You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-06 14:45:54

Matty265

Possible to stream HDMI Input into a desktop window?

Hey,
i had the idea to stream the output of my Windows 7 Box (DVI or HDMI) into a desktop window on my Arch Linux box (much like a VM, but with a real machine). Is this possible with a capture card? I want to bypass the latency of vnc and such, but i dont want to record the output. Is there a software/hardware solution for this?

greetings

#2 2013-03-06 15:28:04

Awebb

Re: Possible to stream HDMI Input into a desktop window?

There are capture cards with HDMI, there is software to grab the output of a capture card directly, so I don't see why this should not work. On the other hand: RDP on Win7 is pretty performant. But I really like your idea.

EDIT: I'm not sure now. You can either have a capture card, that'll tear an i5 apart at 1080p for 50-150 currency units, or you can buy a card that encodes the stream by itself for 150+ gold coins. The latter will probably not have usable Linux drivers. I'd rather spend some more cash and get a managed switch, that'll transport the video over the network. We had such things in the lab I worked at, pure gold.

Last edited by Awebb (2013-03-06 15:35:06)

#3 2013-03-06 16:01:35

Matty265

I use my Windows machine primarily for gaming, which solution do you think will be the most suitable ? I think network solutions will be way too laggy

#4 2013-03-06 16:12:01

ewaller
Administrator

The real problem is going to have to do with DRM.  Does the HDMI output contain HDPC video?  If so, it is pretty certain that the Microsoft box is not going to trust your capture device not to allow the video to be "Stolen" copied in violation of the copyright.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2013-03-06 16:18:32

Matty265

I planned to use an dvi-hdmi adapter because my graphicscard has a dvi out.  But with an hdmi input on the capture card I could use the Xbox the same way too

#6 2013-05-09 14:22:39

zajca

Hi have you any progress with HDMI input? I have Aver3D CaptureHD with HDMI input and DVB-T tuner and non of them is working. Only device with hdmi input supported with linux is Intensity http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/ but little bit more expensive.

I need this for show HDMI input on the screen and I also need DVB-T, but with this Aver card is not working at all sad

Does anyone have idea how to do it?

Aver is disappointing:
lspci

03:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Device 1a0a:6202 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Avermedia Technologies Inc Device 6205
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
        Memory at f2200000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32K]
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [78] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [80] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel

#7 2014-08-21 03:08:47

colinkeenan
Website

I have been researching doing something similar. I just want to watch the output of my Google Fiber TV Box in a window on my Xfce desktop on my TV instead of directly on the TV. I also don't care about recording. I haven't actually purchased anything yet, but the following seems to be the cheapest solution although I don't know if it will work. I'm not sure I will buy it myself. First of all, I would guess the Google TV Box HDMI output is copy protected with HDPC. It turns out a lot of cheap hdmi splitters have a side effect of stripping the copy protection though. I am already using some cheap splitters, but if they don't work, the following is reported to work: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9 … UTF8&psc=1.

Next, to playback after stripping the copy protection, the cheapest solution I found that simply takes the hdmi input including multichannel embedded sound (without all the analogue stuff I don't need) is the Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Recorder: http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design … i+Recorder

It seems that even though I don't care about recording, a recorder is all that's available. It can be used just for playback though. For recording, you'd need an array of hard drives so extra expense - glad that's not what I'm trying to do.

For the software to view it on Arch Linux: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/decklink/

#8 2014-08-21 03:18:45

headkase

Ages ago I tried to hook up a console to my PC Hauppauge TV tuner card for much the same reason: so I could have it in a window or full screen in my OS.  What I found, at that time, was that latency was horrible.  I would literally press left on the controller and then half a second later I would see the output on my PC.  Obviously unworkable, perhaps the situation has improved since.  Another thing to consider is that you will need both PCs to be in close proximity to each other and will have to juggle two sets of mice/keybordi.

Last edited by headkase (2014-08-21 03:21:26)

Board footer