You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-06 04:35:01

Invie

Archlinux Won't Boot With Or Without Installation Disk

At first my laptop started to turn on and off by itself. So I reseatted the ram to see if that was the problem. After a while, it started to tell me to put a disk or some "media device" inside of the computer to get it to run. I mounted my partitions and checked /etc/fstab to find that it was absolutely empty as though I had never genfstab'd in the first place.

I gen-fstab'd like one usually would when installing arch after mounting all partitions and swapon. While mounted, I also update the system, re-installed base base-devel and then restarted. I left the disk in for good measure to see if it would load that up, as without it that I couldn't access my bios. Now, I see a message that says

boot:

When I try to "Boot existing OS" off of the grub menu of the live CD. And hints or tips?

It also doesn't seem to be a hardware issue but a kernel one. Because when I type in "linux" in front of the colon it'll tell me that "linux" is not found. Also, if that were the case I doubt that I would be able to mount my partitions and find all of my files there still.

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.  ~Hans Christian Andersen

#2 2013-03-06 04:59:32

WonderWoofy

Re: Archlinux Won't Boot With Or Without Installation Disk

What kind of computer is it?  I used to get something similar on my macbook if I didn't make it either UEFI or bios only.  Either way worked, but I had to remove one of them, else this incredibly helpful message you see here is shown.

#3 2013-03-06 08:37:09

Invie

Acer Aspire 5742.

I tried re-installing Arch (clearing each drive completely after backing up files) and it didn't even fix the problem. I believe that it's a hard-drive issue, which I'm dreading.

Last edited by Invie (2013-03-06 08:40:01)

Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.  ~Hans Christian Andersen

#4 2013-03-09 16:49:22

aborigines

it isn't load grub
enter on boot : u will seen some word like "no kernel install"

if that right u should reinstall grub2

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ode_region

may be it is a bug ,  cause use grub2 with mbr
hope to help , try it.

iso desc.
Current Release: 2013.03.01
Included Kernel: 3.7.9
ISO Size: 501.0 MB

Last edited by aborigines (2013-03-09 16:51:52)

Board footer