You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-17 11:21:40

nervater

[SOLVED] Gnome 3.6: Battery/power icon missing from panel

I've recently ressurected an old Arch laptop that had been lying dormant for a year or a half. Everything's been brought up to speed (pacman -Syu plus a lot of systemd study) satisfactorily except I've noticed that the battery/power icon on the panel is missing. Due to the long time since the install, I have no idea if this is due to an error or some old brilliant idea setting from my side a year or more ago :-(

What I've tried:
* Disabling all extensions (a lot of posts about the system monitor extension causing this -- I've never used it). Extension turn off registers but still no battery.
* Checking htop and gnome power  statistics to see if the system knows about my battery. Both report in detail about the battery.
* Checking /usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/panel.js to see if the power applet had been excluded somehow. Nope, it's listed.
* Checking dconf to see if I could find some setting there. Ubuntu user posts led me to org.gnome.power-manager but unlike those users I found no setting relevant ("icon-policy")
* Checking gnome settings and tweak settings. Found nothing that seemed relevant.

A lot of posts about this pops up around gnome 3.2 which apparently had a bug with this problem. I'm not sure what version gnome-shell was before the update but currently it is 3.6.3 and the laptop has been rebooted and had gnome-shell restarted any number of times since then.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by nervater (2013-03-23 16:11:17)

#2 2013-03-21 03:40:30

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome 3.6: Battery/power icon missing from panel

Create a new user (you don't have to keep it), and see if a fresh account still has this issue/feature.

#3 2013-03-23 16:05:41

nervater

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome 3.6: Battery/power icon missing from panel

Good point, WonderWoofy.

I created a guest account and found the icon on the panel when I logged in as guest. A bit of guessing located the problem to my dconf database and using gsettings to locate any power/battery-related settings pointed me to

org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power

which had been deactivated. Clicking 'Active' and restarting gnome-shell solved my problem.

Board footer