:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 alacarte-xfce : Orphan 
 Foreign packages: / 49 / 49

Alacarte-xfce is highlighted in red

I have re-installed it multiple times, refreshing yaourt in between, lots of things. I have searched the interwebs and found nothing.

Why am I getting this, I thought orphaned packages were ones that I didn't mean to install and are no longer needed.
note: Originally I wouldn't have installed alacarte myself, it would have come in an XFCE bundle.

Any advice on if this is normal/how to disable or how to correct would be appreciated.

(I have used GNU/Linux for a year, Arch for a few months, so I'm a little bit noobish ;P )

Last edited by Fallon911 (2013-03-08 21:10:10)

#2 2013-03-08 15:48:30

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Yaourt says that alacarte-xfce is an orphan

If you insist on using yaourt, at least learn what its output means.

yaourt is telling you that alacarte-xfce is an AUR orphan i.e. nobody is maintaining it.

And please remove pacman from the thread title, this has nothing to do with pacman.

#3 2013-03-08 18:05:36

Fallon911

I realise there are alternatives to yaourt, but yaourt is the one I have found to work best for me... why is it bad that I use it (or do you just mean general software that manages packages from the AUR)
Thanks for the reply, from (mis)reading descriptions and the manual, I thought that orphan meant it was not needed by other packages, in fact I'm sure I read  just that somewhere on the arch forum... oh well.

#4 2013-03-08 18:44:53

tomk
Forum Fellow

There are two kinds of orphan: the one you thought you had, and the one you actually have.

Apart from explaining that to you, I was trying to impress on you the importance of familiarising yourself with the tools that you decide to use, yaourt in this case. In other words, read whatever documentation is provided with it, so that you don't jump to erroneous conclusions as you did here.

N.B. I don't use it, so obviously I've no idea what documentation (if any) exists.

#5 2013-03-08 19:14:19

WonderWoofy

Learning to install AUR packaged by hand is a very good thing to learn.  Though, AUR helpers can be convenient, they often keep users from fully understanding what is happening, and like most things with Arch, a lack of understanding can lead to breakage far beyond what Allan can accomplish.

I like cower because it searches fast, and does nothing more than download the tarball and unpack it in my directory of choice.  I also keep pacaur on my machine for those times when I am feeling really really lazy.

#6 2013-03-08 21:09:38

Fallon911

WonderWoofy wrote:

Learning to install AUR packaged by hand is a very good thing to learn.  Though, AUR helpers can be convenient, they often keep users from fully understanding what is happening, and like most things with Arch, a lack of understanding can lead to breakage far beyond what Allan can accomplish.

I like cower because it searches fast, and does nothing more than download the tarball and unpack it in my directory of choice.  I also keep pacaur on my machine for those times when I am feeling really really lazy.

I am fully capable of downloading and installing by hand actually tongue

I just like to use it so that I know I'm up to date wit hinstaled software

#7 2013-03-08 22:13:43

WonderWoofy

Okay well then its all good. You were asking why it is bad to use an AUR helper, and the answer is it is not that black and white. It is bad if you use something like yaourt because you don't know how to do it otherwise, since you have no idea what is even happening if/when something goes wrong.

#8 2013-03-09 01:29:01

Awebb

tomk wrote:

orphan … familiarising

Language can be sooooo cute.

Board footer