You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-28 08:39:56

parcival
Member
From: Zürich
Registered: 2013-02-27
Posts: 18

Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

Hello everyone,

I am an Arch newbie and did my first Arch installation successfully last night. smile

During the installation, a problem occured in chapter Configure the network of the Beginner's Guide. When executing

# systemctl start dhcpcd

the system refuses to do it, it complains it is in a chrooted environment and ignores the command. Consequently, I didn't have an internet connection after the reboot, but executing this piece of code again in my "real" system quickly solved the problem.

Since Arch is a community effort and I'd like to give back, even if it's just small things as a newbie, I'd like to help improve the Wiki, but I am not sure about its etiquette after going through the Help:Editing as it has a rather technical nature, but not the policies.

Is it ok for me to make direct editions to the Beginner's Guide?
If yes, should I just add a note along the lines "repeat this command in case you get the error..."? Or what do you suggest to have a streamlined style of writing?

Thanks for any feedback. smile


What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence.

- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Offline

#2 2013-02-28 09:07:21

illusionist
Member
From: localhost
Registered: 2012-04-03
Posts: 498

Re: Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

Anyone can contribute to the wiki. If in doubt; you may always discuss your change in the "talk" of that topic.


  Never argue with stupid people,They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.--Mark Twain
@github

Offline

#3 2013-02-28 10:19:39

tumas
Member
Registered: 2012-02-08
Posts: 89

Re: Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

parcival wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am an Arch newbie and did my first Arch installation successfully last night. smile

During the installation, a problem occured in chapter Configure the network of the Beginner's Guide. When executing

# systemctl start dhcpcd

the system refuses to do it, it complains it is in a chrooted environment and ignores the command. Consequently, I didn't have an internet connection after the reboot, but executing this piece of code again in my "real" system quickly solved the problem.

Since Arch is a community effort and I'd like to give back, even if it's just small things as a newbie, I'd like to help improve the Wiki, but I am not sure about its etiquette after going through the Help:Editing as it has a rather technical nature, but not the policies.

Is it ok for me to make direct editions to the Beginner's Guide?
If yes, should I just add a note along the lines "repeat this command in case you get the error..."? Or what do you suggest to have a streamlined style of writing?

Thanks for any feedback. smile

I am no expert, but in order to install arch, u need an internet connection already before the install process. And after the chroot, that connection will not change; the "systemctl start dhcpcd command" therefore is in my opinion not necessary.
It makes sense to run "systemctl enable dhcpcd" after the chroot to start the internet connection during the next reboot. (That's probably also what u want to do; else u need to run the start command everytime u reboot your system)

PS: Welcome to the "Arch Family" wink

Last edited by tumas (2013-02-28 10:22:08)

Offline

#4 2013-02-28 12:50:45

drcouzelis
Member
From: Connecticut, USA
Registered: 2009-11-09
Posts: 3,405
Website

Re: Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

If no one wanted you to change the Arch Linux wiki, then they wouldn't have given you permission to do so. wink

Offline

#5 2013-02-28 13:17:20

kynikos
Wiki Admin
Registered: 2010-12-28
Posts: 156

Re: Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

parcival wrote:

Since Arch is a community effort and I'd like to give back, even if it's just small things as a newbie, I'd like to help improve the Wiki, but I am not sure about its etiquette after going through the Help:Editing as it has a rather technical nature, but not the policies.

Help:Style may be the article you're looking for.

parcival wrote:

Consequently, I didn't have an internet connection after the reboot, but executing this piece of code again in my "real" system quickly solved the problem.

tumas wrote:

I am no expert, but in order to install arch, u need an internet connection already before the install process. And after the chroot, that connection will not change; the "systemctl start dhcpcd command" therefore is in my opinion not necessary.
It makes sense to run "systemctl enable dhcpcd" after the chroot to start the internet connection during the next reboot. (That's probably also what u want to do; else u need to run the start command everytime u reboot your system)

Theoretically I agree with tumas, you should just need to enable the service in the chroot, not start it, so it's interesting that your internet connection wasn't working after rebooting, as dhcpcd should have started automatically.

I'm sorry but I can't test the installation now, hopefully somebody else will be able to help...

Offline

#6 2013-02-28 13:31:44

kynikos
Wiki Admin
Registered: 2010-12-28
Posts: 156

Re: Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

Ok, after investigating a little while I've noticed that the start command has been added very recently by an unexperienced user, so I've just reverted it.

Offline

#7 2013-02-28 17:04:50

McDoenerKing
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 57

Re: Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

I reinstalled my arch yesterday for fun on my netbook to look at the new installation process.
I came across this piece too and was "smart" enough to use enable instead of start, but after rebooting the name of my interface had changed. So this is better executed after booting the new installation. My interface was eth0 during installation and after reboot enp9s0.

Offline

#8 2013-02-28 17:38:16

tumas
Member
Registered: 2012-02-08
Posts: 89

Re: Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

McDoenerKing wrote:

I reinstalled my arch yesterday for fun on my netbook to look at the new installation process.
I came across this piece too and was "smart" enough to use enable instead of start, but after rebooting the name of my interface had changed. So this is better executed after booting the new installation. My interface was eth0 during installation and after reboot enp9s0.

Makes sense, but if there is no need to specify a single interface on your system, u could also just try "systemctl enable dhcpcd.service". Works fine on all of my systems.

Offline

#9 2013-03-01 10:27:41

parcival
Member
From: Zürich
Registered: 2013-02-27
Posts: 18

Re: Not familiar with wiki etiquette, Beginner's Guide needs to be changed

@kynikos thanks for all your support - and everyone else, of course. smile

Last edited by parcival (2013-03-02 10:07:11)


What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence.

- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB