You are not logged in.

#26 2013-03-10 19:39:49

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Allan's talk @ SINFO XX?

Scimmia wrote:

I just had to shake my head at the guy that said systemd was x86 only. I'm surprised that Allan didn't correct him on that, it's flat out untrue.

This is one of the reasons why I cringed during the Q&A. I think the combination of fatigue and accents lead to a few misunderstandings. It happens.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#27 2013-03-10 20:03:13

I am Gianluca

Great speech Allan. I found it tremendously useful, in particular the filesystem part was brilliant on shows ArchLinux approach.
Another thing that deserve mention is why ArchLinux tend to use vanilla packages instead of highly patched ones. Implications of that choice didn't come out to me when I read the Arch Way, but now I've understood the underneath reason and can't agree more.

Last but not less important, it was really nice to know how Arch Community works (Developers, Trusted Members, etc.). I was convinced Devs were more linked each others on doing their job on a daily basis. The same applied for the way strategic decisions are adopted (systemd example).
Regarding this particular point, I found (in some ways) a similarity on how Linux kernel is developed. In a 2012' speech hosted at Aalto Talk, Linus Torvalds explained how in reality there is a lack of strategy and organisation on how the kernel is developed, stressing how single users actively contribute on make it the good piece of code it is pushing the development on those areas where they are skilled and more concerned about.

I would suggest to put the video on the homepage, or create a dedicated section where collects similar speeches by ArchLinux main users.

Good job Allan.

Last edited by I am Gianluca (2013-03-10 20:06:59)

Laptop: Acer Aspire S3 | Linux Mint Cinnamon 64-bit

#28 2013-03-10 22:19:42

Allan
Pacman
Website

Scimmia wrote:

I just had to shake my head at the guy that said systemd was x86 only. I'm surprised that Allan didn't correct him on that, it's flat out untrue.

I could not understand that question very well from the front - it seems so much clearer in the audio...

#29 2013-03-10 22:30:57

skanky

Allan wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

I could not understand that question very well from the front - it seems so much clearer in the audio...

...and I had trouble understanding even on the audio.

Very good talk. Some insteresting stuff in there.

I like the idea of the /usr/lib and /etc changes. It'll also remove the need for many ~ based configs on single user systems.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#30 2013-03-11 01:34:59

Jristz

Good Job Allan...eh ... but you have a problem eh.... is tha you repeat uh.... many times the old er.... cliche

you prepare the presentation whit no anticipation or is anxiety and nerves ???

PD: at 0:05:55 is LXDM or LXDE??

Last edited by Jristz (2013-03-11 01:40:12)

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#31 2013-03-11 06:26:01

CrashLog

Nice talk!
It opened up some things I had been wondering about myself.

"There are no problems, only opportunities for solutions."

#32 2013-03-11 06:47:48

aboe

Nice Talk Allan, good work, Let's hope upstream uses archlinux more and more.

Maybe convince Linux to install archlinux on his pixel Chromebook, smile hehehe.

#33 2013-03-11 08:58:27

bergersau

Jristz wrote:

Good Job Allan...eh ... but you have a problem eh.... is tha you repeat uh.... many times the old er.... cliche

you prepare the presentation whit no anticipation or is anxiety and nerves ???

PD: at 0:05:55 is LXDM or LXDE??

I also think Alan did a good job.  Though I suspect that like many people he's not had extensive experience or training in public speaking.
It's not easy to get up in front of a room full of people and give a 1 hour plus talk.

Personally I found the AUR build tools and processes stuff of most value.

#34 2013-03-11 18:13:34

madeye
Website

Nicely done Allan,
For me, even though I've been using Arch linux for quite a while, some of the info was news to me as well smile

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

Board footer