You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-02 04:04:39

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] Replacing an existing Arch drive with a new one

I want to swap out my SATA drive with a new one, without reloading anything, nor borking anything..... The original drive is 1TB, and the new HDD is also 1TB, albeit from different manufacturers.

I have WIn 7 in a 256Gb partition, and Arch in the extended partitions worth 750Gb. The drive is a 1 TB drive. (Hitachi)

Arch is my primary OS where I do all my design/cad work and office related stuff. Windows is only used as a gaming platform.

I have been given a NIB 1Tb Seagate Constellation enterprise class drive. It is significantly faster than my existing drive. I wish to switch the drives out.

I am really wanting to avoid a complete reload of both OS's.

My son tells me to use "dd" which I am familiar with, but warns that upon reboot Windows will likely have issues and be very slow.

I have a heavy workload at the moment, and just don't have a day to spend reloading both OS's from scratch.

Is there a better way to image a drive, partition scheme, boot sector, the whole smash (I have a 2TB drive to hold the image) .......R&R the old drive, install the new drive, then have the software then copy back over to the new drive the image with the partitioning scheme and boot sector (syslinux) without borking anything up in either OS?

Assistance is greatly appreciated. I have not needed to do this before...and I'm nervous.

Thank You!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2013-03-02 04:48:08)

#2 2013-03-02 04:19:48

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Replacing an existing Arch drive with a new one

clonezilla

#3 2013-03-02 04:47:50

dcbdbis

THANK YOU!

Exactly what I was looking for. I hadn't even heard of this software before now.

I sincerely appreciate the pointer in the right direction.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

#4 2013-03-02 04:50:26

x33a
Forum Fellow

Be sure to post your experience smile

#5 2013-03-02 05:04:53

dcbdbis

Absolutely...Be happy to....

Dave

#6 2013-03-04 21:04:11

andrekp

FWIW, check if your new drive is one meant for the newer 4K sectors.  If so, you should only blindly dd it if the old drive was also set up this way.  If not, then you may need to align the copied data to the 4K sectors, or set up the partitions on the new drive appropriately.  (Western Digital, for example, has an align tool that buzzes through the drive edging everything over to align properly.  If you don't do this and your drive is copied out of alignment, then you can get some slowdown.)

Quite possibly not an issue for you, and there's more to it than I've typed.  It's not hard to do right if needed.  GParted can partition on the correct boundaries, and clonezilla quite possibly is aware as well (I haven't looked). You just need to see if your drives are set up as advanced format (or whatever it's called) and copy accordingly if needed.

I only mention this because there are currently mixed drive types out there and a surprising number of people don't know anything about this and might be taken by surprise.

#7 2013-03-05 01:00:09

WonderWoofy

For the windows part, I think that x33a's clonezilla is a good option.  But whenever I am required to move a Linux install from one place to another, I typically use tar or rsync, as it also takes care of the minimal amounts of fragmenting we Linux users experience.  Also, it gives me the option of moving from one filesystem to another if I please.

#8 2013-03-05 01:08:12

dcbdbis

I appreciate the answers. I haven't moved anything yet. Got swamped with work as soon as I got out of bed today......

I'll will report back when I have it moved.

Thanks you all!

Dave....

#9 2013-03-05 08:58:40

x33a
Forum Fellow

@ WonderWoofy

I myself migrated my arch install to another drive with good old "copy -a", but for a complex scenario as dcbdis', I thought clonezilla is a better option.

Board footer