You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-07 04:56:01

mkwasnicki

Permission Denied for alsasink in gstreamer-properties

For some reason all applications I have that use GStreamer for audio can't access the default sound device as a regular user.  The audio works fine when running the same applications as root.

Here is the error when testing with gstreamer-properties:
gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'ALSA — Advanced Linux Sound Architecture': Could not open audio device for playback. [gstalsasink.c(694): gst_alsasink_open (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAlsaSink:alsasink1:
Playback open error on device 'default': Permission denied]

I have tried searching for days trying to solve this one without any luck.  Any ideas?

#2 2013-03-11 02:53:02

mkwasnicki

Re: Permission Denied for alsasink in gstreamer-properties

Ok, since I haven't got any replies, I'll try to provide more information to see if it can help to understand the situation better.

Sound will work for me as a regular user with timidity++/rosegarden but GStreamer only seems to work as root.  The error seemed to happen around the same time as I was able to get the timidity++ service set up with working audio.

I've tried adding my user to the 'audio' group, but it doesn't seem to change anything.  Obviously there's some file/process/device that is not available to my user account, but I can't seem to figure out where that may be.

I guess if I can't figure out how to solve this one, I'll have to completely reinstall the operating system...  I really hate having to do that.

Board footer