You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-14 10:27:48

Z4ndX

[SOLVED] cgdisk - Could not load from '/dev/sda' Aborting!

Hi.. im trying to install Arch Linux on my Mac Mini from around 2009/2010, which currently has Arch Linux installed. Its an older installation and i would like to renew my installation skills.. Or just get some smile

The thing is Im not sure if I should use UEFI or not. And i think that i currently have at GTP.
Anyway, when i run "cgdisk /dev/sda" it just pops up with the error "Could not load from '/dev/sda' Aborting!" and quits.. Google didnt really help me here, so Im counting on you guys.

Whats wrong with the cgdisk and should i use UEFI ?

Last edited by Z4ndX (2013-03-15 09:11:36)

#2 2013-03-14 14:45:47

srs5694
Website

Re: [SOLVED] cgdisk - Could not load from '/dev/sda' Aborting!

That message indicates damage to the partition table that cgdisk can't handle. In practice, it's most likely to happen if you specify an illegal filename. The latter might have happened if you ran cgdisk from OS X (since then the correct device filename would likely be /dev/disk0, not /dev/sda), if you lack a driver for your disk device (in which case /dev/sda wouldn't exist), or if you erred in typing the filename (such as "cgdisk dev/sda", omitting the leading "/").

If you're sure you typed the correct filename, try using the "verify" function in gdisk or sgdisk, as in:

sgdisk -v /dev/sda

Post the results here, in code tags.

#3 2013-03-14 16:40:39

Z4ndX

Im running cgdisk from ArchLinux live DVD and the disk is named sda.

fdisk -l:

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes, 625142448 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00002edb

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *          63      289169      144553+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2          289170   625142447   312426639   83  Linux

sgdisk -v /dev/sda:

Invalid partition data!
Verification may miss some problems or report too many!

Warning! Mismatched GPT and MBR partition! MBR partition 1, of type 0x83,
has no corresponding GPT partition! You may continue, but this condition
might cause data loss in the future!

Warning! Mismatched GPT and MBR partition! MBR partition 2, of type 0x83,
has no corresponding GPT partition! You may continue, but this condition
might cause data loss in the future!

Identified 2 problems!

Could it have something to do with, that one of the partitions is LUKS_crypt ?

#4 2013-03-14 19:44:24

s1ln7m4s7r

this means you have a mbr partitioned disk and not gpt.

if you don't need the data in your disk then you can delete all disk partition data and create a new one with sgdisk.

#5 2013-03-14 20:36:39

srs5694
Website

It looks to me like you've got conflicting GPT and MBR data structures on the disk. Chances are one of two things happened:

• You had a GPT disk and you decided to re-partition it using an MBR-only tool such as fdisk or certain Windows partitioning programs. The result is that there's old GPT data on the disk that you don't want but that's interfering with certain tools along with new MBR data that you do want. In this case, you should remove the old GPT data by using my FixParts program. (It's installed as part of the Arch gptfdisk package.)

• You had a GPT disk and some utility damaged its protective MBR, replacing it with a standard MBR. In this case, you want to return the MBR to a standard protective MBR, recovering your GPT data. You can do this by launching gdisk (not sgdisk or cgdisk) on the disk. It will respond by informing you of the damage and asking whether you want to use the MBR or the GPT data. Select the latter option (it's #2) and then save your changes with "w".

You'll need to know enough about your partitions to know which of those two scenarios is correct. Your fdisk output above shows your MBR data. To view your GPT data for comparison, you can launch gdisk and tell it to use the GPT data, then type "p". If that shows partitions that you don't want to use, then type "q" to quit without saving.

#6 2013-03-15 09:02:09

Z4ndX

Thank you srs5694.

I had an old GPT that was messing with me. I removed it with FixParts and installation went fine with MBR.

Thank you very much.

Board footer