You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-01 01:11:21

xworld

Slow Conky

Hello Archlinux users. I have been trying to tweak a problem with my top conky(I have two). The problem is that it seems to be slow. The two symptoms I notice are:

a. When I edit it, it often takes awhile to refresh. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't refresh at all until I reboot.

b. The clock updates very slowly. It usually seemed to change only ever fifteen minutes. Recently I've somehow managed to get it to update quicker but I'd really like it to change with the actual time. Other conkys I've had have done this and the scripting seems to be the same.

Well, here's the conky:

alignment top_left
border_width 50
default_color bbbbbb
double_buffer yes
draw_borders no
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
gap_x 3
gap_y 3
maximum_width 3000
total_run_times 0
no_buffers yes
override_utf8_locale yes
own_window_colour eeeeee
own_window_hints undecorated,below,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,sticky
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type override
own_window yes
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 0.5
uppercase no
#use_spacer yes
use_xft yes
xftfont Nu:size=7

TEXT
${image ~/.icons/archlinux/icons/archlinuxiconcrystal128.png -p 12,0 -s 64x64}
${voffset -10}${offset 190}$alignr| ${color 99cccc}Kernel: $color${kernel}$color ${color eeeeee} ${font}${color 99cccc}Hostname: $color${nodename} ${color eeeeee}| ${color 99cccc}External IP: $color${execi 10 wget -O - http://ip.tupeux.com | tail} ${color eeeeee} ${color 99cccc}wlan0: $color${addr wlan0} ${color eeeeee} ${color 99cccc}Mac: $color${exec ifconfig wlan0 | grep -o -E '([[:xdigit:]]{1,2}:){5}[[:xdigit:]]{1,2}'} ${color eeeeee}|${color 99cccc} RAM $color${memperc}%${offset -75}${color eeeeee}${offset 55}${color ffffff}        |${color 99cccc}Home $color${fs_bar 6,75 /home}${offset -75}${voffset -1}${color eeeeee}${offset 55}${color ffffff}          ${voffset 1}${color 99cccc}Root $color${fs_bar 6,75 /}${offset -75}${voffset -1}${color eeeeee}${offset 55} ${color ffffff}       | ${color 99cccc}Battery: $color${battery_percent}%${color eeeeee} | ${color 99cccc}${time %I:%M %p - %b %e} ${color eeeeee}|

It runs along the top of my screen. I figure maybe it's a scripting error on my part, maybe I am uselessly forcing something to keep updating and using up too much memory. But honestly I don't know.

Last edited by xworld (2013-03-01 01:12:41)

#2 2013-03-01 03:14:44

moetunes

Re: Slow Conky

I had a play with your conkyrc while having my lunchtime coffee.
A couple of points: why set the border to 50 if you aren't using a border? it's not necessary to check your external ip every 10 secs... so I changed that to a check every half hour.
I didn't have the font you use or the icon so I commented them out, I also added seconds to the time to make sure it updated ok and I removed some offsets so it would fit on my monitor.
This updates fine here:

alignment top_left
border_width 0
default_color bbbbbb
double_buffer yes
draw_borders no
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
gap_x 10
gap_y 50
maximum_width 1300
total_run_times 0
no_buffers yes
override_utf8_locale yes
own_window_colour eeeeee
own_window_hints undecorated,below,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,sticky
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type override
own_window yes
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 0.5
uppercase no
#use_spacer yes
#use_xft yes
#xftfont Nu:size=7
#${image ~/.icons/archlinux/icons/archlinuxiconcrystal128.png -p 12,0 -s 64x64}

${voffset -10}${offset 190}$alignr| ${color 99cccc}Kernel: $color${kernel}$color ${color eeeeee} ${font}${color 99cccc}Hostname: $color${nodename} ${color eeeeee}| ${color 99cccc}External IP: $color${execi 10 wget -O - http://ip.tupeux.com | tail} ${color eeeeee} ${color 99cccc}wlan0: $color${addr wlan0} ${color eeeeee} ${color 99cccc}Mac: $color${exec ifconfig wlan0 | grep -o -E '([[:xdigit:]]{1,2}:){5}[[:xdigit:]]{1,2}'} ${color eeeeee}|${color 99cccc} RAM $color${memperc}%${offset -75}${color eeeeee}${offset 55}${color ffffff}        |${color 99cccc}Home $color${fs_bar 6,75 /home}${offset -75}${voffset -1}${color eeeeee}${offset 55}${color ffffff}          ${voffset 1}${color 99cccc}Root $color${fs_bar 6,75 /}${offset -75}${voffset -1}${color eeeeee}${offset 55} ${color ffffff}       | ${color 99cccc}Battery: $color${battery_percent}%${color eeeeee} | ${color 99cccc}${time %I:%M %p - %b %e} ${color eeeeee}|

colour changes take some work and your colour changes are subtle - you can notice them?
if this updates ok for you add the stuff I removed back one at a time until it slows up again and then you'll know what the culprit is.

HTH

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#3 2013-03-01 16:57:46

xworld

Wow, I really appreciate you taking your time to do that for me. I will apply your changes and figure out the culprit, then report back when I find it. Thanks.

#4 2013-03-05 00:05:38

xworld

Forgive me but I do not see where you changed the external IP script. It appears to be the same as my original one. In fact, it doesn't seem that you made changes to the time either. It seems you only commented the icon and set the border to 0.

Last edited by xworld (2013-03-05 00:06:38)

#5 2013-03-11 06:51:12

moetunes

Don't know what happened there then... I just changed the execi from 10 to 1800 to make it a half hour and added %S to show seconds.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Board footer