You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-13 12:23:35

lseubert

[wiki] Any interest in list of Wayland compatible WM/DEs?

How worthwhile would a wiki page of Wayland/Weston compatbile window managers and desktop wenvironments be? Is anybody interested in such a thing?

In returning to Arch Linux after a several year hiatus, I am going through the process of choosing a new WM/DE, most likely one from Extra or Community. One of my selection criteria for sake of future proofing is a viable upgrade path to Wayland/Weston. I don't want to change my GUI again, so I want something that will likely be running on Wayland five years from now. While few WM/DEs run Wayland right now, some are actively porting over, while others are wait-and-see.

In the course of researching this, the thought occurred to me that others might be interested in a Wiki page listing all the Arch WMs and DEs, and whether or not they are Wayland capable.

So please let me know if you would find such a wiki page to be of use, and I will start putting it together. If not, speak up about that as well and I won't waste the time.

"To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic."
    -- Albert Schweitzer

#2 2013-03-13 12:40:52

anarchia

Re: [wiki] Any interest in list of Wayland compatible WM/DEs?

I've been assuming Wayland is just the way everything is going to end up. Does anybody think it might just stay fringe or that there'll be other things that become more dominant? Assuming Wayland will become the default, I would think a wiki page on WMs and environments is a must.

#3 2013-03-13 13:02:25

tomk
Forum Fellow

One of my alltime favourite lines in the wiki wrote:

Arch Linux users have a tendency to solve problems themselves and generously share the results with the community and development team – a "do first, then ask" philosophy.

Or as Nike would say, "Just Do it".

If you think it should be in the wiki, put it in the wiki. Doesn't need a separate page though, just add it to the existing Wayland page.

#4 2013-03-13 13:27:03

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

GNOME is looking at Wayland support, and may be partially supported by Autumn, hoping to be fully supported by Spring 2014.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … px=MTMyNjQ

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2013-03-13 13:41:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I would love to see some simple/lightweight WMs written for wayland to help me learn what I'd need to (potentially / eventually) port ttwm to wayland if this transition is inevitable.

Alternatively a guide to the wayland API, like Christophe Tronche's guide is for Xlib, would be great.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-03-13 14:08:30

lseubert

anarchia wrote:

I've been assuming Wayland is just the way everything is going to end up. Does anybody think it might just stay fringe or that there'll be other things that become more dominant? Assuming Wayland will become the default, I would think a wiki page on WMs and environments is a must.

Wayland may or may not be the way everything ends up. Likely it will be, but X will be around for quite a long time and Wayland development and adoption has been slow. That said, five years from now, Wayland will likely be fairly common. Some DE/WMs are getting ready for the future, and others are not.

"To the question whether I am a pessimist or an optimist, I answer that my knowledge is pessimistic, but my willing and hoping are optimistic."
    -- Albert Schweitzer

#7 2013-03-13 14:14:21

lseubert

Trilby wrote:

I would love to see some simple/lightweight WMs written for wayland to help me learn what I'd need to (potentially / eventually) port ttwm to wayland if this transition is inevitable.

Alternatively a guide to the wayland API, like Christophe Tronche's guide is for Xlib, would be great.

Trilby, take a look at the following links about ADWC, a tiling window manager for Wayland:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … px=MTA5MTA
https://github.com/detomastah/adwc

-- Albert Schweitzer

#8 2013-03-13 14:17:03

lseubert

tomk wrote:
One of my alltime favourite lines in the wiki wrote:

Arch Linux users have a tendency to solve problems themselves and generously share the results with the community and development team – a "do first, then ask" philosophy.

Or as Nike would say, "Just Do it".

If you think it should be in the wiki, put it in the wiki. Doesn't need a separate page though, just add it to the existing Wayland page.

Thanks for the tip. It makes more sense to edit that page than to start a new one. Suggestions like this are why I posted to the forum first, rather than post the wikipage first. ;-)

-- Albert Schweitzer

#9 2013-03-13 14:31:03

nomorewindows

Just as long as awesome can be ported to Wayland, that would be awesome.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#10 2013-03-14 00:10:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

nomorewindows wrote:

Just as long as awesome can be ported to Wayland, that would be awesome.

Wouldn't bet on it, unfortunately. Development is basically a one-man show....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer