You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-26 21:32:21

p_s_m

i have not permission to writing on all partitions!

hi, smile
i'm a new member of archlinux familly....i have x86-64 arch (with gnome ) on my notebook (dell inspiron 6400)
i have 5 seperated partitions and one of them belongs to "ARCH"(sda1)  (no seperated partitions for home , boot, ....)
all  my system file is ext4 - the issue is i can not write information to my partitions ! i can see the partition icons(and also i can mount them) , i can see all of my partiton's information , but i have not permission  to writing on my partitions neutral , i can just access to my home folder (full access) , and when i run nautilus as root ican just see the (/ =root) partition (in nautilus window) an i can read and write into  (but i can't see other partitions)    , please tell me the solution for this issue
other inf:

$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 149.1G  0 disk 
|-sda1   8:1    0    30G  0 part /boot
|-sda2   8:2    0  28.7G  0 part 
|-sda3   8:3    0     1K  0 part 
|-sda5   8:5    0    30G  0 part 
|-sda6   8:6    0    30G  0 part 
`-sda7   8:7    0    30G  0 part 
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
# /etc/fstab# 
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/sda1
UUID=3cf1ce7c-091c-40e1-bcbf-42803376c184       /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 1

# /dev/sda1
UUID=3cf1ce7c-091c-40e1-bcbf-42803376c184       /boot           ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 2

# /dev/sda1
UUID=3cf1ce7c-091c-40e1-bcbf-42803376c184       /home           ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 2
$ groups `whoami`

disk lp wheel video audio optical floppy storage scanner power users

thanks for your kindness smile

Last edited by p_s_m (2013-02-27 02:45:27)

We are learning.....Observing......We are getting smarter every day......It is happening fast.....Knowledge amplification
                            What one knows......We all know......What one learns......We all benefit from
                                                                   We are here
                                                                   We are LINUX

#2 2013-02-26 21:40:05

ewaller
Administrator

Re: i have not permission to writing on all partitions!

I changed your [quote ] tags to [code ] tags.  Much more easy to read when the columns line up smile

What are the \$ symbols in fstab?  I do not know that notation.   I believe those should say 'default'
Likewise, there should be two more columns for the 'dump' and 'pass' parameters.

man fstab  may help.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-02-26 22:04:49

cfr

You shouldn't be mounting /dev/sda1 in three different places. If you have a single partition for Arch, you just need one line for that partition in fstab - delete the lines for /boot and /home.

[And what ewaller said, obviously.]

Also, delete the = sign at the start of the first line of fstab.

Last edited by cfr (2013-02-26 22:06:16)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2013-02-27 00:35:14

p_s_m

1-thanks for your attention and  also thanks for "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"  and sorry that i asked my question like beginners   big_smile 

2-i edited earlier post (as you can see that i have "dump" and "pass")

3- "cfr" ....... i try that and i will tell you the results...   

tanx again  smile

Last edited by p_s_m (2013-02-28 03:27:03)

We are learning.....Observing......We are getting smarter every day......It is happening fast.....Knowledge amplification
                                                                   We are here
                                                                   We are LINUX

#5 2013-02-27 04:03:55

p_s_m

cfr ....  i deleted that 2 lines --------> reboot -------> i got this error massage (when i typed my password in login screen )

"could not update ICEauthority file /home/miki/.ICEauthorithy"

i think when i was installing arch (5-6 dayes a go) on my laptop i mounted "/" and ......" boot"  and ....."home"     in CHROOT section ! maybe it's the mistake!

i have access to all of my partitions ...but i can only write data into home! and all other partitions "owned by root" please help me cause i'm too tired of searching

in  different forums from 5 days ago                                     

thanx again for your attention and support   smile

Last edited by p_s_m (2013-02-27 04:06:56)

We are here
                                                                   We are LINUX

#6 2013-02-27 04:36:26

ewaller
Administrator

When you've the partitions mounted as you think they should be, please execute the command mount and post the output here.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2013-02-27 12:56:24

p_s_m

ewaller wrote:

When you've the partitions mounted as you think they should be, please execute the command mount and post the output here.

tanx ewaller         smile

$mount 

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1024124k,nr_inodes=256031,mode=755)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=27,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda1 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1001/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1001,group_id=100)

We are here
                                                                   We are LINUX

#8 2013-02-27 15:02:00

cookies

p_s_m wrote:

i have access to all of my partitions ...but i can only write data into home! and all other partitions "owned by root"

That's the way it's supposed to be, as far as I can see.

You may do whatever you want to any file you own (i.e. everything that's in your home directory). You cannot edit files you don't own (unless the owner gives you permission to do so, see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/chmod for starters), this prevents you from accidentally breaking your system.

If you still want or have to edit a file you don't own, you may use sudo (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo).

If that still sounds like some kind of strange magic you should do some reading about users and groups and permissions in general.

#9 2013-02-27 23:11:37

cfr

p_s_m wrote:
$mount 
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /home type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

This isn't right. You should not have the same partition mounted in 3 different places in the filesystem. Can you post your current fstab? Did you reboot after editing it before?

If the partitions were mounted like this when you installed, that may have screwed things up and you will need to disentangle things.

You could boot from the live media, mount /dev/sda1 somewhere (e.g. /mnt/arch) and then see what ls -al /mnt/arch gives you. Or you could logout, login as root. unmount /boot and /home and then examine the contents of / instead.

Last edited by cfr (2013-02-27 23:14:22)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#10 2013-02-28 03:21:02

p_s_m

hi friends ! thank you all

i should say huray...huray....to Mr.Iman Amini one of the best GNU/Linux professional  in iran who gave me the correct solution....now i can write into all my partitions! big_smile

Mr.Iman thank you so much...and best wishes for you......i asked him my question and however he is a busy man, he answered me less than 6 hours....with kindness smile

and now lets tell you the correct solution

he said if you want for example mount your "sda5" partition and have access for writing and execute....just follow the commands:

sudo -i                                       --------->for root
#mkdir /media/Backup                          --------->to make a folder in media 
#mount /dev/sda5 /media/Backup                --------->for mounting partition
#chown yourname.yourname /media/Backup        --------->for fix permission

i did that and now i have permission to read ,write ,execute in all partitions  big_smile

Mr.Iman Amini you are amaznig         his weblog address.....is http://emanlog.com

Last edited by p_s_m (2013-02-28 03:23:53)

We are here
                                                                   We are LINUX

#11 2013-02-28 06:35:52

isacdaavid
Website

cookies wrote:
p_s_m wrote:

i have access to all of my partitions ...but i can only write data into home! and all other partitions "owned by root"

That's the way it's supposed to be, as far as I can see.

You may do whatever you want to any file you own (i.e. everything that's in your home directory). You cannot edit files you don't own (unless the owner gives you permission to do so, see
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/chmod for starters), this prevents you from accidentally breaking your system.

If you still want or have to edit a file you don't own, you may use sudo (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo).

If that still sounds like some kind of strange magic you should do some reading about users and groups and permissions in general.

Pretty much this. As a normal user you are not supposed to have write permissions for stuff outside of your home folder. The least privilege approach is one of the key points in every Unix-like system security. This is not windows where your main account runs with admin permissions all the time by default, so if you want to have full access to partitions you either have to mount them inside your user directory (supposing they aren't already mounted in /, /boot or the like) or use the root account (maybe through su).

#12 2013-02-28 14:15:28

s1ln7m4s7r

and if you wish to browse the system with administrative privileges, you can do

sudo nautilus

instead of nautilus (gnome file manager), you can use either thunar,pcmanfm, etc.

Last edited by s1ln7m4s7r (2013-02-28 14:16:25)

#13 2013-02-28 23:20:55

cfr

What they said ^^.  It is NOT correct to have write permission to everything as a normal user and this will cause you problems as well as opening gaping security holes.

In addition, it is NOT correct to have /dev/sda1 mounted in three different places at the same time and this will cause you problems.

That your system currently behaves as you think it should does NOT change this.

Last edited by cfr (2013-02-28 23:21:08)

#14 2013-03-01 00:48:17

dag

its all about ownership home is what you own if you had more than one user they would have ownership of there own home and not yours. root is a user that has ownership of everything yet it has things specific to root which no one but root can touch another name for root is super user. windows makes the user super user by default unless you create different users this is a bad habit to teach users new to computers. on linux you do not login as super user but as a user which requires root priveleges via su or sudo.

--------------------------------------
alcoves wonder creates the wonder unto the ages; never lose that.

Board footer