You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-15 21:21:32

MagicSkyFairy

Downloaded catalyst-total-pxp, I type startx, and computer freezes.

So, I went through this fun process the other day of installing the proprietary drives.  It turns out I needed the powerxpress support, so I downloaded catalyst-total-pxp from the AUR and built it.  Everything seemed to install fine.  I then did

aticonfig --intitial

And that also seemed to work fine.

After that I placed these in the modprobe.d folder...

blacklist pcspkr
blacklist radeon
modprobe fglrx

And finally I added nomodeset in the /etc/grub/grub.cfg configuration file.

I rebooted the computer, switched to my amd, and used the startx command, where it proceded to freeze.  It gets stuck when it tries to load the GLX.

I saw that the wiki said that I might need to downgrade.  Is this true for the current versions of xorg, xf86-video-*, and libgl?

Here are my versions:

XORG: 1.13.3
Mesa-LibGL: 9.1-3

The Xorg log doesn't save precious logs for me, so I'm not sure what logs/conf files will help you, just let me know and I'll glady retrieve it for you.

Edit: Forgot to post my drivers:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6400M/7400M Series]

After a few tries I downloaded BOTH xf86-video-intel AND xf86-video-ati.  At first I only had the intel one.  Should I try with only the ati open source driver?

I feel like the amount of times I tried this that I must have had it atleast ONCE, so I feel like this is a driver issue, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  I'm a beginner so go easy on me, I've learned a ton just in the last few days of playing with arch on my own.

Last edited by MagicSkyFairy (2013-03-15 22:00:45)

I have wasted atleast a second of your time by making you read my signature.

Board footer