You are not logged in.

#26 2013-03-09 18:42:53

mich41

Re: [SOLVED] No sound on new install, alsamixer can't find/adjust card

OK, screw X security. Install xorg-server-xnest and run:

Xnest :1 -ac -geometry 1024x768

This will launch a second X server rendering to a window in the first one, -ac stands for "disable access control" smile

Switch to root and run HDA Analyzer with DISPLAY set to :1 instead of :0. This must work.

#27 2013-03-09 19:30:16

rabarrett

ok, I'm game.

I installed it and ran it.

$ Xnest :l -ac -geometry 1024x768

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
     If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
     and start again.

I tried the same thing after booting to slim and dropping to console (instead of going into Awesome wm).  Same result.

#28 2013-03-09 20:18:41

mich41

:1 , not :l

#29 2013-03-09 20:40:29

rabarrett

Huh, I guess it's just how different fonts handle the characters, but I often mix those up because my L has the little bar at the top whereas my ONE has a 45 degree angle at the top.  I'd swear some people's Ls (like yours in the first code section) look exactly like my ONE.

Ok, with that solved, I must still be doing something wrong.
If I run it in a term window in Awesome wm, It opens a black window called "Xnest" that does nothing:  no output, no cursor, etc.  Just a black window that sits there.

The original term window that I ran the command in shows this:

]$ Xnest :1 -ac -geometry 1024x768
Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
Initializing built-in extension XTEST
Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
Initializing built-in extension SYNC
Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
Initializing built-in extension RENDER
Initializing built-in extension RANDR
Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
Initializing built-in extension RECORD
Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
Initializing built-in extension XVideo
Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/OTF/, removing from list!
[dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1/, removing from list

I also tried running it without Awesome loaded, but it wouldn't run at all there.

Also tried it without a term window (just as a command after mod-r button, but that didn't appear to run anyway).

It occurs to me that I didn't run the "export" commands, etc. from before.  I thought this got around the need for them, but maybe I"m wrong.  Should I try those?

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-03-09 20:43:10)

#30 2013-03-09 21:21:01

mich41

So it works. The window is empty because there are no applications running there yet. Every application started with DISPLAY=:1 will appear in Xnest. In another terminal:

su
export DISPLAY=:1
python run.py

#31 2013-03-09 21:52:25

rabarrett

Ok, I also had to use

export PATH=.:$PATH

But then it worked (in the Xnest window a gui applet ran that gives me the choice of a bunch of nodes and codec-1).

Going back to your earlier post (#14):
codec-0
checked:  out-dir 0; enable 0; unsol (nothing); sticky (nothing); wake (nothing); data 0

You can find the screenshots here:  http://postimage.org/gallery/bh7jbcgo/5df0c9a2/

I'm going to reboot now without LTS and provide the similar data.

Added:
Oddly, when I rebooted and checked alsamixer, it had two columns ("PCM" in addition to beep).  Speaker-test didn't work though.

For some reason, Xnest doesn't seem to be working in the normal kernel.

$ su -
# export DISPLAY=:1
# export PATH=.:$PATH
# Xnest :1 -ac -geometry 1024x768

and it just hangs there (solid cursor, no action).  Before I think it opened a new window with nothing in it called Xnest.

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-03-09 22:04:42)

#32 2013-03-09 22:33:19

mich41

If it was possible to run Xnest as root on your system, it would probably be also possible to run HDA Analyzer as root. Run it from normal account.

And don't set DISPLAY=:1 when starting Xnest, it seems that it hangs trying to connect to itself instead of the normal X server smile

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-09 22:35:15)

#33 2013-03-09 22:47:33

rabarrett

Yes, I got lost as to what I was supposed to do when.

It looks like I'm supposed to run Xnest from normal user first, then drop to root, export, and run the python script, right?

Now, when I try to run Xnest as a normal user, I get this:

$ Xnest :1 -ac -geometry 1024x768
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

#34 2013-03-09 22:56:24

mich41

Change :1 to :2 or :123, both here and in DISPLAY . Or killall -9 Xnest. Or reboot. It seems that this old locked-up Xnest is still lurking somewhere.

#35 2013-03-09 23:31:21

rabarrett

I'll be gone for a few hours, but will try it as soon as I get back.

I have rebooted several times, so that must not be it.

#36 2013-03-11 18:56:37

rabarrett

Ok, I also had to use

Xnest :2 -ac -geometry 1024x768

(even after rebooting), but that worked.

Now, without LTS, I get:
codec-0
checked:  out-dir 0; enable 0; unsol (nothing); sticky (nothing); wake (nothing); data 0

You can find the screenshots here:  http://postimage.org/gallery/qmyj7v8/0527462f/

As you anticipated in post #14, these are identical to the LTS kernel. However, you said that alsamixer would show only "Beep" column, but it also shows "PCM" (though the speaker test doesn't work and give an error).

Switching to 6stack:
Ok, without rebooting or closing my instance of Xnest (but with shutting down the run.py program) I changed the model:

$ sudo rmmod snd_hda_intel
$
$ sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel model=6stack

Now alsamixer shows 12 columns (master, headphone, front, front mic, surround, center, LFE side, line, beep, rear mic).

run.py shows:
codec-0
checked:  nothing
(I'm dispensing with screenshots, but could get them if it will help.)

Anticipating what you might suggest next...
I check the boxes that were checked in the previous cases above (and leave Xnest, run.py open). 
speaker-test works.  youtube.com video sounds work too.

Well, I suspect that gives you the solution, but it doesn't for me. 
(1) What should I do to change my non-LTS setup so that I always get sound in it at startup?
(2) Could you also please tell me what to undo from what we did above?  (I'm guessing at a minimum I need to remove the symbolic link above, but I'm a little concerned I might delete something real when trying to delete the link.  Also, should I uninstall anything we installed?)

Are we nearing the end?

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-03-11 19:13:00)

#37 2013-03-11 21:42:31

mich41

You can delete this symlink with just rm python, it won't touch the real python. And of course you can remove any packages you don't need.

Back to the bug, I'm not sure if there is any way to toggle this GPIO without HDA Analyzer. If you don't reboot often, simply use this smile
If you do reboot often, stick with LTS for now if it doesn't have any problems. Search wiki or google, there should be some way to edit GRUB2 config without breakage. Unfortunately, I can't help with this because I never used GRUB2.

BTW, this issue should be reported to ALSA developers. They will likely fix it; if not in 3.7 and 3.8 then maybe at least in 3.9.

1. Register at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/ , click "new" or "enter a new bug report", choose "drivers"
2. Select component "Sound(ALSA)", set kernel version to "3.7" and summary to "[hda-intel] Fixup required for ASUS z33 laptops"
3. Describe the situation:
- 3.0.67 works
- 3.7 doesn't see outputs without model=6stack
- 3.7 doesn't switch GPIOs with model=6stack
- 3.7 works with model=6stack and GPIO 0 enabled manually
4. Attach file generated by this script to your report.

They should know what's going on.

Last edited by mich41 (2013-03-11 21:44:11)

#38 2013-03-13 23:40:42

rabarrett

Done:  Kernel Bug Tracker – Bug 55191 Submitted

For anyone who wants to start booting to the LTS kernel from GRUB2 until the new kernel update is available:
(1) First, install the LTS kernel with pacman (as I did earlier in this post).  At this point, you can manually add the "-lts" as mich41 instructed me to each time you boot, but this isn't a good long-term option.
(2) Simply run the grub2 command that create a new menu (since you installed the LTS kernel, it's ready to add this entry, but you have to run the following command to update the GRUB2 menu:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Now it should be there (and be the new default option) the next time you boot.

(3) If for some reason that didn't work, you can manually add an entry by editing the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file.
For more information, go here:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … g_grub.cfg
and look under "Dual-booting" and "With GNU/Linux"

-----

I suppose I should set this to solved.

Thank you mich41!

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-03-14 00:31:01)

#39 2013-10-08 02:19:07

mrbrich

I was the poster of the original thread you referred to in your first post.  BTW, I didn't stop using arch, I just tried a different distro I had lying around to see if it worked.  And the laptop in question isn't my main laptop (on which I use arch exclusively), but and older one that could be useful for a kid.

Nice job tracking down this problem rabarrett and mich41.  The response to your bug report wasn't too encouraging, though:

Takashi Iwai wrote:

BIOS on your machine is utterly broken, and sets all the pin default configuration to 0, thus the driver has no way to know about pins.

So, are there any next steps, or is it game over?

#40 2013-10-08 02:56:50

WonderWoofy

Hmmm… I see that the "solution" was to use the LTS kernel.  Well, the LTS kernel in Arch is now 3.10 since 3.0 will be EOL very soon (already maybe?  I don't keep close watch of such things).  So I wonder if this means that sound has once again broken on these machines of yours?

Board footer