You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-04 19:06:35

Labus

[Solved]Youtube issue

It's been a long time since i posted a question here, I've managed to resolve my issues without to much trouble.
But now I'm stumped.

For a while now, youtube videos end too early and randomly.
The end screen shows up and everything seems like it would when a video ends. But it just shows up before the real end.

This can happen at any point in the video, and if it happens again in the same video after i reload the page it's not at the same place in the video.
It does not happen on every video and it's not on any particular videos.

I've dealt with this problem for perhaps a month now, and the only patters I've found is that it seems to happen more often when the resolution is higher and when the video is longer, but that might just be because that just gives it more time to happen in.

I've tried different flash versions. Different versions of pepperflash and different browsers with different extensions. And turning of and on hardware acceleration. But to no avail.

And I haven't found anyone that seemed to have the same problem, even after several googling sessions.
Some people seem to have the videos end a few seconds too early on every video they watched. But their issues was fixed by clearing the cache.

So know I turn to more knowledgeable people than me and hope that someone have any ideas.

So, any ideas?

Last edited by Labus (2013-04-13 22:39:57)

#2 2013-03-06 09:40:02

Labus

Re: [Solved]Youtube issue

No one?
Well, I'm doing a complete reinstall of my system in about a month when I buy a SSD. Maybe it'll go away then.
Because I'm all out if ideas.

#3 2013-03-06 09:43:14

skanky

What happens if you use youtube-dl and watch it from your filesystem?

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#4 2013-03-06 09:57:49

Labus

I'll try to watch all videos that way for a while to see if the problem appears.
But my guess is that it will not. Because as far as I can tell HTML5 videos do not have the issue, so I assume it's flash related.

#5 2013-03-06 10:00:55

skanky

Labus wrote:

I'll try to watch all videos that way for a while to see if the problem appears.
But my guess is that it will not. Because as far as I can tell HTML5 videos do not have the issue, so I assume it's flash related.

It might do then as you won't need to use flash to watch them. It's a workaround at least.

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#6 2013-03-06 10:21:43

Labus

Yeah, it is. But it's too troublesome of a workaround to be preferred over just reloading the page and resume watching at the time where it cut out.
But I've tried it now for some videos and it seems that the problem doesn't happen.
So at least I'm now pretty sure it's a flash issue.
I'm going to try a different desktop environment now to see if it makes any difference.

#7 2013-03-06 10:36:01

Labus

Yup, it happens in awesome as well. (I'm currently using KDE as my main).
So it doesn't seem to be related to desktop effects or anything like that.

#8 2013-03-06 16:18:20

anonymous_user

Do you have access to Windows or a Linux live cd and see if it happens there?

#9 2013-03-06 17:46:21

Labus

I had a Ubuntu live cd laying around.
After a couple of videos it seems to work fine.
So it's something with my installation.
I did do a reinstall a while ago where I installed and started using the entirety of the KDE packages. So it might be something with that installation or KDE. But I don't think that the issues appeared until a few weeks after that.
Since the problem still exists in other desktop environments it might in that case be something that KDE did/installed, and not with KDE itself.
Oh I don't know, grasping after straws here.

#10 2013-03-06 17:58:55

anonymous_user

Try creating a new user and see if it still happens.

#11 2013-03-06 19:50:12

Labus

anonymous_user wrote:

Try creating a new user and see if it still happens.

Still happens, was fine for two decently long videos and I got hopeful.
Then it struck.

An issue that appears to be as random as this is not easy to test fixes with.

#12 2013-03-06 22:18:32

skanky

IIRC there are two sets of settings for flash, the ones when you right click and some that are on the adobe website. It might be worth playing with those - esp. if there are any buffering ones.
Really can't think of anything else.

#13 2013-03-07 13:50:05

Labus

I'm not yet a 100% sure. But in the flash settings not allow youtube to store any data on my computer may have worked.
I've tried to put it to unlimited before but never tried the other way around.
I also noticed that it always said that youtube currently was using 2Kb. So perhaps there was something wrong with those 2Kb that now got deleted.
Because I've always used to have that setting on, it's default at allowing 100Kb of local storage.

If, after a few days just to be sure, the problem don't appear. I'll mark this as solved.
Thanks everyone, I'd probably not have figured this out by myself.

Last edited by Labus (2013-03-07 13:50:59)

#14 2013-03-07 23:05:31

Labus

Nope!
It's back now.
Almost went a day without issues, the suddenly it started happening frequently again.
The only thing I can think of is that steam wasn't running most of the time when things worked fine. But I can't say for certain that the issue appeared after or before I started steam.
Will do some testing on that tomorrow.

#15 2013-03-08 09:31:37

Labus

No, the first and only thing i started after a reboot was chromium. Still happens.

#16 2013-03-08 21:06:18

skanky

Just in case, here's the global settings dialog: http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum … ger03.html

#17 2013-03-13 20:13:26

Labus

I've done the reinstall to a SSD now. And as far as I can tell the problem went away, when I was using Gnome. But when I decided that it wasn't really for me (although it was certainly interesting) and installed KDE again, it appeared again before long.
So my assumption is that there is something in what the kde-meta package installs that just don't cooperate well with my system.
So if this assumption is true, the problem don't lie with using kde, since the problem are still there when using other desktop environments, but with something that kde installs.
I will further test this by removing kde-meta and it's dependencies and try something else for a while.

On the other hand I have a theory that is that the problem only occurs when my internet connection is strained. The first time it appeared on this installation was when (using KDE) I was downloading TF2 on steam and where watching a 3 hour long 1080p youtube video.
Which is plausible since my earlier observations shows that the problem is likelier to appear when a video is longer/higher resolution.

I'll try to see if I get anywhere on those theories (it may be both), but once again: Any ideas?

#18 2013-03-13 20:42:07

drcouzelis
Website

Sure, I'll try.

Is it related to advertisements? Do you have Adblock Plus installed? Does YouTube work if you enable it or disable it?

Does this problem having on streaming video sites other than YouTube? I think I've seen something similar happen on other sites, and I know what you mean by it seeming to happen when the network gets bogged down. It seems kind of related and kind of not.

Anyway, I personally don't have Flash installed anymore. I download everything using "youtube-dl" (I can still watch the video as it downloads) or watch it using HTML5 video. I use Adblock Plus globally. I didn't even know YouTube had advertisements until somebody mentioned it to me. tongue

#19 2013-03-13 20:52:35

Labus

No, it's not ad-related. Used to have another issue with ads, and used adblocker just on youtube because of that. But now I don't use it at all, but I tried it to see if it was ad-related but no, it still appeared.
And I don't know if it's a specific youtube issue, it's all I use. But I will try some other sites to test it.

And now i tried to remove KDE (with pacman -Rns kde-meta) and use Lxdm to see if anything changed. But no luck.

#20 2013-03-14 12:21:12

Labus

Now I'm sure it's not KDE related. Whiped the SSD and made an new install with awesome/slim. Didn't even touch anything KDE.

And I've found that downloading the videos with youtube-dl don't work either, the download stops with an error. Suspiciously similar to the problem with viewing them directly on youtube. So it might not even be flash related?

This is starting to be really confusing now.

#21 2013-03-14 12:43:42

skanky

What's the error?

#22 2013-03-14 13:28:18

Labus

ERROR: content too short (expected 2426335581 bytes and served 34263013) 

And when doing the same command again it starts where it left off and after a little while shows the same error again, with a different amount of served bytes.

#23 2013-03-14 13:34:29

skanky

Does your ISP do any throttling?
Does your network card drop connections every now and then? It might be more noticeable on something like watching long videos than normal browsing.
Can you download a large file (say a distro iso) without any issues - you may need to make sure that the download software doesn't handle breaks cleanly.
Can you stream a radio for a while?

All things that may indicate a point of failure.

#24 2013-03-14 13:37:37

drcouzelis
Website

OK, I got a new idea!

Is the problem your Internet service provider?

I recently read about ISPs doing funny things with YouTube IP addresses, because SOOO much bandwidth is used daily by people going to YouTube. You can read about it here and here.

Is there any way for you to test your computer on another ISP?

Also, the "youtube-dl" application has support for resuming downloads. When your download fails, can you run the command again and get the download to download to 100%?

#25 2013-03-14 14:03:39

Labus

drcouzelis wrote:

OK, I got a new idea!

Is the problem your Internet service provider?

I recently read about ISPs doing funny things with YouTube IP addresses, because SOOO much bandwidth is used daily by people going to YouTube. You can read about it here and here.

Is there any way for you to test your computer on another ISP?

Also, the "youtube-dl" application has support for resuming downloads. When your download fails, can you run the command again and get the download to download to 100%?

I'll try what those links suggest and see what happens.
Yeah, I can download 100% but that would take running the command repeatedly every 30-60 seconds or so.

skanky wrote:

Does your ISP do any throttling?
Does your network card drop connections every now and then? It might be more noticeable on something like watching long videos than normal browsing.
Can you download a large file (say a distro iso) without any issues - you may need to make sure that the download software doesn't handle breaks cleanly.
Can you stream a radio for a while?

All things that may indicate a point of failure.

No, I don't think that's it. I have a stable 100Mbit/s connection, wired.
Downloading large files and streaming is also fine as far as I can tell.

Board footer