You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-11 09:22:57

nightfrost

osx86 applications running under linux?

I was thinking. Now that Mac's move to OS X for x86 is happening, and since OS X is *nix based, would that mean that applications compiled for OS X x86 would actually run on linux, with or without tweaking?

I'm just curious about this, and I know very little about OS X, so I'm probably dead wrong here. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if OS X is not so much *nix based as it is "loosely *nix inspired'". But like I said; I've no clue smile

#2 2005-11-11 12:17:16

sweiss

Re: osx86 applications running under linux?

As far as I know OS X is based on a BSD variant called Darwin, but it's only based on it. It's not the same operating system I believe. For running OS X applications you'd probably need the Cocoa toolkit anyway, which isn't open.

#3 2005-11-12 18:25:46

syamajala
Website

i don't think its possible without tons of tweaking, because i myself have tried to run command line apps from os x on darwin and they don't work. Something like wine would probably be needed.

#4 2005-11-12 20:03:04

Nattydraddy

But Wine runs only Win95/98 application. Lindows Now Linspire wnted  to evaluate Wine to run Windows 2000/XP application on Linux but it didn´t work and Microsoft forbid them even the name Lindows. Will be the same with Apple.

You mean "OS X is *nix based, would that mean that applications compiled for OS X x86 would actually run on linux".

But then you could also say that Windows is made as a superset of MS-DOS and MS-DOS is made as a subset of Unix. Hisorically is true, only MS don´t say as loud than Apple (and FreeBSD) stress that OSX is like Unix.

And FreeBSD is only a part of OSX. The Kernel is based on Mach. March is an open-source microkernel and Linux (and the kernel of FreeBSD) is a monolitic kernel.

On top of FreeBSD is at OSX Carbon for compatility with the old Mac OS, , and Cacoa. Cacoa is based on OpenStep that came from Next and Sun. GNUStep is also based on OpenStep GNUStep and Cacoa are to different to be compatible. And GNUStep is rarely used on GNU/Linux.

But someday we´ll (maybe) have GNU. Thats an OS with Hurd, also a microkernel the same GNU Libaries as on Linux and GNUStep. At that time it will makes sence to build an emulator for Mac OSX Apps.

#5 2005-11-12 20:05:46

Gullible Jones

Mach, not March. Darwin runs on top of Mach.

#6 2005-11-14 01:14:17

nightfrost

I've been playing around a little with osx86 now. I've never used mac os x before, but all I can say is wow! First off, as a linux user, I'm pretty comfortable with OS X having a shell, one can even run nano to edit files smile

When it comes to the desktop feel and usage, it's really awesome. I've been somewhat following the debate concerning opengl accelerated desktop environments/window managers, and after this I can really say opengl brings some neat stuff to the picture. The whole exposé thing is fantastic (for those who don't know what it is, it basically uses opengl to give you a better overview over your desktop).

I'm pretty sure Apple won't allow non-apple PCs to run OS X, but if they (against all odds) would do that, Microsoft would probably meet a very imminent threat.

#7 2005-11-14 02:21:43

syamajala
Website

if that did happen maybe windows would get ported to ppc ;-p

#8 2005-11-14 02:44:21

Cam
Website

syamajala wrote:

if that did happen maybe windows would get ported to ppc ;-p

Heh nah, once Apple drops PPC is there anything left to run on it? I know people will still use OS X and all variants of existing OSes on their "old" PPC machines but does another OS use it as it's primary arch or will it slowly start to die out?

#9 2005-11-14 03:05:44

syamajala
Website

well there is morphos, besides i think ppc is really starting to open up now that apple is switching. my next desktop may just as well be a dual core ppc based nonapple system.

#10 2005-11-14 15:08:43

Nattydraddy

Cam wrote:

Heh nah, once Apple drops PPC is there anything left to run on it? I know people will still use OS X and all variants of existing OSes on their "old" PPC machines but does another OS use it as it's primary arch or will it slowly start to die out?

IBM makes lots of computer withh ppc. Although that are all servers, they spend millons of dollars to port linux to PPC. And ´cause it´s open source, there is a good change that you oneday can muy PPC stuff like you nowadays buy x86 stuff. In a year comes an PPC out with 2 kernelss, low poerconsumtion and so on. As nowadays many people buy VIA Prozessor/Mainboards for their HTPC you can maybe buy in 2008 an PPC with a mainboard, excange it against you x86 stuff and have a fast and silent computer. Who knows?

#11 2005-11-15 09:21:37

jondkent

I dunno.  My better half has an iBook with OSX and I've tried to like it, honest, but yuk!!  Why do I have to reboot when I install system software, that drove me nuts at the weekend, this is UNIX!!!

Hate the way it doesn't use flat files for passwords, groups etc but has a DB for this.  Why, its not quicker?  And the inconsistances with apps is horrible, some close when you kill the windows, other don't.  Some you kill from the application menu, some you kill from the launch icon, whats that about?

So, in a nutshell, from a weekend hacking about with it, getting Darwin ports working (fairly easy) I won't be going back.  I kept wanting a proper UNIX system, one that didn't feel like Windows (it did after a while, dunno why).

OSX apps, they can keep 'em

Jon

#12 2005-11-15 21:47:00

jondkent

owzleee,

Just to confirm I am using Panther, so Tiger is better?  Maybe I'll give that a try.  If it still rubbish IMHO then I'll have to give to you aggro again  big_smile

Laterz

#13 2005-11-15 22:03:34

nightfrost

In my opinion, Linux has the best structure when it comes to most things dealing with OS and what's under the hood. But this is nothing controversial; virtually anyone who's got some knowledge about how linux works would agree to that. There are of course differences across distros as well. I for one (like most of us here, I guess), love the use of rc.conf with its daemon array. I hate how debian handles the daemons. And there's a bunch of other things, and when it comes to working with the actual system, linux is my cup of tea.

However, I was immensely impressed with OS X's gui; it's speedy to start with, and they've managed to use opengl to make the desktop very useful. Like I said; the F9-F12 functions (exposé) is truly invaluable for a guy like me. And it looks neat to.

(I'm really stressed out right now, as I have several verses of one of Pindar's ode to translate till tomorrow for class; so if I'm not making sense, just don't pay attention for now smile)

Board footer