You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-11 16:41:11

srs5694
Website

Recent changes to behavior of "New"

A few days ago, I noticed an annoying change to the way the "New" links (scattered about various places on most pages) work. Previously, these seem to have produced a list of all the unread posts. I could read them, click "New" again to see anything posted since I began, and then click "Mark all topics as read." When I returned to the forum, I'd repeat this, and I could be sure to see all the new posts.

Now, though, "New" seems to produce a list of topics since my last visit. This is more in keeping with the name of the link, but it's less useful, because there seems to be a short timeout on what constitutes a "visit." The result is that if I post a reply that takes a while to write, links to subsequent pages of the search stop working, so I have to click "Active" and guesstimate about what the last post was that I'd read. Each thread after that point is also affected, since the forum now seems to think that I've read everything.

This is all getting quite annoying, and I hope the forum moderators will switch it back to the way it worked before, or at least provide a new link (say, "Unread") that works the way the "New" link used to work. Thanks.

#2 2013-03-11 16:44:26

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Recent changes to behavior of "New"

srs5694 wrote:

...This is all getting quite annoying, and I hope the forum moderators will switch it back to the way it worked before....

For the record, that is not under the control of the moderators.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-03-12 23:23:20

srs5694
Website

Well, something has changed recently that's making the forum harder for me to use. I've made no recent changes to my Web browser, and even if I had, I find it hard to believe that would affect what pages get pulled up when I click a link on the forum.

#4 2013-03-13 00:10:58

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

What ewaller means is that the mods do not mess with the board settings. As is our general practice, we just run the vanilla FluxBB, so any changes you are experiencing are likely the result of a recent upgrade of FluxBB.

FWIW, I use the boards the same way you describe in your opening para and I haven't seen any change; my timeout seems to be around the 12 hour mark.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2013-03-13 00:48:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I was suspicious of something like this too - I wasn't sure if I was just imagining it until I read this thread.  Not all that useful, I know, but srs, it seems there was recently a change.

As above though, if we have concerns with this, we could raise them on the FluxBB boards and/or bugtracker.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-03-13 07:23:59

Awebb

The behavior has not changed for me in a long time. It must be a problem with short time-outs. I remember other threads and posts about this, scattered over the past year. I bet it's a time zone bug.

#7 2013-03-13 08:21:26

jakobcreutzfeldt

jasonwryan wrote:

my timeout seems to be around the 12 hour mark.

Seriously?? Mine is much shorter. I'd put it at around 20-30 minutes, maybe less. It tends to irritate me (a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, but you know what I mean).

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2013-03-13 08:21:57)

#8 2013-03-13 08:28:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Yep: if I don't log on early enough in the morning (approx 12 hours after last visiting the boards), then instead of 3-4 pages of items under New, I get half a dozen or so--which I am assuming indicates that my timeout has been reset as srs5694 and Tribly are experiencing.

FWIW, my timezone is set to UTC+12 with Daylight savings enabled.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2013-03-13 11:06:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Revision to my earlier comment: either it was a series of odd coincidences of the timing, I was imagining it, or they were isolated incidences - I am not seeing anything out of the "ordinary" anymore.  I hadn't brought it up before as I had only seen enough to start stratching my head, and I didn't really see a pattern.

Possibly something odd happened with FluxBB for a day or two, or more likely I hadn't had enough caffeine.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2013-03-13 11:15:49

jakobcreutzfeldt

jasonwryan wrote:

Yep: if I don't log on early enough in the morning (approx 12 hours after last visiting the boards), then instead of 3-4 pages of items under New, I get half a dozen or so--which I am assuming indicates that my timeout has been reset as srs5694 and Tribly are experiencing.

FWIW, my timezone is set to UTC+12 with Daylight savings enabled.

Sorry, I think I misread the original post and interpreted "timeout" to mean the login session expiring after 30 minutes. Based on the way you're using it, I think we're talking about different things. For me, as long as I keep my session active, "New" acts as I expect: it has all threads containing posts that I have not read. If my session expires and I log back in, "New" contains only those threads that have new posts since the session expired. If the session expires while I was on, say, page 2 of the previous "New" list, then when I log back in the page does not exist, since the current "New" list is only one page long. Perhaps that's what the original post was about? I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what he meant.

(btw UTC+1 w/  daylight savings)

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2013-03-13 12:09:24)

#11 2013-05-19 01:11:35

cfr

I don't have to be logged out to see this. A somebody earlier said, it can happen while I'm writing a post. But the behaviour is not consistent at all. Sometimes hours, sometimes a few minutes.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer