You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-15 12:13:35

cyberfrem

0.7 or 0.7.1?

Hi,

I'm a beginner level Linux user but more advanced than a newb.
I have performed basic support on Red Hat servers in my workplace.
I have dabbled with a number of distros, trying to get more into Linux.  My latest, and best, venture was with Mepis which has worked faultlessly for me - the best distro so far that I've tried.  However, I do not feel my knowledge is moving forward and I don't like the fact that my software has been chosen for me and I have no idea how to identify the redundant stuff so that I can remove it without causing problems!

Enter Arch Linux.

I've been reading/researching it for a few days now and its philosophy seems to be in line with my own; ie. be in control, KISS, install only what you want, etc.

The reviews that I have read have only increased my interest and desire to swap distro again - hopefully for the last time.

I've looked thru' the Wiki and the forum to gain better insight.

And now, (finally!), to my question:

I want to take the easiest/quickest path so should I:

a) install version 0.7 and then perform the actions required to migrate from devfs to udev and the actions required to update to kernel 2.6.14?

or

b) would this be more efficiently achieved by downloading and using the 0.7.1 BASE iso?

#2 2005-11-15 13:06:53

omgpro

Re: 0.7 or 0.7.1?

Welcome to arch  big_smile

Probaly the smartest thing to do would be install 0.7.1 right off the bat.  there have been a lot of changes since 0.7 and you'd have to first install everything and get it running, and then switch things around for udev, gcc4, etc. However, 0.7.1 apparently isn't amazingly stable in some respects at the moment, and is still alpha(i believe).
Basically, how i see it, the easiest way would be to install straight 0.7.1
the most secure way would be to install 0.7 and upgrade. I guess it's mostly a matter of preference.

#3 2005-11-15 14:17:42

azucaro

I just installed about 3 days ago straight from the 0.7 install cd, which I've had for a long while now. A few changes to the installation (migrate to udev - a change in grub or lilo is needed) and you are essentially good to go with an FTP installation.

While Noodle may be deemed unstable, I have all major functions working flawlessly right "out of the box": MySql, Apache, Open Office, Xfce4 (with a small glitch), PHP, Perl...

If you are going to stick with the major packages, I think you'll be fine. As an added bonus, you'll learn a lot in the process.

df -h /my/head

#4 2005-11-15 15:52:22

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I installed from 0.7.1 without problem. To be honest, I don't think its much different from 0.7 except for the new kernel setup and updated packages. It would *probably* make your life easier, but if things blow up in your face, you can always try 0.7 afterwards. :-)

A huge welcome to Arch. We like people who do their research here.   smile

Dusty

#5 2005-11-15 17:55:47

desertViking

Hi,

I'm a beginner level Linux user but more advanced than a newb.

I'm more of a newbie than you, and found my way to Arch a few weeks ago.  I installed 0.7, and did an upgrade to 0.7.1, and did a clean install of 0.7.1 on a second workstation.

IMHO, it is a bit of work to do the upgrade and I found the 0.7.1 clean install easier to manage.  I'd trust the opinions of others here as to the stablilty of either.

My small home network is pretty much down the middle of the road and both revisions have worked great for me.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#6 2005-11-15 18:52:27

Shofs

I installed 0.7 on a box not more then 2 weeks ago. I swited it to uDev, not hard, and the ftp install retrieved all the updated packages. That's it. It was very simple and straight forward. I did not, however, install kernel 2.6.14. With all those changes (initrd) I might have had a problem.

#7 2005-11-15 19:40:52

Bysshe

I would do 0.7.1 install.  I really think getting .7 installed and then set up correctly will take alot more time than any foreseeable problems. Might run into some quirks at worst, IMO, but for the whole, I just went with the testing kernel last night, as the last update to the pending Noodle compilation, and everything before seemed perfect, but I admit I've had little time to test the kernel though it seems fine.

#8 2005-11-15 21:19:20

CyberTron
Website

I would also use the 0.7.1 iso, since then you may skip some problems that might occur...

i did a flawless install ini qemu...no problems at all

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#9 2005-11-17 09:13:44

cyberfrem

My thanks to you all.

I decided in the end to take the difficult route and install the 0.7 base first, (figuring that the extra work would teach me more).

Performed the base install.
Got my wired networking going.
Updated my installation - network no longer worked after reboot.
Migrated devfs to udev.
Fixed the networking.
Installed hwd and replaced hotplug.
Installed xorg.
Configured xorg successfully for my hardware.
Installed xfce4.
Installed Firefox.

Hey, this is great.  I feel a real sense of achievement and satisfaction.

Now if I can just get wireless networking going...

Board footer