You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-16 23:49:53

FJ
Website

Multiple KDE sessions: what's the cause?

I run my own little Bash script that makes a DCOP call to KDE to change the wallpaper, and have put it in my crontab.  I can't say exactly when unfortunately, but recently I noticed that the wallpaper was no longer changing on the hour, but the crontab was unchanged.  So I manually ran the script from a console window and this is was it said:

ERROR: Multiple available KDE sessions!
Please specify the correct session to use with --session or use the
--all-sessions option to broadcast to all sessions.

I went into KSysGuard and saw two instances of kdm (root at "/opt/kde/bin/kdm" and root at -:0), as well as two instances of other processes, like dhcpd, hald-addon-stor, kjournald, pdflush, and smbd.  How many of these are supposed to show up twice?  I have no idea.

I normally run kdm from rc.conf and my inittab is set for run level 3 and not load kdm (instead of 5 as suggested in the Wiki).  This was never a problem, but I changed it to see if there would be any effect, and put a ! in front of kdm in the rc.conf daemons list and reboot.  But the error remained.

What's going on?  Any ideas?  I'm running kdebase 3.4.3-1.

edit: the udev thing was not an issue, or it no longer warns me.

#2 2005-11-19 01:48:19

FJ
Website

Re: Multiple KDE sessions: what's the cause?

I forgot to mention that when I look in the Switch User submenu, it only lists one session, on vt7.  So where is this other mysterious session?  Is there a bug introduced recently into DCOP?

Board footer