You are not logged in.

#26 2013-03-15 02:40:17

lobo2

Re: [Solved] installation and setup question - gummiboot and EFI

Thank you for all the information. I have secure boot, but I don't think gummiboot is signed yet. I will use SSD disk encryption(picked this over truecrypt) and when gummiboot gets signed I will turn secure boot on. Should be secure enough for a personal laptop.

Here is what I will do -
1. mount bind the EFI/arch folder to /boot (so any upgrade gets directly written to ESP/arch)
2. I have a 200MB boot partition created already - so I will use that to backup files from ESP partition on a regular basis through a script or something. I'm sure I will be messing with the ESP, bootloaders etc for sometime and the backup will be useful one day. Basically this 200MB is dead space.
3. I will get the 3.8 kernel

I can't wait to get to my system. Thank you all very much.

Last edited by lobo2 (2013-03-15 02:45:59)

#27 2013-03-15 04:06:31

lobo2

Re: [Solved] installation and setup question - gummiboot and EFI

lobo2 wrote:

Thank you for all the information. I have secure boot, but I don't think gummiboot is signed yet. I will use SSD disk encryption(picked this over truecrypt) and when gummiboot gets signed I will turn secure boot on. Should be secure enough for a personal laptop.

Here is what I will do -
1. mount bind the EFI/arch folder to /boot (so any upgrade gets directly written to ESP/arch)
2. I have a 200MB boot partition created already - so I will use that to backup files from ESP partition on a regular basis through a script or something. I'm sure I will be messing with the ESP, bootloaders etc for sometime and the backup will be useful one day. Basically this 200MB is dead space.
3. I will get the 3.8 kernel

I can't wait to get to my system. Thank you all very much.

Works perfectly!  Kernel 3.8.2

I will probably turn the testing off once the 3.8 is released. I will copy the ESP over to boot(renamed to ESPCopy) partition and automate updating the kernel to this partition whenever there is a kernel upgrade. On to the post installtion...

Thanks for all your help and adding to my knowledge.

Board footer