You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-23 02:48:39

joker_hs
Website

UEFI Live DVD boot hangs at 'Triggering uevents'

I'm trying to install Arch on my new laptop which came with UEFI. The beginners guide said that the laptop has to be booted in UEFI mode in order to be able to install grub 2 for UEFI.

I initially tried to create UEFI live USB drive but had no success, so I went and bought couple of DVD-RW(s) and burned the arch installation ISO on to them and booted in UEFI mode. During the boot I get the new Arch UEFI menu and it starts booting until it gets to 'Triggering uevents' and it just stops there waiting forever (doesn't take keystrokes too). Although Ctrl + Alt + Del works at that point. Could I be ignoring obvious problems somewhere? Help would be really appreciated, I've been breaking my head over this UEFI boot over last few days.

#2 2013-01-23 12:32:01

swordfish

Re: UEFI Live DVD boot hangs at 'Triggering uevents'

Ever tried it with a usb stick?

Arch_x64 on Thinkpad Edge E520 (Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD) + ITX-Desktop (Asrock H77M-ITX, Intel Core i3-2120T, 8GB RAM, 64 GB Samsung 830 SSD)

#3 2013-01-23 20:49:44

joker_hs
Website

joker_hs wrote:

I initially tried to create UEFI live USB drive but had no success,

Yes, I created live USB using dd and was able to get installation working using legacy boot. Everything worked fine until I had to install bootloader. I was not able to install traditional grub and when I checked the guide, it said I have to boot in UEFI mode inorder to install grub2-UEFI. Which is what I'm not able to do.

#4 2013-01-23 21:06:34

swordfish

Hmmm, maybe a buggy BIOS/EFI on the laptop. What kind of laptop is it?

Arch_x64 on Thinkpad Edge E520 (Intel Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD) + ITX-Desktop (Asrock H77M-ITX, Intel Core i3-2120T, 8GB RAM, 64 GB Samsung 830 SSD)

#5 2013-01-23 21:20:16

joker_hs
Website

Its Lenovo Y400.

#6 2013-01-23 21:29:21

swordfish

Just to be sure - you could try to boot a different live distribution (say Ubuntu) in uefi mode. If this works, I would recommend to re-format your usb stick following the wiki.

#7 2013-01-23 21:42:20

joker_hs
Website

Tried Ubuntu (In case anyone else bumps, its Ubuntu Secure Remix). No luck for me. Unfortunately, the same live USB I created (for Ubuntu) worked on a different laptop with UEFI boot and installation worked perfectly.

For me, in fact, if I could boot any distribution in UEFI, I could just install bootloader from it (because I already have everything else installed), I don't necessarily need to boot arch. But as I checked some other posts, people had more success booting arch iso than any other distribution in UEFI mode.

Follow up question: If it infact is a problem with my UEFI firmware, can I do anything about it?

#8 2013-01-24 10:07:53

swordfish

joker_hs wrote:

Follow up question: If it infact is a problem with my UEFI firmware, can I do anything about it?

Hm I would say there are two options:

1. Have a look if there is a firmware update from Lenovo that fixes the buggy BIOS.

2. Forget about UEFI (just for the moment) and install Arch in legacy mode. If you look into the BIOS menu, you will find a switch that allows you to decide on using UEFI, legacy or both.

#9 2013-03-18 12:15:50

rtshadow

I've got the same problem with 2013.03.01 release both on live DVD and usb.
When I try it in UEFI mode (Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI option) I get:

running early hook [udev]
running hook [udev]
Triggering uevents...

and then it freezes.

Interesting thing is, that UEFI shell starts without problems and it seems operating.
Also, Live DVD works fine in Legacy Mode (aka BIOS mode).

My motherboard is: Gigabyte B75-D3V

Is there anything else I can try except updating the firmware?

#10 2013-03-18 12:27:31

s1ln7m4s7r

Does your board have an option  to activate/desactivate "IOMMU"?

If it does, try activating it, if it isn't already and try again.

EDIT: I haven't tried to install grub in legacy mode. When you run

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=arch_grub --recheck --debug

in legacy mode does it break and says it can't install? Because i think the only thing it won't be able to do is to create an efi boot entry, because it won't be able to access efivar variables.

Also, do you really need your bootloader to be grub? If not, you can try refind.

In legacy mode you can install and setup refind, then reboot into the uefi-shell (v2) using arch cd and do

bcfg boot add 0 fs0:\EFI\arch\refind\refindx64.efi "Arch Linux (rEFInd)"

where fs0: is the mapping corresponding to the UEFI System Partition (in my system my efi partition is "fs1:"). If you run the command "map" it will list all filesystems available. You can always enter in a filesystem by writing fs0:, fs1:, fs2:, etc, and run the command "dir" or "ls" to see its contents.

You can also run your .efi file directly from efi shell!

(You can also use this to run the grub .efi in the case that grub2 installs in legacy mode)

bcfg boot add 0 fs0:\EFI\arch_grub\grubx64.efi "Arch Linux (grub)"

Last edited by s1ln7m4s7r (2013-03-18 12:47:27)

#11 2013-03-18 13:35:15

swordfish

rtshadow wrote:

I've got the same problem with 2013.03.01 release both on live DVD and usb.
When I try it in UEFI mode (Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI option) I get:

running early hook [udev]
running hook [udev]
Triggering uevents...

and then it freezes.

Have you created an UEFI bootable USB from ISO?

rtshadow wrote:

My motherboard is: Gigabyte B75-D3V

Is there anything else I can try except updating the firmware?

If there is an firmware update available, I would recommend installing it. UEFI is still some kind of a "moving target" and a firmware update can help.

#12 2013-03-19 20:29:02

rtshadow

s1ln7m4s7r wrote:

Does your board have an option  to activate/desactivate "IOMMU"?

Yes, VT-d is activated.

s1ln7m4s7r wrote:

EDIT: I haven't tried to install grub in legacy mode. When you run

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=arch_grub --recheck --debug

in legacy mode does it break and says it can't install? Because i think the only thing it won't be able to do is to create an efi boot entry, because it won't be able to access efivar variables.

Yes, efivars are problematic - the /sys/firmware/efi directory doesn't exist at all in legacy mode. "modprobe efivars" doesn't help, but I presume it's expected.

s1ln7m4s7r wrote:

Also, do you really need your bootloader to be grub? If not, you can try refind.

In legacy mode you can install and setup refind, then reboot into the uefi-shell (v2) using arch cd and do

I've managed to install refind by following https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … ing_rEFInd, but when I choose arch linux in refind screen, system starts to load and then freezes after:

[ OK ] Started udev Coldplug all Devices
[ OK ] Started Load Random Seed.

Any ideas?

P.S. I need to use

on every computer restart - after I do bcfg and reboot pc, refind screen is shown. I reboot again and refind is not loaded. Is this normal?

#13 2013-03-19 21:38:41

srs5694
Website

rtshadow wrote:

I've managed to install refind by following https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … ing_rEFInd, but when I choose arch linux in refind screen, system starts to load and then freezes after:

[ OK ] Started udev Coldplug all Devices
[ OK ] Started Load Random Seed.

That sounds like a missing driver or a need for some system-specific kernel options. It's also conceivable that a firmware update will help matters.

P.S. I need to use

on every computer restart - after I do bcfg and reboot pc, refind screen is shown. I reboot again and refind is not loaded. Is this normal?

No; that indicates a firmware bug. Look for an update from the manufacturer. If one isn't available, try wiping all the NVRAM entries and installing rEFInd (or whatever boot manager or boot loader you want to use) as EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi on the ESP. That's the fallback filename that's used when no boot loader is registered via efibootmgr or bcfg, so its entry can't be deleted. FWIW, I have the same problem with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P, which has Gigabyte's abysmal Hybrid EFI. If you've got the same type of firmware, I recommend you use BIOS-mode booting instead, if that's practical for you; it's much more reliable with that firmware design.

#14 2013-05-03 10:18:46

BillCosby

[SOLVED] I found the Problem, I needed "nomodeset" as a kernel option

I have the same exact problem.

I have an ASRock E350M1 board, and followed the instructions from the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … B_from_ISO) to create an UEFI bootable usb stick.
When I boot, it hangs at "Triggering uevents" and a weird display error (like a test image) occurs below the console output (which is still at the top of the screen).

I am using the refind method, since gummiboot didn't boot at all.

Legacy boot works fine. In the German section (https://bbs.archlinux.de/viewtopic.php?id=21824) someone had a similar problem, and the culprit was the SATA3 connector on his motherboard, plugging his hdd to a SATA2 connector solved the issue. However, I don't have a SATA2 connector on my motherboard, just SATA3.

Could it be the cable I use to connect to my hdd? I am using a SATA2 cable I guess, should I try a SATA3 cable?

I am at a loss here, regards,
Bill

Last edited by BillCosby (2013-05-03 15:02:14)

#15 2013-12-21 14:08:46

v43

hello
I have the same problem with a similar system (sapphire fusion e350 white).

this is what happens:
- usb stick:
   . uefi: hangs at triggering uevents
   . legacy: failed to load [some file]

- cd:
  . uefi: hangs at triggering uevents
  . legacy: hangs at triggering uevents (adding nomodeset to the kernel parameters doesn't help)

EDIT:
using loglevel=7 I found that:

[Firmware Bug]: ACPI: No _BQC method, cannot determine initial brightness

SOLVED: setting ACPI=off or better acpi_backlight=vendor

Last edited by v43 (2013-12-21 14:27:29)

Board footer