You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-16 04:36:01

apsabelhaus

Boot, immediate blank (freeze?) on Samsung UMPC [SOLVED]

Hello Arch Community!

I'm a longtime linux user making the switch to Arch for my newest computer. It's a Samsung NP-Q1EX, one of their UMPCs from about 2009. General info about the underlying guts:

VIA Nano U2500 (64-bit, 1.2 GHz)
2 GB DDR2 RAM
VIA Chrome9 HC3 integrated graphics
1024x600 screen w/touch
I'm using the 2013-2 install media.

This graphics chipset is notoriously terrible under linux when people try to use X, but I'm having trouble even getting the command line up for more than a few seconds from the basic Arch install media. The boot process seems to work fine, and I get dumped to the command line. At that point, I have about 2-5 seconds before the screen blanks out, and the computer becomes unusable. During this time period, everything works fine - I can even get a command or two to run if I type quickly - and I can also do a Ctrl-Alt-FX to switch to other ttys. However, as soon as this screen blanking happens, the Ctrl-Alt-FX doesn't do a darn thing. If I didn't know better, I would say it was trying to run X.org, and that was crashing the system / segfaults and such - but I know that the Arch install doesn't do a GUI!

Another piece of info: I have an Xubuntu 11.10 rescue install on a flashdrive, and when I use it, I get different results. That distro jumps right into XFCE, and I get crazy screen nonsense due to incorrect drivers and whatnot. However, I can Ctrl-Alt-F1 into another terminal and play around perfectly fine (I backed up some files this way.) So, it appears that Ubuntu without X works fine.

I tried all the suggestions I could find about KMS, graphics modes, and all that: nothing on the "Beginner's Guide -> Troubleshooting Boot" page made a difference.

I truthfully have no idea what to try next. Does anyone have suggestions for pinpointing the problem? Is there a way, for example, to step through the kernel's initialization? Maybe try a different default shell? Unfortunately, the computer doesn't have an Ethernet port, so I can't SSH in and see what's going on. Is there a way to have the boot process on the install media save a log somewhere?

Thanks for the suggestions! If I get this going, I hope to come here often and help out with other questions as I can smile

-Drew

Last edited by apsabelhaus (2013-03-20 16:58:20)

#2 2013-02-16 04:44:26

the sad clown

Re: Boot, immediate blank (freeze?) on Samsung UMPC [SOLVED]

Not sure how quick a typist you are, but you could try 'journalctl -f' and see what it spits out before it comes to a crash.

Edit: argh.  You are trying a live media.  Better minds than mine need to help you.

Last edited by the sad clown (2013-02-16 04:48:18)

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2013-03-03 06:26:27

chubs

You might be having the same problem I just had with a VIA chipset.  See if blacklisting viafb does the trick.

#4 2013-03-03 12:22:13

funkypotatoe

Same problem here with old pc i'm using temporary. Nvidia 6600gt, 2gb ram and no more info about hw. Just tried to install arch, everything was fine untill boot. But i don't even have few seconds to type. My screen blanks out after systemd  messages start appearing with debug mode enabled in grub.

#5 2013-03-03 12:58:36

Spider.007

Maybe booting in single user mode (append 1 to kernel line) helps? That should drop you in the initcpio with some basic commands available to debug things. Does your Sysrq key still work with a black screen?

#6 2013-03-03 13:02:47

funkypotatoe

User mode 1 gives the same result. Booting from livecd, chrooting to arch and installing nvidia-304xx drivers resolved my problems.

#7 2013-03-03 13:05:27

Spider.007

funkypotatoe wrote:

User mode 1 gives the same result. Booting from livecd, chrooting to arch and installing nvidia-304xx drivers resolved my problems.

So you are actually hijacking someone elses thread with a different problem? Cause apsabelhaus is already booting from a live-cd where no nvidia binaries are installed, and I don't see any nvidia hardware in his setup either

#8 2013-03-03 13:32:32

funkypotatoe

Spider.007 wrote:
funkypotatoe wrote:

So you are actually hijacking someone elses thread with a different problem? Cause apsabelhaus is already booting from a live-cd where no nvidia binaries are installed, and I don't see any nvidia hardware in his setup either

Are you sure it is another problem ? After installing base system screen doesn't work straight after boot up process. Installing proper video drivers helped me, blacklisting viafb module (via integrated graphic) helped in a topic linked before. Looks like problem with loaded video driver in default configuration.

#9 2013-03-20 03:47:04

apsabelhaus

YES! Awesome, thank you chubs! Blacklisting the 'viafb' module does the trick, now my terminal stays up! I never would have thought a "graphics" module would cause an issue with command line stuff smile

I look forward to installing and getting Arch going on this machine!

#10 2013-03-20 13:46:19

chubs

Glad it worked for you -- I still haven't found a way to get viafb working properly, so I'm just not using a framebuffer (kind of annoying!)

If that's all you need, please mark the thread as SOLVED.

#11 2013-03-20 16:59:22

apsabelhaus

Done! Thanks again smile Let me know if you find a solution to the framebuffer issue. As of now, I'm going to try and see if I can get at least one driver for X working (sighh...)

Board footer