You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-10 18:25:09

arobson73

backup an encrypted file or file to external media

Hi ,
i have a encrypted file on my desktop (arch linux) machine (30gig) in size which i want to backup to some other media. i have arch linux laptop also.
desktop machine has an ethernet connection to my wifi router, my laptop has built in wifi hardware.
how can i get the file from my desktop to my laptop ?

another option is to buy external hard drive that connects via usb. most of these hard drives say compatible with windows (ntfs formatted). will i need to reformat the external drive, just to copy files to it ?

andy

#2 2013-03-10 18:42:35

narrakan

Re: backup an encrypted file or file to external media

If you don't want to buy an external drive and don't care much about security (shouldn't be a problem anyway since the file is already encrypted), I think the easiest way is to use FTP.

Just install the FTP server on your laptop and make sure to enable upload capabilities from connected clients as stated in the Wiki. Then you can use an FTP client of your choice (like FileZilla) to connect your desktop machine to your laptop using its local IP address (generally 192.168.x.y) and you are good to go.

If you need additional security, just look up SFTP.

#3 2013-03-10 20:38:27

WonderWoofy

Rather than going through the process of setting up an FTP server or whatever, you could just use ssh (and scp), as I find that to be an amazing tool as it is.

But if you want really really simply, you could jsut use the SimpleHTTPServer that is included with python.

See here for how to do it.  It is like moron-proof simple, though not secure at all.

#4 2013-03-10 21:26:02

arobson73

thanks.
i quickly tried the python simple http server.
i can see the files in the directory, one of them is  readme file, and when i click the link it asks if i want to download it.
the other files are encrypted. when i click on their links it just fails (error 404 failed ot connect).
not sure if there is a way around that ? might try the FTP next or SSH.

#5 2013-03-10 21:59:18

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You could also try quickserve. If you generate a certificate then you can easily share files over an encrypted connection. Of course, it's mostly for ad-hoc sharing. If you need to regularly transfer the file then you should set up SSH. I wouldn't bother with an FTP server. scp should be enough to transfer a few simple files. Otherwise you can use sshfs which is very simple to use along with cp or rsync.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2013-03-11 00:59:42

arobson73

quickserve seems to work nicely if i do not use certs. i can also use it with https.
i can create the certs easily enough, and in firefox i can load the client.pem file.
just when i try to access the server it keeps saying 404.
maybe i need to read those links in more detail. nothing is ever quick and easy smile
might have been easier just to buy a external hard drive.

Board footer