You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-10 03:00:23

Huugin

Failed to connect to lvmetad during grub installation

Hi

I have been trying to install Arch using the snapshot currently in downloads.  I have been using the beginners guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide , and have done the steps until the grub installation, for which

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

produces the error:

"Failed to connect to lvmetad: No such file or directory.  Falling back to internal scanning. "

I found this page, http://forum.archlinux-br.org/viewtopic.php?pid=27130  and tried installing device-mapper, but it has not solved the problem.

Pacman-S device-mapper linux lvm2

I also found, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=157997 , but cannot see how that is relevant as I'm using a more recent snapshot.

Don't know if it's relevant, but I accidentally ran

grub-install /dev/sda

before I noticed I noticed I should have run

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sda

Which I then ran later, but still to no avail.

Greatly appreciate any help

#2 2013-03-10 03:13:02

cfr

Re: Failed to connect to lvmetad during grub installation

What's your partition set up? Are you using lvm?

What is the contents of /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

Does the generation of the config file actually fail? All that message says is that it is falling back to an alternative method. That is consistent with it nonetheless succeeding.

Is grub.cfg generated? If so, post it.

Do you get the same error after installing lvm2? If so, what does echo $PATH give and what does ls /usr/sbin/lvmetad give?

I assume you are in the chroot when issuing these commands? Even so, Pacman-S will not work. You would need pacman -S. However, you shouldn't need to install lvm2 or device-mapper unless you are using them (and linux should already be installed!).

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2013-03-10 16:35:59

Huugin

Arhh, sry for a stupid post...my partion was not set up using LVM.  I must have made some mistake somewhere however, as the error didn't reoccur when I tried starting all over with the installation.

#4 2013-03-10 22:45:24

cfr

Please mark the thread [solved] by editing your original post and tagging the subject line.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer