You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-08 22:56:55

cfr

syslog-ng config following update

I just updated the system and ran into 2 problems. The first involved the vim colour pack conflict so I updated passing the --ignore flag to pacman. I can't believe anything else is related to this but mention it just for completeness.

The other is only a "problem" because I don't know how to respond to it. /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng was moved to a *.pacsave. Nothing weird about that but there is no longer a syslog-ng in that directory at all. I'm not sure if this means I no longer need to change the default configuration or if it means that I need to configure syslog-ng somewhere else.

I've looked in /etc/syslog-ng and I cannot tell for sure if anything there has been changed but the timestamps on the files suggest not and that the last change was to syslog-ng.conf a little less than a month ago. Since today's update is from 3.4.1-1 to 3.4.1-2 and the versions given in those files are just given as e.g. 3.3 or 3.4, I'm not sure about this.

The previous contents of /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng on my system was:

#
# /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng
#

# passed to syslog-ng on config check
SYSLOG_NG_CHECKOPTS=(-f /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.initscripts)

# passed to syslog-ng at startup
SYSLOG_NG_OPTS=(-f /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.initscripts)

That seems odd since I'm using systemd but if it is my configuration mistake it seems a rather lucky chance that an update would fix it for me.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

#2 2013-03-08 23:31:38

WonderWoofy

Re: syslog-ng config following update

I imagine that this has to do with the deprecation of /etc/conf.d as well as Arch's choice to no longer continue to support initscripts.  Those variables were sourced and used in /etc/rc.d which is also absent from this package.  So I assume that any modifications you require will have to be done by changing the service files. 

Of course, you could keep /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng, source it in your modified service file and then add those variables to the relevant Exec* lines (so that it is similar to how rc.d was using it), though I think that it is probably better to follow the native systemd method and simply copy the service to /etc and then edit the lines in question.

Edit: In systemd 198, there is a new feature which allows you to substitute your own portions of configuration for what is in the shipped service.  It is handled in /etc/systemd/system/<foobar.service>.d/ .  It should be a pretty darn handy feature, as I have a few services that could benefit from that.  Lennart Poettering actually just sent out an email announcement describing all the new features that systemd will offer, and there is quite a bit of cool stuff.  Tomegun actually had quite a few commits that will make it possible to have a "systemd" hook in mkinitcpio (or dracut if you prefer), which seems like a good logical progression.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-03-08 23:35:34)

#3 2013-03-09 00:34:58

cfr

Interesting. What benefits will the hook offer?

The thing is, I can't understand why I have that config in the first place and nothing on the syslog-ng wiki page gives me any clue either. To me, it looks like config for an initscrpts system so I'm not sure why I'm using it...

Also, I'm puzzled that this changed for a -1 to -2 release - presumably that's just packaging changes?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

#4 2013-03-09 01:55:40

anonymous_user

The syslog config file appears to be /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf. I don't know if /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng was a previous version but I don't have it.

#5 2013-03-09 02:53:40

WonderWoofy

anonymous_user wrote:

The syslog config file appears to be /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf. I don't know if /etc/conf.d/syslog-ng was a previous version but I don't have it.

Indeed there is an actual config file there.  I just figured since cfr was asking about the file in /etc/conf.d he was asking about that one specifically.

@cfr, this was indeed intended for initscripts, and why you were using it I have no idea.  I am not sure that the service file was even set up to actually source and use that before this update, so it may well have been doing absolutely nothing on your system.

Board footer