You are not logged in.

#551 2013-03-15 09:05:02

chickenPie4tea

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

fabertawe wrote:
chickenPie4tea wrote:

how do you make a symlink to a folder?
If I rightclick and choose new link - it only seems to want to let me link to a particular file

It works here. Also, try left-click-drag, hold down CTRL+SHIFT, release and rename.

Thanks - I must be dong something wrong - if I choose folder it does make a link but without any arrow icon to show it's a linked folder.
Thanks for the keyboard shortcut though as that works great.

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#552 2013-03-15 12:57:32

IgnorantGuru
Website

Andevellicus wrote:

Hi,
I just installed SpaceFM, and I was excited to start using it, however I'm running into a strange problem. For some reason I can't click on the global menu bar with my mouse. If I hit the Alt key the menu items become underlined, but if I hit the respective letters (ie, 'F' for File), nothing happens. If I move away and do something else, SpaceFM will randomly take back window focus and start opening menu items. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I've tried the git version, nothing really seems to help....

I'm running Openbox 3.5 with Conky and nitrogen to manage my wallpapers.

This sounds like a system level problem, perhaps a malfunctioning GTK theme, beneath the application level.  Or, if could be a third party program in use is interfering with GTK or with the X events.  Because it is a lower level problem, you may need to reboot or restart X when testing another theme or software combination.  No other reports like this to date.

#553 2013-03-15 13:13:47

IgnorantGuru
Website

nierro wrote:

Hi! I may have found a bug: in the "design mode", in the menu of the "leftmost tool icon", i can't add "back menu" and "forward menu": they show no submenu when clicked. (http://postimage.org/image/e5os2v0m5/)

To see the design menu for Back Menu, you need to first close the menu (click on it) and then right-click on 'Back Menu'.  This is true of any submenu as documented here.  It does work a little odd because GTK wasn't designed for right-clicking on a submenu.

And, a little feature request: a little option to have the devices toolbar autoshowing when a new disk is mounted/plugged in.

No plans to have Devices autoshow on insert, but you could add this functionality by right-clicking on the Devices list and setting Settings|Auto Run|On Insert to:

spacefm -s set devices_visible true

Or for more control set an event handler.

(Btw, socket property devices_visible seems to be missing from spacefm -s help - an oversight which will be corrected in 0.8.7 - but it still works even if not listed in help.)

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2013-03-15 13:19:09)

#554 2013-03-15 15:31:59

nierro

@ignorantguru: thanks, those tips solved my problems smile

#555 2013-03-18 10:33:20

J.

In a plugin script, is there a way to get the total number of tabs in a panel?  I would also like to be able to call existing actions (menu items) - ATM, I'm just using emit-key, which seems hacky and bad since those keys might change.

#556 2013-03-18 16:39:52

zeltak

hi again ignorantguru

i know im an idiot but i still need some help with the sort toggle script

you suggested using this code

value=$(spacefm -s get sort_ascend) (( new_value = 1 - value )) spacefm -s set sort_ascend $new_value

Do i need to put a sort mode in 'value' , how does that work? do you mind giving me an example of the code to toggle (A/D) for sort by name ?

best and sorry for being slow smile

Z

#557 2013-03-19 08:53:08

nierro

Another strange issue here: since 0.8.6 (and in 0.8.7 still present) spacefm --destkop will show "none" as desktop wallpaper image (in preferences), but it handles the desktop image normally: a screen to clarify: http://postimage.org/image/cby9img9f/full/ . As you can see, wallpaper is set to none, even if i change the image, it will show "none", but spacefm --desktop works well anyway.
I'm using 0.8.7-gtk2.

#558 2013-03-19 22:11:24

IgnorantGuru
Website

J. wrote:

In a plugin script, is there a way to get the total number of tabs in a panel?  I would also like to be able to call existing actions (menu items) - ATM, I'm just using emit-key, which seems hacky and bad since those keys might change.

As of 0.8.7 you can use

spacefm -s get tab_count

or

spacefm -s get --panel 2 tab_count

As for emit-key, I'll consider an activate method analogous to show-menu.

#559 2013-03-19 22:22:10

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

you suggested using this code

value=$(spacefm -s get sort_ascend) (( new_value = 1 - value )) spacefm -s set sort_ascend $new_value

Do i need to put a sort mode in 'value' , how does that work? do you mind giving me an example of the code to toggle (A/D) for sort by name ?

sort_by sets the sort column (name, size, etc).  sort_ascend sets whether that column is sorted ascending or descending.  So whatever sort_by is set to, the code I gave you will toggle ascending/descending in that column.  Just paste this into a terminal while a spacefm window is open:

value=$(spacefm -s get sort_ascend); (( new_value = 1 - value )); spacefm -s set sort_ascend $new_value

The first command places the current value of sort_ascend into $value.  The second reverses the value of $value (1 becomes 0, 0 becomes 1) and places the result in $new_value.  The last sets sort_ascend to $new_value.

The above code is equivalent to clicking the column header of the current sort column.

If you merely want to set it to sort by name and sort ascending, just use

spacefm -s set sort_by name
spacefm -s set sort_ascend 1

#560 2013-03-19 23:34:48

J.

IgnorantGuru wrote:
J. wrote:

As of 0.8.7 you can use

spacefm -s get tab_count

or

spacefm -s get --panel 2 tab_count

As for emit-key, I'll consider an activate method analogous to show-menu.

Thanks, works great.

One more thing: what is a 'Natural' sort, and why does this button affect the case-sensitive sort button?  And I was expecting/hoping case-sensitive to mean upper-case characters sort before (or after, doesn't really matter) lower-case ones, so that, e.g., 'A' < 'B' < 'a' < 'b'.  What it really seems to do is make the order of files with the same lower-case representation determinate - I can't see why you'd ever want this not to be the case.

#561 2013-03-20 00:56:16

IgnorantGuru
Website

J. wrote:

One more thing: what is a 'Natural' sort, and why does this button affect the case-sensitive sort button?  And I was expecting/hoping case-sensitive to mean upper-case characters sort before (or after, doesn't really matter) lower-case ones, so that, e.g., 'A' < 'B' < 'a' < 'b'.  What it really seems to do is make the order of files with the same lower-case representation determinate - I can't see why you'd ever want this not to be the case.

There was some issue with making a non-natural sort case sensitive, but I don't recall all of what was involved - had something to do with character sets, and the alternatives were not efficient.  You can see the sort function here (that's as of 0.8.7).  I see a FIXME there so I may need to revisit that.

Natural is alphabetical vs ASCIIbetical, and in SpaceFM's case, a natural sort also uses "linguistically correct rules for the current locale".

Here are some filenames I use to test the case sensitive sorting functions:

Case Insensitive

test1
Test1
test2
Test2
test3

Case Sensitive

test1
test2
test3
Test1
Test2

I think that's correct for how natural case sensitive sorts are done.  I think what you want would be the non-natural case sensitive.  I think the issue may have been that both g_ascii_strcasecmp and g_ascii_strncasecmp functions are case insensitive when used on utf8, so the only efficient way I found to do this would be to cache a casefolded string when the dir is loaded.  I didn't want the speed and memory expense (in addition to the collate keys for case sensitive and insensitive natural sorting) for what I thought was an unneeded mode - it looked so ugly to me I couldn't imagine anyone wanting it.  Plus caching the data for the 99% of people who won't use it is a waste, but if I don't cache it if the option is off, and then its turned on, the directory has to be hard-reloaded, which would involve multi-threaded code into the vfs just for this.

Unlike requests for natural and case sensitive, you're the first to raise this issue.  But if you seriously want it (try some tests first), you're welcome to open an issue and I may at least look the ramifications over again.  Short story - it just didn't look useful compared to the expense.  Or, if someone knows a case sensitive UTF-8-compliant compare function in SpaceFM's dependency libs, I'm all ears.  The only one I see is the natural one (g-utf8-collate-key with g-utf8-casefold).  And display names in SpaceFM are not mere ASCII, they're UTF-8 encoded, which was the snag.

In addition, the possible options for specialty sorts are virtually endless, so its a case (no pun intended) of where to draw a practical line.  But since there's already an option for it, an efficient way to do it would be nice.  I suppose it could cache the values on demand as it's sorting - this still would require some tweaking in the vfs memory, and would still use slightly more memory even for those not using the option.  Or I could just casefold it on every sort, which would be very slow compared to normal sorting, but would only affect those using that mode.  Whether it would be noticeably slower to the human eye, probably not.  So that would be a very easy way to provide the capability.  Maybe I'll look that over.

That was the short answer.  smile

EDIT:  Actually the 'sort' program does its case in/sensitive sorts the same way as SpaceFM, even without --human-numeric-sort.  In no way can I get 'sort' to produce 'A' < 'B' < 'a' < 'b', at least that I saw - you can give it a try.

EDIT2: The efficiency issues had more to do with avoiding using an ascii function on UTF-8.  The problem with non-natural case sensitive seems to be that all the functions that sort UTF-8 case sensitive also use a collating sequence (which is based on locale), which basically makes them natural-style case sensitive.  I don't even see an inefficient way to do this, short of writing a custom function, perhaps with a translation table((basically a collating sequence) - ugly, especially considering locales.  Does anyone know of a case sensitive UTF-8 string compare function, preferably in C, which is 'A' < 'B' < 'a' < 'b' and doesn't add a new dependency to SpaceFM?

Also, you may be able to make SpaceFM's natural case sensitive sort behave the way you want by setting LC_COLLATE to use a custom collating sequence for your locale, if you can find/make one.  In theory.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2013-03-20 03:09:40)

#562 2013-03-20 10:11:52

J.

Hmm, I see.  So it seems 'natural' means two things: sorting is alphabetical (two different characters are sorted independent of case), and numbers are sorted numerically.  What I think I want is the latter, but not the former - so only 'partially' natural, or something.  This is probably quite a specific use case, so I wouldn't worry about implementing it unless it makes sense to anyone else.

I'm not sure about a C implementation, or what you mean by 'casefold', but the Python 3-liner on the page you link actually does exactly what I want (standard strings are unicode in Python 3, and built-in sorting is done on a per-character basis based on the character's code).

Also, I note that SpaceFM's natural case-insensitive sort gives 'a' < 'A' < 'B' < 'b', which is a little weird.

#563 2013-03-20 14:48:18

IgnorantGuru
Website

J. wrote:

I'm not sure about a C implementation, or what you mean by 'casefold', but the Python 3-liner on the page you link actually does exactly what I want (standard strings are unicode in Python 3, and built-in sorting is done on a per-character basis based on the character's code)

Also, I note that SpaceFM's natural case-insensitive sort gives 'a' < 'A' < 'B' < 'b', which is a little weird.

For natural case sensitive, SpaceFM uses collation keys generated by g-utf8-collate-key-for-filename.  For insensitive, as recommended there, it first does a g_utf8_casefold, so apparently that 'weird' ordering is what they intend.  You can see the note there: "Note that calling g-utf8-casefold followed by g-utf8-collate is only an approximation to the correct linguistic case insensitive ordering, though it is a fairly good one. Getting this exactly right would require a more sophisticated collation function that takes case sensitivity into account. GLib does not currently provide such a function.".  Another option would be g-utf8-strup or g-utf8-strdown to control this, but I assume they recommend g_utf8_casefold for this for a reason.

I'll note here one possibility for a non-natural case sensitive sort.  I came across this comment:  "you can convert the multibyte string into wchars (mbrtowc) and then use wcscasecmp which unfortunately is a GNU extension, not a part of standard libraries" here.  (He later admitted he had answered the wrong question, so don't let the original question fool you.)  That would take some work to explore - not a priority to me but if someone wants to come up with a function for this I'll consider it.

#564 2013-03-20 15:08:39

IgnorantGuru
Website

nierro wrote:

Another strange issue here: since 0.8.6 (and in 0.8.7 still present) spacefm --destkop will show "none" as desktop wallpaper image (in preferences), but it handles the desktop image normally: a screen to clarify: http://postimage.org/image/cby9img9f/full/ . As you can see, wallpaper is set to none, even if i change the image, it will show "none", but spacefm --desktop works well anyway.
I'm using 0.8.7-gtk2.

It sounds like maybe gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_scale fails to create a thumbnail on the image you're using -  this would explain it, in which case you'll likely see a warning if you run the initial instance of spacefm in a terminal, and you might solve it by choosing a different image.  EDIT:  It's also possible that whatever library gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_scale uses to create the pixbuf is broken on your system, eg reinstall gtk.

You might try 'killall spacefm', then examine ~/.config/spacefm/session in a text editor.  In the [Desktop] section, you should see a line 'wallpaper=your_wallpaper_path'.  If you then start SpaceFM and open Preferences, it should show that filename rather than "(None)".  I don't see any changes to affect this in 0.8.6.  It's also possible you've encountered some weird bug in the gtk file chooser button (wouldn't be the first).  You might also see if the filename of the wallpaper has any impact (eg is it a plain ASCII name or something else).  If you can find what triggers this problem that might be helpful.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2013-03-20 15:10:21)

#565 2013-03-26 17:46:39

IgnorantGuru
Website

Update 22-Oct-2013:  The forum referenced is no longer in use.

I encourage Arch users to migrate some discussions to the new forum - for one thing it provides the ability to add new topics instead of everything being in one massive thread.  It also makes the discussions visible to more users (other distros, etc), which spreads the info and helps me avoid answering duplicate questions.  The SpaceFM project is spreading to quite a few distros and spawning little sub-projects (such as a recent cross-compilation on OpenPandora), so I'm trying to centralize my involvement and limit duplication.  If I get drawn into too much discussion, dev work slows down.

I'll still keep an eye on this thread as well - I like participating here because Arch users have taken such an active role in SpaceFM's development, and are often willing to be early testers - thanks!

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2013-10-22 16:54:26)

#566 2013-03-26 17:53:11

anonymous_user

Apparently I made an account on their forum in 2009. Well at least won't have to create a new account big_smile

#567 2013-03-28 20:25:03

nierro

IgnorantGuru wrote:

It sounds like maybe gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_scale fails to create a thumbnail on the image you're using -  this would explain it, in which case you'll likely see a warning if you run the initial instance of spacefm in a terminal, and you might solve it by choosing a different image.  EDIT:  It's also possible that whatever library gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file_at_scale uses to create the pixbuf is broken on your system, eg reinstall gtk.

You might try 'killall spacefm', then examine ~/.config/spacefm/session in a text editor.  In the [Desktop] section, you should see a line 'wallpaper=your_wallpaper_path'.  If you then start SpaceFM and open Preferences, it should show that filename rather than "(None)".  I don't see any changes to affect this in 0.8.6.  It's also possible you've encountered some weird bug in the gtk file chooser button (wouldn't be the first).  You might also see if the filename of the wallpaper has any impact (eg is it a plain ASCII name or something else).  If you can find what triggers this problem that might be helpful.

I tried killing spacefm, and in .config/spacefm/session, i can read the right path to the image. Btw, restarting spacefm, in properties/desktop/ it always shows "none".
The filename is: "-Snoopy-Woodstock-peanuts-Peanuts-comic-Strip-Fresh-New-Hd-Wallpaper--.jpg", so nothing strange there. (i tried with another wallpaper, and the problem was still there.)
I'll try to reinstall gtk2, and let you know.
EDIT: btw no errors while running spacefm --desktop from a terminal window.

Btw, i'm now using openbox, and conky with spacefm gtk3 isn't working good again (if you remember, i had problems with xfwm and spacefm gtk3. With gkt2 version, everything is good.

Last edited by nierro (2013-03-28 20:28:19)

#568 2013-04-04 13:07:20

IgnorantGuru
Website

For those experiencing a shifted background with a transparent panel, your input on this potential change is welcome.

#569 2013-04-07 10:21:38

raavas

I am having problems launching a Libreoffice spreadsheet from SpaceFM. The file does not open after doubleclicking it. This problem has appeared fairly recently after updating Libreoffice - it used to work before. Is this a Libreoffice issue or SpaceFM issue?

I am using OpenBox if this info helps.

#570 2013-04-07 10:43:40

IgnorantGuru
Website

raavas wrote:

I am having problems launching a Libreoffice spreadsheet from SpaceFM. The file does not open after doubleclicking it. This problem has appeared fairly recently after updating Libreoffice - it used to work before. Is this a Libreoffice issue or SpaceFM issue?

If it changed in the last day and you're using spacefm-git (next branch), you might try updating spacefm-git, as there was a recent correction.  Otherwise, please open an issue on this and include the contents of the Libreoffice desktop file (right-click on spreadsheet, select Open, right-click on Libreoffice, and select /usr|libreoffice.desktop).

#571 2013-04-07 13:34:37

anonymous_user

raavas wrote:

Are you able to run LibreOffice calc normally? Do you get any output if you run it from a terminal?

#572 2013-04-07 18:26:03

raavas

I am able to open the files I need in Calc from the program itself. Just that from SpaceFM it does not open. It just seems to start Libreoffice and then nothing, not even the Libreoffice's start-up dialog. 

If I start Libreoffice on its own, everything works ok.

The problem only applies to Calc.

I am using the standard SpaceFM, no git.

Last edited by raavas (2013-04-07 18:30:09)

#573 2013-04-09 19:53:59

xorgx3

I have to reinstall my system and spacefm and I have a small trouble. Before I could switched between tabs by my scroll. Now I can't do this. Anyone know what is the reason?

#574 2013-04-22 17:39:14

nierro

I finally could get rid of spacefm-gtk2 from aur, so i'm back on the gtk3 spacefm tree.
I had a problem with conky (dark background behind it) but now i managed to get it solved! May be someone will find this useful

own_window yes
own_window_type normal
own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_argb_value 255
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

Taken from: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1261713

#575 2013-04-25 18:05:08

raavas

raavas wrote:

This error was not SpaceFM-related, it was Libreoffice and is now solved.

Board footer