You are not logged in.

#101 2013-02-28 07:26:22

moetunes
Member
From: A comfortable couch
Registered: 2010-10-09
Posts: 1,019

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Tried
sudo make install clean
?


You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Offline

#102 2013-02-28 07:42:36

andmars
Member
Registered: 2012-03-13
Posts: 156

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

moetunes wrote:

Tried
sudo make install clean
?

yes, same error. The AUR version works though. But if there's a bug in the git version I'd just like to help and report it to the maintainer.

Offline

#103 2013-02-28 08:11:36

moetunes
Member
From: A comfortable couch
Registered: 2010-10-09
Posts: 1,019

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Yep you're right.
I had to run

make
sudo make install
make clean

in that order. I guess clean should come last in the Makefile as it doesn't go by the order on the command line.
edit: changing the order in the Makefile didn't help - killed a few minutes playing with it though wink

Last edited by moetunes (2013-02-28 08:25:42)


You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Offline

#104 2013-02-28 09:47:10

cippaciong
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 104
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

@bloom: bspwm is not loading settings from autostart anymore and there hasn't been noticeable changes lately. Do you know what could be the problem?

Offline

#105 2013-02-28 09:49:53

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

The following:

make clean install

will necessary fails since the clean target removes the binaries wink.

The install instructions are:

make
make install

Or simply:

owl install bspwm-git

gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#106 2013-02-28 09:55:54

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

cippaciong wrote:

bspwm is not loading settings from autostart anymore and there hasn't been noticeable changes lately. Do you know what could be the problem?

Yes: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31204.

I will fix this but in the meantime you can add the following to your ~/.profile:

export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-"$HOME/.config"}
export XDG_DATA_HOME=${XDG_DATA_HOME:-"$HOME/.local/share"}
export XDG_CACHE_HOME=${XDG_CACHE_HOME:-"$HOME/.cache"}

gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#107 2013-02-28 10:00:51

cippaciong
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 104
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:
cippaciong wrote:

bspwm is not loading settings from autostart anymore and there hasn't been noticeable changes lately. Do you know what could be the problem?

Yes: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31204.

I will fix this but in the meantime you can add the following to your ~/.profile:

export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-"$HOME/.config"}
export XDG_DATA_HOME=${XDG_DATA_HOME:-"$HOME/.local/share"}
export XDG_CACHE_HOME=${XDG_CACHE_HOME:-"$HOME/.cache"}

Worked perfectly! Once more, thank you.

Offline

#108 2013-03-02 11:16:53

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

moetunes wrote:

changing the order in the Makefile didn't help

Most of the times the following is used:

install: all

I can't do that because bspwm's Makefile has two build targets: all and debug.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#109 2013-03-02 11:23:37

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

The resize argument of the grab_pointer message is now called resize_corner.

There's a new argument called resize_side.

The *_tiled arguments are gone: the actions now take into account the tiled state of the window.

Example pointer bindings:

super + button{1,2,3}
    bspc grab_pointer {move,resize_side,resize_corner}

super + !button{1,2,3}
    bspc {track_pointer,track_pointer,track_pointer} %i %i

super + @button{1,2,3}
    bspc {ungrab_pointer,ungrab_pointer,ungrab_pointer}

gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#110 2013-03-02 18:43:19

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

findus28 wrote:

The new "focus_follows_pointer" setting works perfectly e.g. for multiple rxvt-unicode windows, but it behaves like the old "focus_follows_mouse" setting e.g. with a Thunderbird window and the corresponding address book.

It should be fixed.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#111 2013-03-02 20:04:43

moetunes
Member
From: A comfortable couch
Registered: 2010-10-09
Posts: 1,019

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:
moetunes wrote:

changing the order in the Makefile didn't help

Most of the times the following is used:

install: all

I can't do that because bspwm's Makefile has two build targets: all and debug.

I haven't bothered too much with makefiles at all, which is why I took the oppurtunity to have a bit of a play with yours, hope that's ok. The very simple format I use for my makefiles runs sudo make install clean ok, so i had a bit more of a play with yours and it seems with the @'s you have in front of most of your commands make moves on to clean without waiting for install to finish. I added the -v switch to the commands and a couple of extra echos to find that out.
If people want to install and clean with a one line command there's nothing wrong with doing sudo make install && make clean.

This is a nice window manager you've built.


You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Offline

#112 2013-03-03 11:48:07

Shinryuu
Member
From: 俺のコスモス
Registered: 2010-02-27
Posts: 338

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Holy heck tiling stuff around is sick with bspwm. Took a while to get used to it but I've modified settings pretty much like I had with monsterwm. I need to make a panel when I have "time" to.
taG44Yg

Offline

#113 2013-03-03 13:16:23

cippaciong
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 104
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Shinryuu wrote:

Holy heck tiling stuff around is sick with bspwm. Took a while to get used to it but I've modified settings pretty much like I had with monsterwm. I need to make a panel when I have "time" to.
http://ompldr.org/taG44Yg

Really a nice setup Shinryuu I'll share mine too. smile
Btw do you mind sharing your startpage?

taG00OQ taG00YQ

P.S. Since you mentioned monsterwm, I tried it yesterday for the first time on my netbook and I think it were your configs that I took from dosthare so thank you smile

Offline

#114 2013-03-03 13:54:37

Shinryuu
Member
From: 俺のコスモス
Registered: 2010-02-27
Posts: 338

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Heh, looks simple and nice. Indeed you can find my configurations from dotshare and no problem.

EDIT1. I use ok100's homepage.py script, you can grab it from here

I like the idea how I can send commands to bspwm like "bspc use_monitor Monitor01" etc. Not too long time ago I was wondering why things didn't work properly, it was because I had "sxhkd" instead of "sxhkd &" in my .xinitrc file. Even I'm used to keyboard only actions through different window managers I find mouse support really interesting because I can resize/move applications in a really interesting manner.

Last edited by Shinryuu (2013-03-03 14:09:56)

Offline

#115 2013-03-04 13:09:32

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Shinryuu wrote:

Holy heck tiling stuff around is sick with bspwm.

Thanks.

Shinryuu wrote:

I need to make a panel when I have "time" to.

If you're interested in window titles you might want to use xtitle (the example bar panel uses xdotool and will miss the modifications of the title that might occur when the active window remains the same).

Last edited by bloom (2013-03-04 13:22:09)


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#116 2013-03-04 13:15:04

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

The focus follows pointer feature moved to a branch (focus-follows-pointer).

More details here.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#117 2013-03-04 20:15:11

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

I changed my mind: the feature returned to master.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#118 2013-03-08 05:12:11

hellomynameisphil
Member
From: /home/phil/Vancouver
Registered: 2009-10-02
Posts: 257
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Would you ever consider adding an 'attach aside' option, such that new windows do not become the master?

Offline

#119 2013-03-09 10:48:12

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

hellomynameisphil wrote:

Would you ever consider adding an 'attach aside' option, such that new windows do not become the master?

There's no master/slave concept in bspwm.

However, something similar to attach aside could be achieved by making the automatic mode drive the manual mode through rotations of the split direction.

Last edited by bloom (2013-03-09 11:38:48)


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#120 2013-03-09 11:30:31

cippaciong
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 104
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Have you ever considered the idea to implement your focus_on_run script in bspwm?
I think it provides a nice and handy feature wink

Offline

#121 2013-03-10 17:42:14

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

cippaciong wrote:

Have you ever considered the idea to implement your focus_on_run script in bspwm?

The problem is that there's no simple expression for what focus_or_run does. And if there was, it would be a potential sxhkd feature.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#122 2013-03-11 21:27:44

cippaciong
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 104
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:
cippaciong wrote:

Have you ever considered the idea to implement your focus_on_run script in bspwm?

The problem is that there's no simple expression for what focus_or_run does. And if there was, it would be a potential sxhkd feature.

Mmm, maybe I simply misunderstood the purpose of focus_on_run, I was simply thinking about a feature like "Follow == true" in monsterwm that allows me, when launching a command with a keyboard shortcut assigned to a specific workspace, to automatically switch to that workspace having the new window focused.

Another thing I don't know how to get is: using your script for LemonBoy's bar, how can I put additional infos on the right side of the bar (the free part)? I'd like to put something like conky or simply your clock.c

Offline

#123 2013-03-12 10:20:00

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

cippaciong wrote:

I was simply thinking about a feature like "Follow == true" in monsterwm that allows me, when launching a command with a keyboard shortcut assigned to a specific workspace, to automatically switch to that workspace having the new window focused.

Implemented by b273b9. Just add the follow keyword to the related rules.

cippaciong wrote:

Another thing I don't know how to get is: using your script for LemonBoy's bar, how can I put additional infos on the right side of the bar (the free part)? I'd like to put something like conky or simply your clock.c

The text has to start with S. The following should work for clock:

clock 'S%H:%M' 5 > "$BSPWM_STATUS_FIFO"

Last edited by bloom (2013-03-12 10:21:59)


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#124 2013-03-12 13:11:47

cippaciong
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 104
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Thank you! I'll try both when I get home.

Offline

#125 2013-03-12 19:50:49

cippaciong
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 104
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:

Implemented by b273b9. Just add the follow keyword to the related rules.

Works smile

bloom wrote:

The text has to start with S. The following should work for clock:

clock 'S%H:%M' 5 > "$BSPWM_STATUS_FIFO"

Doesn't work sad taHFqeg

EDIT: I found another problem. If I run

bspc reload_autostart

then $BSPWM_STATUS_FIFO is doubled

MMonitor01:D_One:__Two:__Three:__Four:__Five:__Six:__Seven:__Eight:__Nine:__Ten:__Two:__Three:__Four:__Five:__Six:__Seven:__Eight:__Nine:__Ten:Ltiled:WE00003

I don't know if this can be avoided in some way hmm

Last edited by cippaciong (2013-03-12 20:13:29)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB