You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-14 14:10:34

czartj

webmin (or at least a config)

I have been using AL as a remote server (samba, ftp, mldonkey & http all running on old hardware in the basement) on my home network & it would be nice to tweak settings remotely, and webmin would be ideal tool for that job!  For now, does anybody have a webmin config for base AL to share?  Or at least know which of the many distros webmin is pre-configured match AL the closest?

#2 2004-01-14 22:51:18

contrasutra

Re: webmin (or at least a config)

Why not just use SSH?

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2004-01-15 12:52:36

Jagged

Install webmin from source (not too hard) and change the config yourself.  I did it once, took 10 minutes.  Not hard at all.

Nkawtg...n!

#4 2004-01-15 20:49:43

czartj

I did build/install webmin from source & adjust a few of the modules to work with AL, but to be complete would take days. If it only took you 10 min. you must have picked a distro that matched AL closely, what one did you use?

As for the 'Why not just use SSH?' comment, why walk when you can use a car!  When properly configured, webmin will allow you to adjust/tweak/control just about all the major packages out there from a web browser (ssl) from any machine, anywhere, at any time.

#5 2004-01-15 23:44:53

sarah31
Website

czartj wrote:

why walk when you can use a car!

because it is better for you to walk. i for one have to break my car dependency when im in my hometown because really there is not anyplace i cannot walk to. of course i need a car for grocery shopping (it is just to far to lug the bags) and laundry. but there is really no reason for me not to walk. it saves pointless wear on my car and is far better for my health.

ssh may not be all pretty but it does allow you to work from almost anywhere and tweak anything. my understanding is that ssh is also more secure.

all this aside there is no reason to get all bent out of shape about a package not being in the trees. simply come here state which package you want and why. if somebody tells you to use something else just politely tell them to go to hell smile

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-01-16 00:32:05

contrasutra

Im not saying there's anything wrong with webmin, I would like a package too. But if you're running all those servers, I assume you have the knowledge to do things through the CLI.

I looked into webmin one time, and I couldnt get it to work. I didnt spend too much time though.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#7 2004-01-16 22:32:05

czartj

If you have the time/energy/space, you should check out College Linux (http://linux.college.ch/) when installed it has webmin ready for use.  It would show you the power of that app.

And yes I have NO problem using the shell/scripts.  Webmin's best feature is that you don't have to know where/how a package is installed to configure/use it.  I would make life alot easier for all  AL users to get things rolling...

#8 2004-01-16 22:53:31

dp
Website

you all speak a lot, but does someone tried to make a arch-pkg? no? i will try ...

downloading ... hmm ... it's over 6MB!!! that is really big --- this must be a very usefull thing to have 6MB of source :-)

wait my progress ...

EDIT:
i'm sorry to have tried ... this is the probably uselessest install-method i ever have seen (in a way simmilar to windows-installers; not that linear, but it goes in this direction ...) --- and made in a really funny manner ... it is not at all easy building a arch-package for this, either you must know every detail of this webmin to pack it for arch, or you just run setup.sh as root and install it directly to your system at your own (someone have to tell the author about Makefiles wink ) --- the idea is a good one, the realisation not really (my personal opinion, nobody to blame; sorry, if you feel offended, didnt want to)

the other things:
have read something about it now and i must say: it lets CGI-scripts change your /etc/stuff? I would be afraid of this idea, but if you feel save...

if you like the idea of webmin, install it for yourself on your machine (download, untar, setup.sh as root will do it, as i overlooked setup.sh --- use slackware or gentoo as config and addapt the details ... this will be work for about 30' i think; but if you need it on several stations, 30' are nothing for using a car)

=> in my eyes we dont need a webmin, we need better docs for the "end-users" (in most cases:= us wink ) (i'm working on it --- "Survival Guide To ARCHlinux" is growing.. but i at the moment have not really time to work on it)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#9 2004-01-16 23:35:32

dp
Website

czartj wrote:

why walk when you can use a car!  When properly configured, webmin will allow you to adjust/tweak/control just about all the major packages out there from a web browser (ssl) from any machine, anywhere, at any time.

i really like your metaphor ... but let me answer in another one :-)

why use a car when you can fly ... if your network-connection to these machines is good enough, use remote X to have every tool you like

i personally prefer to use every way of transportation that is ethically, economically and envionementally actepcable by my thinking

webmin is a great idea not perfectly finished --- i wanted to help you building a package for arch, because i think if you install it as a package, you have one big advantage: pacman -R package will remove it whithout messing with your system --- a manual install will maybe mess alittle, because you loose overview where what file was placed to remove with hand --- that's primary why i dont want to try webmin on my arch

back to your question:
as i had seen quite every config seems simmilar to each other ... be sure not to take debian or redhat or suse, because they have their speicalities ... i would say, slackware is very simmilar to arch in configuring in that way (used it about 1y ago, switched to arch, because of pacman and makepkg)

#10 2004-01-17 21:02:52

andy

About the topic of configuring several machines in dp's earlier post : There you really better know the command line and then install http://www.garbled.net/clusterit.html (I really should make a package for it). You will love it.

At work I have a big screen, about 6 machines to manage and I fire up dvt (part of clusterit) and get a terminal for each machine (and all fit on that big screen without overlapping). Every command is executed on all the machines and I see simultaneous output for all machines. It is so easy to manage : changing fstab on all machines ? One (!) vi /etc/fstab and knowing how to handle your editor and all 6 machines have new NFS entries. I'm probably done with all machines before the webmin interface even comes up....

And then there is dsh which executes shell commands on all your machines - then you can almost as easy handle many more machines (which would fill way too many terminals), e.g. do "echo .... >> /etc/fstab ; mount ...." on something like 100 machines ....

all right :-) enough of that ... I'll behave now. :-)

#11 2004-01-17 21:35:43

dp
Website

just built clusterit ... it can be found in my TUR, in about 5minutes ... enjoy

( http://tur.berlios.de )

#12 2004-05-12 08:36:15

phunni

When trying to install webmin - it asks what Os you are using and (not surprisingly) arch Linux isn't an option

What is a good reply at this stage?

#13 2004-05-12 09:24:50

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I tried several ....

if you pick generic you can use it but .... some of the features ie Documentation do not...

It has to be set up (configured) to run with Arch....

As you say its on the list....which I for think it should

not that it helps you much

Mr Green

Mr Green

Board footer