You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-19 20:38:30

ctown.myth

[SOLVED] Arch very slow at boot, high HDD usage

Hi,

After an upgrade today (I don't know exactly what packages I upgraded, but it had been around 2 days between when I did it last), my Arch install has been very slow booting up. There is VERY high hard disk usage while booting, and I get the following messages that I never used to get before:

1 - stalling at running cleanup hook
2 - A start job is running dev-sda2.device (/home)

When it has fully booted up into KDM, any keyboard press and the HDD is paging again and things slow to a crawl. I tried logging in, but 10 minutes in and things were still loading.

I suspect that I might have lost my journal or suffered extreme file system corruption, but I have done nothing of the sort, after the upgrade Arch had a clean shutdown with no out of place messages.

Right now I'm at school, so I won't be able do more debugging, but once I get home, I'll try and do fsck from the live USB.

Thanks!

EDIT: I looked at the systemd wiki, and added noauto,x-systemd.automount to fstab and now instead of saying "A start job is running..." it's now showing: "...recreate volatile files and directories..."; it came and went so fast I didn't have time to read the entire line.

Last edited by ctown.myth (2013-03-20 00:16:20)

AKA MyCookie!

#2 2013-03-20 00:15:43

ctown.myth

Re: [SOLVED] Arch very slow at boot, high HDD usage

So, after coming back home, I booted up the live USB and did fsck -fpv on both root and /home. After that I was at a loss so I restarted, and everything seems to be working now.

I will mark this thread solved, however if someone knew exactly why this happened and what to do in the future to prevent it, it would be eternally helpful!

Anyways thanks Arch Forums for nothing /s big_smile!

Last edited by ctown.myth (2013-03-20 00:16:05)

AKA MyCookie!

Board footer