You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-19 08:58:33

Wilco

Systemd automount luks partition in background

A bit of a technical story for systemd experts.

Systemd causes a few seconds delay on boot when it automounts all fstab entries and one of those entries is an encrypted volume. The problem is when I mount a data partition which is really not important, i.e. it can wait until the system is completely booted. I can fix this by using noauto in crypttab and fstab or I can use a rc.local script to mount the partition manually. But how can I tell systemd this partition is not important and mounting this partition should never delay booting? Is it even possible with systemd?

/etc/crypttab:

data /dev/... /root/data.key

/etc/fstab

/dev/mapper/data      /mnt/data   ext4        rw,relatime  0 0

#2 2013-03-19 09:44:56

Strike0

Re: Systemd automount luks partition in background

Have you tried the "noauto" like described in the systemd wiki?

#3 2013-03-19 11:24:33

aesiris

Have a look at systemd.automount: man systemd.automount

It should suffice to add x-systemd.automount in fstab instead of noauto, then it will be mounted only the first time that something tries to access /mnt/data

#4 2013-03-20 08:04:23

Wilco

Thanks aesiris, I've tried this but it's the same. When I don't mount the encrypted data partition on boot the system goes from text mode to X within 2 seconds. If I do mount the data partition the console goes from text mode to framebuffer (not sure how to call it but when you got a higher resolution text console) and then to X. Guess what I want is not possible with systemd.

Board footer