You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-16 22:04:28

smsware
Website

[SOLVED] Error while booting, related to nilfs2

I've just installed my fresh Arch and used nilfs2 inside vlm2 as my home partition. While booting, I'm getting these errors:

fsck: fsck.nilfs2: not found
fsck: error 2 while executing fsck.nilfs2 for /dev/mapper/TheVG-HomeLV

Other logical volumes are getting "clean" output while checked so it's not vlm-related; they are all ext4.

Partition is mounted and seems to work but I'm scared of just ignoring it and creating my user. ;-)

I have nilfs-utils installed. Is there any hook or module I need to add somewhere in order to use nilfs2 properly (like reiserfs hook)? There is nothing in the Wiki about this file system...

Edit: well, it appears that nilfs doesn't not come with check utility so I'm marking this as solved; sorry for garbage post...

Last edited by smsware (2013-03-16 22:07:55)

#2 2013-03-16 22:17:23

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Error while booting, related to nilfs2

I would imagine that this is because it is a snapshotting CoW filesystem. So it can be rolled back to a previous state very easily.

#3 2013-03-17 01:22:30

smsware
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

I would imagine that this is because it is a snapshotting CoW filesystem. So it can be rolled back to a previous state very easily.

Do I have to know something about that if I wanna use it? I mean, for btrfs, it was a lot of setting up but linfs2 just works now... I don't want to discover that I didn;t do something important in the beginning and now I've just lost all my work ;-). If anyone is happy with it's linfs2 installation, it would be great to enrich the Wiki... after some time, I will, I hope. ;-)

Last edited by smsware (2013-03-17 01:23:00)

#4 2013-03-17 01:54:10

WonderWoofy

By linfs2 I assume you are still referring to nilfs2, yeah? 

I have not actually used nilfs2.  I have read about it a bit here and there and it always sounds pretty interesting.  But I could never get past the large performance hit you inevitably experience when you have a continuously snapshotting filesystem.

The nilfs page has a manual page which lists all the man pages for the tools that are used with the filesystem.  From what I can tell, it appears that you are able to make these changes to a running filesystem.  Most notably there is the lscp, which appears to be "list checkpoints" so maybe you could start there and see where that man page guides you.

#5 2013-05-29 06:00:25

smsware
Website

After some time with nilfs2 I can tell you that I didn't noticed any LARGE performance hit. I mean, that may be because I'm not using my PC for some things that could actually show me the difference... still, I'm using it only as /home partition where I need the snapshots; I'm using it not as system backup but as backup for my work and personal files as I sometimes feel the need to go back in time... ;-)

#6 2013-05-29 15:17:48

WonderWoofy

Hey, thanks for the update smsware.  Hmmm... this makes nilfs2 sound very interesting indeed.  Maybe I will give it a whirl.  I have btrfs now, but I am really bad about actually making snapshots, and have so far been too lazy to script it out.  But if something was doing it for me....

#7 2013-05-29 15:57:15

smsware
Website

As there is no fsck utility and as it actually is planned to be created (I read that it's needed because the fs can easily crash on power loss; still, it can be recreated, as you stated)  - there is a warning while building the kernel. I deleted fsck hook to not see it as my /var and root are sub-volumes of btrfs partition which doesn't need fsck as well. I made a service to umount, fsck and mount back the /boot (ext4) and uefi partitions... just to let you know what you can expect. But it's great anyway, snapshots are really easy to mount and use. I thought it has no wiki page because it's not popular (and probably for a reason) but now I believe it's because there is nothing to write about... it just works. ;-)

Last edited by smsware (2013-05-29 15:58:26)

Board footer