But I have done several installations using methods 1, 3 and 4 and I know they do work.

No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#7 2013-02-26 17:27:35

SomeoneE1se

chris_l wrote:

It does not matter, if you get to that point, (that is, be able to enter the chroot where you can execute the archinstall scripts, mount /dev/sda4 on /mnt and use pacstrap /mnt base to install arch under /mnt)
then you can do pacstrap /mnt grub-efi-x86_64 (or grub-efi-i386) and follow the wiki to install grub on /dev/sda

I don't think I can boot sda4, and I haven't been able to find anything that better explains uefi booting to me, I've been using cgpt to switch between chromeos and ubuntu, but I have no idea how that works so I can't make it work for me. (nor can I find documentation for it)

chris_l wrote:
SomeoneE1se wrote:

I'm a bit lost now. You can or cannot boot from sda4?

Don't actually know, that's the /home directory for chromeos, and the only other partion that I can mount at ext4 ,

but what ever partition it's actually booting for the / it's i686, and chromeos, meaning super limited in what I know how to do, and every time I try to chroot to a flashdrive it will complain about symlinks (vfat) or /bin/bash not found (no clue, why because chroot/bin/bash will work)

chris_l wrote:
SomeoneE1se wrote:

If you get to the point to be able to install and boot arch on any of the partitions, removing the content of the other partition (and optionally, installing arch there) is easy.

I haven't ever used a chromebook, or used chromeos, so unfortunally, I can't give you detailed instructions. But I have done several installations using methods 1, 3 and 4 and I know they do work.

Also, couldn't get the C7 to boot a flashdrive

#8 2013-02-26 18:13:16

SomeoneE1se

After a little experimentation with cgpt I've learned that ChromeOS keeps the kernel on one partition and the / on the next.

So in theory I could boot into Chrome and `rm -rf sda7` and then copy over a x86_64 version of archlinux, any idea where I can get one of those? Or is that stupid?

#9 2013-02-26 18:38:30

chris_l

SomeoneE1se wrote:

So in theory I could boot into Chrome and `rm -rf sda7` and then copy over a x86_64 version of archlinux, any idea where I can get one of those? Or is that stupid?

If your chrome is i686, then I would install arch i686, and once is done, I would follow the wiki article : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … installing to move to x86_64.

I don't know if your sda7 is big enough to hold arch. It is?

No.

#10 2013-02-26 22:53:23

SomeoneE1se

I got Archlinux working on the Acer C7!

Totally stoked! Thanks for your help chris_l

I want to put the steps on the arch wiki, anything I need to know or do before hand?

#11 2013-02-27 03:22:22

chris_l

I'm glad you done it!
You can edit the wiki just like that, but is way better if you read first the Help:Style article. It contain the correct style of writing on the wiki.

IMHO the most important things are: don't repeat things already said on other wiki pages: link to those pages instead. Use formal writing and avoid talking on first person... But, read the article, it will explain it better than me. tongue
Create an article called something like "Acer C7 Chromebook" and go for it!

Last edited by chris_l (2013-02-27 16:00:10)

No.

Board footer